Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Virgin America do Status Matching?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am in the same spot as you (mine ends 12/2). The website incorrectly says that I need to get to 20k pts to maintain my status and that my renewal date is 1/1/15. Meanwhile, I have 7450 status pts (all earned during the challenge) and 2 more RT F flights booked this month.

I just assume that the website is not set up to handle status matches. If it doesn't update properly at the end of the period, I will just call them.

It it too bad that I was not status matched to Gold because I will easily hit the requirements for that (I have the credit card so the challenge requirement is only 8k pts).
Old Nov 3, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I am in the same spot as you (mine ends 12/2). The website incorrectly says that I need to get to 20k pts to maintain my status and that my renewal date is 1/1/15. Meanwhile, I have 7450 status pts (all earned during the challenge) and 2 more RT F flights booked this month.

I just assume that the website is not set up to handle status matches. If it doesn't update properly at the end of the period, I will just call them.

It it too bad that I was not status matched to Gold because I will easily hit the requirements for that (I have the credit card so the challenge requirement is only 8k pts).
I got the card too, and thanks to work expenses ended up earning my first status point conversion last week. There's no clear indication of whether those count towards the challenge in the rules. It doesn't really worry me though, since I should hit 3k in actual flying status points by next Tuesday.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, VX Gold, SPG Gold

I'm assuming the same thing. Just had points post to put me over 8k, and renewal date still shows up as 1/1/15. Reached out to their twitter people yesterday and didn't get a reply.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by VegasGambler; Nov 6, 2014 at 1:45 pm Reason: replied to old post by accident.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Last week I mailed in for the status match (Gold, based on A3 *G), and the website shows I'm gold (expiring 1/1/15), but I haven't yet received the physical card or other info. I also signed up for the credit card (slightly BEFORE submitting for the status match request).

I'm not sure if I'll hit Silver (3k) or Gold (8k) before ~1 FEB 2015. It's a lot easier with the 5000 points gets 2500 bonus status points by 19 DEC bonus. Almost tempted to book a $434 F fare to Vegas rather than the $200 Y fare I would have otherwise selected, to make it more likely. Maybe a random Austin or Portland roundtrip in December as well.

VX Gold for 14 months for +$500 extra spend seems like a win.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As gold you are getting 4x pts in F during the FTE promo. That is 44% of the value of your fare back in pts. So, you should factor that into the decision.

I love VX F. If you book early the prices are comparable to MCS.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: PlatPro, Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by socalgecko
I got the card too, and thanks to work expenses ended up earning my first status point conversion last week. There's no clear indication of whether those count towards the challenge in the rules. It doesn't really worry me though, since I should hit 3k in actual flying status points by next Tuesday.
I emailed VX's customer support over the summer when I first signed up for the challenge, and they said status points earned by spend on the credit card *do* count: "On your first question, yes, those status points would count towards that requirement. Any status points will count towards the points required to maintain that Gold status."
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

VX is officially my favorite airline of all time

Originally Posted by rborkows
I'm assuming the same thing. Just had points post to put me over 8k, and renewal date still shows up as 1/1/15. Reached out to their twitter people yesterday and didn't get a reply.
Ok, so, update...

11 days ago, I sent an email to VX pointing out that:

1. When they status matched me to silver, they accidentally sent me the email with the gold requirements instead of silver,

2. I already completed the gold challenge requirements (after only 2 months)

3. I had several more trips already booked before the challenge period expired, and I would almost double the gold challenge requirements by the time my challenge period ended.

I asked if they could upgrade me to gold. I said that I thought it would be a nice gesture on their part.

I didn't have much hope, but the email only took me a few minutes to write, so what's the harm?

I actually never got a reply, but, today, when I logged in to my account, I found that my status had been ugraded to gold!

This is awesome. Double points!

I love VX. THIS is how you do customer service. I have no reason to fly with anyone else now.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, Marriott Tit
Dec 5: Requested status match via email. VX emailed back immediately "we’ll verify the credentials you submitted within 14 days and let you know as soon as we’ve approved your application. Once you’ve made the jump, we’ll send an email with a link to your Elevate Gold or Elevate Silver Digital Card and show you how to start taking advantage of your new benefits."

Jan 8: No further contact from VX. Sent email requesting update. Still no response as of Jan 14.

This is NOT how you do customer service.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their email response is usually pretty slow, but they usually reply within the 2 weeks.

Was your request legit? ie, did you actually have the correct status to match? Also, did you log in to see if you actually were matched? When I asked them to upgrade me to gold, they did not reply, but they did it.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their email response is usually pretty slow, but they usually reply within the 2 weeks.

Was your request legit? ie, did you actually have the correct status to match? Also, did you log in to see if you actually were matched? When I asked them to upgrade me to gold, they did not reply, but they did it.
Yes and yes. No match.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Yes and yes. No match.
Yeah, that is strange. You should definitely contact them -- I agree that not replying in over a month is unacceptable.

You could try calling but I strongly suspect that the CSRs will be unable to access that system and will ask you to email. It's still worth a shot though.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah. Last Thursday, I sent copy of VX's 12/5/14 auto-response to [email protected]. No response yet.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by SFOTerry
Yeah. Last Thursday, I sent copy of VX's 12/5/14 auto-response to [email protected]. No response yet.
My experience: Submitted Dec 31st - talk about last gasp. Matched Friday 1/16 COB. More or less the two weeks advertised. I called in to enquire after ten days as I was looking at booking a trip in mid march and wanted to know if the match would go through. CSR said they could see I had submitted for a match but it would be busy at the start of the year - you can see in other threads there have been several changes this year to Elevate and the system has been having some challenges in the new year. Match came, two trips booked already, working on the bigger one now.

Last edited by MarkedMan; Jan 19, 2015 at 8:38 am
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So my wife's match was processed on the 19th, and she got an email to that effect. I called on the 20th. The agent said she thought that VX was not currently doing status matches and I politely told her she was wrong. After a long time she got back to me and said yes, but they were very backed up and since my wife was done, I should hear something soon.

Still nothing. It's been 49 days now and we have a flight in a week. Don't know what difference that makes, but I have not yet made any future VX reservations, pending the match.

So frustrating.

Last edited by SFOTerry; Jan 27, 2015 at 5:33 pm Reason: math error

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.