* CLT-BCN begins May 23rd w/A332

Related threads:

US Guide to CLT
The US A330-300
The US A330-200
The US B767-200
The US B757-200 (European Version)
PHL-EDI Summer 2014

Please update this Wiki with other additions/changes/gate info, etc.
Print Wikipost

Summer 2014 Flights from CLT

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Summer 2014 Flights from CLT

Flights between CLT and Manchester begin 23 May 2014 with B757.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:32 pm

not only Manchester but
Clt-Lis may 23rd 752
Clt-bru june 5th 762
Clt-bcn may 23rd 332

Weird. no announcement for any of theses?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cltflyer1
not only Manchester but
Clt-Lis may 23rd 752
Clt-bru june 5th 762
Clt-bcn may 23rd 332

Weird. no announcement for any of theses?
Indeed missed those. Maybe Mods could update the title.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Fantastic news. However I, like most on this board, are wondering where the heck US is going to park all these planes over on the D concourse. Aside from the very few gates on the B and C concourses that are able to handle a 757/767 sized aircraft, I can't imagine how this capacity will be absorbed, especially with GRU running year round.

And also, US, please give us a new club!!
Old Oct 19, 2013, 1:56 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Expect an official announcement on Monday.

I was expecting MAN, as it has been rumored for quite some time. However, BRU/LIS are a total surprise. I would have expected ATH or ZRH.

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Fantastic news. However I, like most on this board, are wondering where the heck US is going to park all these planes over on the D concourse. Aside from the very few gates on the B and C concourses that are able to handle a 757/767 sized aircraft, I can't imagine how this capacity will be absorbed, especially with GRU running year round.

And also, US, please give us a new club!!
CLT wasn't designed for the traffic it gets today. When Concourse D opened, all CLT had was a flight to both LGW and FRA, and a handful of flights to the Caribbean and Mexico.

Today, usually the MAD and DUB flight depart out of Concourse B, and usually one of the A330 flights (usually LHR) do as well. IIRC, B9/B10/B11/B13 can take A330s.

CLT really needs that new INTL Terminal.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Hmm. Noticed some of these on United while searching for award flights last week. Didn't know they were new.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by CLT
Expect an official announcement on Monday.

I was expecting MAN, as it has been rumored for quite some time. However, BRU/LIS are a total surprise. I would have expected ATH or ZRH.

CLT wasn't designed for the traffic it gets today. When Concourse D opened, all CLT had was a flight to both LGW and FRA, and a handful of flights to the Caribbean and Mexico.

Today, usually the MAD and DUB flight depart out of Concourse B, and usually one of the A330 flights (usually LHR) do as well. IIRC, B9/B10/B11/B13 can take A330s.

I have flown US from CLT to Europe many times and have always departed and arrived at Concourse "D". I completed two roundtrips to Europe in the past couple of months. All departed and arrived at "D" with the exception of one flight from CLT to LHR, A330-300, that departed from Concourse "B".
Old Oct 19, 2013, 5:29 pm

Programs: None
Originally Posted by CLT
l. IIRC, B9/B10/B11/B13 can take A330s.
Technically, almost all the B/C gates can take a widebody, at least for departure where customs/immigration aren't required. But nearly all those gates must have the adjoining gates empty to take the 330's wingspan. Plus, the gates on the ends of B/C can't take the length of an A330 without blocking movement past the end of the concourse.

Jim
Old Oct 19, 2013, 10:14 pm

This is a very interesting move, but a bit confusing as to whether it's merger or no-merger planning. If the merger closes, those routes will likely dissolve before they start. If it's NO merger related, it seems as though US is de-emphasizing PHL as its principal international hub and increasing the flow of connecting traffic to secondary European markets through CLT. On the other hand if US is joining OW regardless, then it may be restructuring PHL to support a OW international hub. Unfortunately, unless there are significant connecting arrangements established with BA, IB, QR, JAL, etc. at PHL, this will never occur with the present US fleet of 9 limited range 333s and 10 332s. If the plan is to accept US into OW regardless, I'd bet US, AA and BA already (today) have a joint NO GO plan in place for optimizing JFK/PHL.

