Wiki Posts
Search

US Immigration as a student

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Student

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and hoping that someone can help me with my problem. I know that I may sound a little paranoid but I am stressing a lot about my upcoming trip to the USA and hoping that you may have some informations that can reassure me.

Last edited by AnnaLowe33; Jan 19, 2017 at 5:08 pm
Old Dec 5, 2016, 6:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AnnaLowe33
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and hoping that someone can help me with my problem. I know that I may sound a little paranoid but I am stressing a lot about my upcoming trip to the USA and hoping that you may have some informations that can reassure me.

I am flying to Miami at the end of January with my mother, my boyfriend and two other relatives. We are all swiss citizens and we are traveling as part of the visa waiver program. We are staying in Miami just one night and then flying to Mexico for a ten days vacation. We are getting back home via Miami but not stopping (basically landing in Miami and boarding the plane back to Zurich a couple of hours later). I have been reading a lot of bad reviews about the immigration process in Miami and starting to get really scared. I have been to the States previously with my mother (Miami, Washington DC, New york and Boston) and did not have any problem at immigration (the officer barely looked at us). I study at the univesity (therefore I am jobless) but since I always passed immigration with my mom they never investigated about my financial situation. This time my boyfriend is coming with us on the trip and he is currently studying law at a university in Switzerland (he is also a swiss citizen and no criminal record). I am scared that we may be separated at immigration and that they give him problems because he has no job back in Switzerland. My mother is paying entirely for his trip (even though he is got savings so he could pay for himself without problems). Which documents should he bring with him? I was thinking about writing a letter signed by my mom where she states that she is covering the entire cost of the trip and also having him print his bank account informations to show that he has got some savings. We already have our plane tickets and have already paid for the hotel. Therefore we wont be actual needing a lot of money once in states besides some cash to go shopping. I should also add that he understands english but is not fluent at speaking it. He can speak fluently italian, german and french though.

If you have had some experiences with the us immigration and could advise me on the documents that we should bring I will be extremely grateful

Anna
If he's a student and the trip expenses are covered already and he has the means (including from family support) to cover incidentals, then it shouldn't be a problem on a thru-ticket especially.

If he gets an ESTA, then material problems are unlikely.

His university law school ID and online bank account statement is probably enough to address proof of ties to Switzerland. It's not like a Swiss law school student would be more employable in the US than in Europe.

With an ESTA, he and you shouldn't worry if you are following all the rules. Enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:53 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Moderator's Note:

I moved this thread to the USA forum as passport control and immigration questions for particular countries and territories are generally discussed in the Destinations forums.

TWA884
Travel Safety/Security co-moderator
Old Dec 5, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: GE
I have been to the States previously with my mother (Miami, Washington DC, New york and Boston) and did not have any problem at immigration (the officer barely looked at us).
I would think that they have better things to do usually, than scrutinizing Swiss citizens.

I study at the univesity (therefore I am jobless) but since I always passed immigration with my mom they never investigated about my financial situation. This time my boyfriend is coming with us on the trip and he is currently studying law at a university in Switzerland (he is also a swiss citizen and no criminal record).
Current enrollment in a degree program in Switzerland and family in Switzerland is evidence you can present that you won't overstay and that you will return home. So it's worthwhile to bring proof of student enrollment (student ID, upcoming course registration, so on)

I am scared that we may be separated at immigration and that they give him problems because he has no job back in Switzerland. My mother is paying entirely for his trip (even though he is got savings so he could pay for himself without problems). Which documents should he bring with him? I was thinking about writing a letter signed by my mom where she states that she is covering the entire cost of the trip and also having him print his bank account informations to show that he has got some savings.
While I can't offer any reassurance or guarantees that you'll be OK, I remind you that traveling for transit and tourism is a legitimate reason to visit the US. So even if you're challenged about it you shouldn't panic or worry. You're not trying to deceive the border agent.

If it helps anxiety, being prepared with bank statements and letter of support might make it easier to handle any question that might come up.

We already have our plane tickets and have already paid for the hotel. Therefore we wont be actual needing a lot of money once in states besides some cash to go shopping. I should also add that he understands english but is not fluent at speaking it. He can speak fluently italian, german and french though.
I would be surprised if any english more advanced than "we are going to mexico tomorrow" is necessary. But if somehow it is, he should try to get someone who speaks good english and italian/french/german (like you) to help translate, to minimize any possible misunderstandings.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Thank You! You're both right and I am probably worrying too much. The two times I went to New York the officers were extremely nice. I guess that I am worried because my experience at Miami was not really good. I was with two relatives in their 60s that did not speak english. They went before me to the officer and he asked something that they did not understand.Therefore they turned to me asking for help. The officer got up and started screaming "NO NO NO" and made them go back in line. Everyone in the room started looking at us and for the first time in my life I felt like I was a criminal. That's probably why I am scared that I won't be able to help him if necessary. I guess I am too young and inexperienced I will probably laugh at this situation in a couple of years. Thank You again
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:31 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Thank You! You're both right and I am probably worrying too much. The two times I went to New York the officers were extremely nice. I guess that I am worried because my experience at Miami was not really good. I was with two relatives in their 60s that did not speak english. They went before me to the officer and he asked something that they did not understand.Therefore they turned to me asking for help. The officer got up and started screaming "NO NO NO" and made them go back in line. Everyone in the room started looking at us and for the first time in my life I felt like I was a criminal. That's probably why I am scared that I won't be able to help him if necessary. I guess I am too young and inexperienced I will probably laugh at this situation in a couple of years. Thank You again
Miami CBP officials are indeed some of the worst I've encountered anywhere -- and I'm a free US citizen so they have to let me enter/transit -- but most legitimate international transit passengers/visitors with the appropriate travel documents to enter/transit the country for vacation elsewhere won't have a problem. Enjoy your vacation to Mexico with him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.