Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

Anyone else notice GoGo is much slower since it became free?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2009, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I'm wondering whether the promo is causing enough usage to saturate the bandwidth available. Flying today BOS-SFO, simple pages like the FT forum pages take up to a minute to load, and it is not particularly variable. Of my 20 or so GoGo-enabled flights I've taken, performance is by far the slowest on this one.

Assuming more usage is the problem, personally I'm looking forward to January when the fees kick back in.

(Supporting this hypothesis: within 2 minutes of the announcement that carry ons should be put away in preparation for landing, performance sped up to the levels I'd seen on previous flights...presumably a bunch of people went offline.)

Last edited by MikeBOS; Nov 30, 2009 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 8, 2009, 5:49 pm

I have absolutely noticed that. Since it became free I flew them... five times? But I have also noticed some consistent areas where service was slow no matter what. Seems like too many people wanted to download stuff or watch videos.

Was reading http://www.gadling.com/2009/12/07/ai...+%28Gadling%29 the other day, and if true, then they can really use some upgrades to that in the future before it becomes completely unusable....
Old Dec 9, 2009, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cyby
I have absolutely noticed that. Since it became free I flew them... five times? But I have also noticed some consistent areas where service was slow no matter what. Seems like too many people wanted to download stuff or watch videos.

Was reading http://www.gadling.com/2009/12/07/ai...+%28Gadling%29 the other day, and if true, then they can really use some upgrades to that in the future before it becomes completely unusable....
Great article, and good to read about the forthcoming upgrades...
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:27 pm

Programs: VX,AA,Delta,UAL
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I'm wondering whether the promo is causing enough usage to saturate the bandwidth available.
Interesting observation. I hadn't noticed much slowness of the inflight gogo [BOS-LAX], but in the airports that Google is doing the promotion in, the speeds are really crawling. I would bet it all improves once the season ends. The upgrades will still be appreciated, though
Old Dec 10, 2009, 11:49 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles Gold, Hilton HHonors Diamond, and Royal Caribbean Pinnacle Club
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I'm wondering whether the promo is causing enough usage to saturate the bandwidth available. Flying today BOS-SFO, simple pages like the FT forum pages take up to a minute to load, and it is not particularly variable. Of my 20 or so GoGo-enabled flights I've taken, performance is by far the slowest on this one.

Assuming more usage is the problem, personally I'm looking forward to January when the fees kick back in.

(Supporting this hypothesis: within 2 minutes of the announcement that carry ons should be put away in preparation for landing, performance sped up to the levels I'd seen on previous flights...presumably a bunch of people went offline.)
I also think it is because of promo. I think with wifi being free, everyone with a wifi enabled device would jump on and use the service. Whereas if the service is for a fee, than less people will use it. More people using wifi = Slower Speed. At least there is wifi... i mean your traveling across the sky at hundreds miles per hour several thousand feet in the air, it's gonna take some time for all them data from all them computer to get to where they need to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.