Wiki Posts
Search

VX trying for Dallas Love

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
VX trying for Dallas Love

Dependent on being awarded the 2 DAL gates that AA must give up.
Sounds like DFW flights will transfer to DAL and ne DCA/LGA slots will be to DAL.
Chicago to come in 2015

http://www.virginamerica.com/press-r...expansion.html
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I wonder what would be cut other than DFW to add this flying.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Good move, if for nothing more than brand visibility in the Dallas area.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:22 am

Programs: UA G
^

While I realize that status is based on $s and not miles flown, offering consumers the ability to fly SFO-DAL-DCA at a lower price than SFO-DCA is pretty friendly.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Good move, if for nothing more than brand visibility in the Dallas area.
Agree ^. Plus, using DAL would be convenient to those headed towards the downtown area.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Can someone help me understand this? Not being from the Dallas area, why would this be a better move? Sounds like VX wants to exit sfo/lax - DFW and concentrate in ORD and DCA from DAL?

Either a brilliant move based on AA/US merger, or just another dart-board planning? I'm so confused....
Old Mar 5, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fishy21
Can someone help me understand this? Not being from the Dallas area, why would this be a better move? Sounds like VX wants to exit sfo/lax - DFW and concentrate in ORD and DCA from DAL?

Either a brilliant move based on AA/US merger, or just another dart-board planning? I'm so confused....
Love is close in similar to DCA in that you are quickly downtown. VX is shifting sfo/lax flights to DAL and adding LGA and DCA flights. Thus not directly completely with AA at DFW. VX product will likely win with business travelers compared to WN especially for flights to the coasts.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by gooseman13
I wonder what would be cut other than DFW to add this flying.
Not too much else probably. DFW saw 6 flights a day from SFO/LAX. ANC wont be returning and rumor has it SJC could be on the chopping block as well.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by SocalApproach
Not too much else probably. DFW saw 6 flights a day from SFO/LAX. ANC wont be returning and rumor has it SJC could be on the chopping block as well.
WN pretty much has a stranglehold on the intra-California commuter flights. VX has tried to be competitive by reducing the change fee on those flights, but it's still a bit behind WN's offering even when you ignore the frequency issue.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Here we go again. This sounds like Legend Airlines and AA at Love back in the 90's. It did not end well for Legend and AA lost their shirt on those flights.

The interesting wrinkle this time is that it is VX and WN battling it out. Can VX's more premium product beat the socks off a very loyal WN following at Love Field or will VX attract a more hip, younger traveler looking for more premium service at reasonable fares?

It's always interesting to see how these experiements work out!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 5:30 pm

Now, VX will have UA, AS, and DL, in addition to SW, battling them on the West Coast.

AA and SW battling them at greater DAL, where VX has a tiny position

AA and DL at DCA and LGA, , where VX has a tiny position

I hope they are well fortified for the battles (ie, look what UA did to them at EWR) to come!
Old Mar 5, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by SocalApproach
How will they add 4x LGA 4x DCA and 2x DCA without cutting anything other than ANC?
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by gooseman13
How will they add 4x LGA 4x DCA and 2x DCA without cutting anything other than ANC?
Vamos a ver!

1 stop SFO/LGA service is quite appealing. I also think that SFO and LAX OD will be happy with the more convenient DAL service. Remember, none of us out here are currently able to fly NS to DAL. I'm sure that DFW/DAL pax will be eager to have new options, too.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Originally Posted by fishy21

I think some of it has to do with the new slots that VX earned at DCA and LGA have distance restrictions tied to them (the existing DCA-SFO is using a "special" slot ... very few of the daily slots allow a flight beyond the perimeter). So SFO/LAX to LGA/DCA nonstop are out of the question, there has to be an intermediate airport somewhere.

So why Dallas Love as the intermediate airport ?
My guess would be because it's also constrained. VX's proposed service itself is based on the assumption that they'll be awarded AA's 2 gates. They'll be going head-to-head with probably the strongest competitor in the business, but VX and WN offer such vastly different products that maybe VX can steal some WN traffic. With the limited number of gates at DAL (per the agreement to abolish the Wright Amendment) it would be hard for another airline to start service and even WN would be limited in how many flights they could offer. While WN is firmly established at DAL, these specific routes as non-stop service will be new to them also. VX is proposing starting the DAL-SFO/LAX/DCA/LGA at the same time that WN would be permitted to start the service. If there's ever a time for VX to get their foot in the door, the day the Wright Amendment is dissolved would be the time.
Old Mar 5, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
So, they are going into airports where they can't possibly expand, in DCA, LGA, and DAL, because of slot/gate restrictions. Oh, and where WN can cream them on frequencies and destinations because they have MORE gates and slots.

All righty then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.