My bet is that this move is related to Post merger/OW planning, else why would stand-alone US/*A Add/Duplicate seasonal, low yield flights at all, rather than expanding to new, year round European destinations from PHL?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
It appears that the BCN route is year round with the other new routes being seasonal. I had also heard that MAD from CLT will be going to year round service. Both probably due to the transfer to the OneWorld alliance and Iberia.

Also, someone mentioned the number of A333/A332 in the fleet. At year-end 2012, there were 9 A333 and 7 A332. Five A332 were delivered, or will be delivered, by year-end 2013. Four or more A332 aircraft are to be delivered in 2014 - can't remember exact number. I had also heard that 3 of the B762 aircraft would be retired at year-end 2013; however, according to the latest SEC filing, it shows all 10 still in the fleet. Regarding the B752's, I have heard 19 of the 24 are ETOP's.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by CLT

I think a big part of the challenge there is the highly seasonal nature of the international service from CLT - most of those widebodies are summer seasonal only. You wouldn't need that big fancy terminal year-round...
Old Oct 21, 2013, 7:48 am

Programs: US, HH
All four new flights are seasonal, as per this:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...rnational.html
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:28 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by perseus11
This is a very interesting move, but a bit confusing as to whether it's merger or no-merger planning. If the merger closes, those routes will likely dissolve before they start. If it's NO merger related, it seems as though US is de-emphasizing PHL as its principal international hub and increasing the flow of connecting traffic to secondary European markets through CLT. On the other hand if US is joining OW regardless, then it may be restructuring PHL to support a OW international hub. Unfortunately, unless there are significant connecting arrangements established with BA, IB, QR, JAL, etc. at PHL, this will never occur with the present US fleet of 9 limited range 333s and 10 332s. If the plan is to accept US into OW regardless, I'd bet US, AA and BA already (today) have a joint NO GO plan in place for optimizing JFK/PHL.

My bet is that this move is related to Post merger/OW planning, else why would stand-alone US/*A Add/Duplicate seasonal, low yield flights at all, rather than expanding to new, year round European destinations from PHL?
I thought after the collapse of Spanair, that US may reduce seats to Spain. The opposite has happened. There is enough traffic with or without merger.

I am just not one of those people who believes that if there is a merger all of the former US passengers are going to be routed through JFK, MIA, or LHR. There is a need for CLT AND PHL. The message I saw in the new service is a commitment to CLT even in a merger.

I am very sure that people in planning saw that the numbers were there to commit equipment and resources to the new routes. I remember when the economy crashes, people were upset the US cancelled money losing TATL routes like Oslo and Birmingham.

A random check it appears that AA does not serve BRU or LIS; BCN from MIA and JFK; MAN from ORD and JFK. If JFK is restricted, how are they going to move two additional MAN services there.

I think CLT is being prepped to handle a lot of the leisure TATL traffic. I sure as heck rather connect in CLT than MIA or LHR or PHL. IB is losing money like crazy and is shifting much of its intra-Europe flying to Vueling. You think your experience on the old US was not fun, try Vueling. The new AA will have 4 east coast international hubs, each with a different focus, JFK, MIA, PHL, and CLT.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:57 am

Programs: None
CLT is undoubtedly safe in a merger although it's size and international service may change. AA has no good Southeast hub and CLT fills that void nicely.

I view PHL with a little skepticism being so close to JFK. I understand JFK has no big shortage of "slots" except at the desired evening departure to Europe time frame. If true, earlier or later departures are possible, even morning departures.

Jim
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: AA, UA
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
CLT is undoubtedly safe in a merger although it's size and international service may change. AA has no good Southeast hub and CLT fills that void nicely.

I view PHL with a little skepticism being so close to JFK. I understand JFK has no big shortage of "slots" except at the desired evening departure to Europe time frame. If true, earlier or later departures are possible, even morning departures.

Jim
Agree with your view on CLT. I actually think both CLT and PHL are safe. If anything the merger (if approved) may result in growth for CLT and PHL. AA routes Europe bound traffic through ORD and JFK - with the merger this traffic can be rerouted through PHL and CLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.