Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Virgin America | Elevate pre 2018
Reload this Page >

So, who can we /actually/ get non-Y partner awards with?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

What it says on the tin. I'm not begging for a detailed list, but I am curious as to who we actually have a shot at being able to redeem with vs. who/which routes are listed on the website but should probably not be.

(This actually has practical implications insofar as I use Hyatt as my main hotel, but their rewards program is slightly sparse by comparison...but they offer co-earning on four of VX's five partners [not on VX, though, and not on Virgin Australia]; fees notwithstanding, I'm basically wondering whether to set that account to Virgin Atlantic, Singapore, or Emirates)

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Dec 2, 2014 at 11:02 am
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
(Please delete; I really should know to consolidate posts where possible by now...)
Old Dec 2, 2014, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can always just call Virgin and ask what availability they have.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
You can always just call Virgin and ask what availability they have.
lol, yes you can but you need to set aside like an hour of time to account for the difficulty in querying availability and inevitably slow computers.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bayhouse
lol, yes you can but you need to set aside like an hour of time to account for the difficulty in querying availability and inevitably slow computers.
There's this. There's also the question of narrowing things down by reputation (i.e. "Don't bother with airline X, they're impossible")
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:47 pm

Can only speak from personal experience, but I was able to book J on EK (both from MLE-DXB and DXB-LGW), and Upper on VS from LHR-LAX.

I was also told by an agent that J is frequently available on VA flights to/from LAX and Australia.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
There's this. There's also the question of narrowing things down by reputation (i.e. "Don't bother with airline X, they're impossible")
Doesn't it also depend how flexible your dates are?

There is a difference between there actually never being anything available, and there being very few award flights released.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Doesn't it also depend how flexible your dates are?

There is a difference between there actually never being anything available, and there being very few award flights released.
It depends on what the availability is. If it's "we let one or two out every few years", that might as well be "never available". If there's some seasonal availability, etc. then it depends...are we talking +/-3 days? A week? A month?
Old Dec 8, 2014, 12:53 pm

I just booked VS Upper Class SFO-LHR. Availability matched my search on VS site (and on delta.com FWIW)
Old Dec 10, 2014, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

I just went ahead and checked; at the very least, the capacity controls are exceedingly generous; I can find an Upperclass seat on basically every day with the odd exception of eight apparent blackout days and a few holidays where a reduced schedule is in effect. Granted, you might be stuck on the daytime flight EWR-LHR...but that's life.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.