Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

My first and last experience with Virgin America

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2013, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM, DL, Marriott Plat, CO, SW

I have status with UA and AA, so I've never tried Virgin America until yesterday. After what happened, I doubt there will be a second time. There were two unique experiences, and I'd be interested in any reactions.

Experience one: we show up at FLL after a cruise and try to put my brother- and sister-in-law on the nonstop to Los Angeles. They are not experienced travelers (as will become evident in Experience Two). I chose VX because a nonstop was offered to LAX from FLL, so no change of plane was necessary. Needless to say, they have no status with anybody. But it was a bit of a shock when I was told the seat reservations together I made for them four months ago had been dishonored (without notice) and since only middle seats were now left, they would be situated in different parts of the plane for the six-hour flight. I tried to get an explanation on how this could possibly happen, and was only told -- repeatedly -- "we don't guarantee seat selection." No other explanation.

Experience two: after minor turmoil, extended waiting, and finally speaking to a supervisor, two adjacent seats are somehow found, both on the aisle in the very back row. Fine. Then, while airborne, my brother-in-law does something that no FlyerTalker would do -- he puts his wallet in the pocket of the seat ahead, and gets off the plane in Los Angeles without reclaiming it. Remember that he is among the last few to exit the aircraft, with only an elderly couple following him out of the row and out the door.

After moving perhaps 50 feet towards baggage claim, he realized his oversight and turned back to the gate. Nobody had boarded for the next segment. But he was told by the gate attendant that he could NOT get back on the plane to retrieve the wallet. He was refused permission to go get it. Instead, the attendant supposedly asked a crew member to look for it -- and, surprise, the wallet could not be located. Despite assurances that "it might be turned in by the cleaning crew," he has, of course, heard nothing.

As a practical matter, the wallet (with $800, a DL and a couple of now-canceled credit cards) was stolen either by the elderly couple (extremely doubtful), the cleaning crew or the flight crew. We all know that putting anything of value in the seatback pocket is not smart. But is this refusal to allow reboarding to collect a missing item (especially so soon after exiting the flight) a standard procedure? Admittedly my brother-in-law was initially at fault here, but shouldn't he have expected more cooperation from Virgin America? Is there anyone I can call to complain? Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:17 pm

Sorry to hear that your family had a bad experience on one of our flights =( If you still have concerns about what happened, please contact customer care to let them know of the issues you had.

To quickly try and answer your questions:

Seat assignments are requests - not guaranteed. It is always intended to provide seat requests, but sometimes, res or gate agents need to move seats around to accommodate unaccompanied minors, handicapped guests, or other situations that arise etc. The best thing to do is ask the cabin crew to help locate seats together once on the plane. I have never not been able to find seats together when guests have boarded and asked me to help. We don't oversell, so there isn't a problem moving some things around to reseat guests.

In regards to the lost wallet, guests are never allowed to re-board the aircraft due to security reasons. We often have guests leave items behind, such as electronics, wallets, glasses, etc. As cabin crew, we are also cleaning crew, and when alerted of a lost item, we search for it for the guest. If the wallet hasn't turned up, please contact lost & found.

Hope I could answer these a little bit for you. Sorry again, you were disappointed in our service.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Advance seat selection problems are chronic among almost every (if not every) airline I frequent, especially when there have been aircraft swaps after the reservation is initially made (even if you end up with the same aircraft type at flight time).

I hope the wallet turns up. The gate agent did what (s)he had to do, unfortunately.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:01 pm

Sorry to hear about that experience-

Though... if you think about it, the airline DID try to accommodate after your concerns were brought up to a supervisor and got two adjacent seats.

Not being allowed back on the aircraft after deplaning is standard procedure. I've left a bag or a sweater before and the FAs have to go and get it for me since I can't go back on.

These aren't really valid complaints about VX... it's an awful thing that happened, but I wouldn't leave valuables in the seat back pocket.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:04 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
I've been a Founding Member of Virgin's FF program since 2007. From the inaugural flights SEA-SFO in 2007 and many more till now and i have never once had a bad experience. Im not saying that to discount what you went thru but for those who have had service issues, Ive only seen a better customer service focus from Virgin than any other carrier incuding AA where Im a million miler Platinum flyer.

Im sure if you write them of your experience they will do the right thing.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: United MP, Virgin America Elevate, JetBlue TrueBlue
I have to say if that's the worst experience you (or your relatives) have ever had flying, count yourself lucky!

If you stop flying airlines because of unexplained seat changes, you won't be able to fly any US airlines anymore. That said, I agree it is very annoying and frustrating to try to find seats together after pre-assigned seats were changed. Since they actually did get seats together, no comp is due. If they hadn't been able to sit together, I'm sure VX would have given them a voucher if they submitted a complaint.

In the future, note that flight attendants are also able to help--its not uncommon that people get stuck in separate rows for various reasons and they can often easily be re-accommodated onboard.

As for the wallet, no airline would let a passenger reboard after disembarking. While frustrating, there's no use arguing. I left something on board before, was told flight crew couldn't find anything, and then had it show up in lost and found a couple of weeks later, so make sure they have your brother's contact information. There's no point in complaining to anyone--nobody knows where that wallet went or can prove that it was there and it's not VXs responsibility to keep track of left passenger items. Hopefully it will still show up!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: AA Gold,DL Gold
Just curious did you book on the web or through another like orbitz or expedia?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.