Search

Possible to change FFP # mid-itinerary?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:33 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Possible to change FFP # mid-itinerary?

Just crossed the threshold on one FFP, want to start crediting to another. Am in the middle of a US-US 2-flight itin. Is it possible to change the # - or will it go back and retro-change the segment already flown?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:01 pm

Programs: None
Most carriers (and US is one) have a policy that allows crediting mileage to only one FF account so with US segments you could credit both segments to US, UA, or any alliance partner's FF account. You can't credit different segments to different FF accounts, however. It's to keep people from "double dipping" - getting a benefit from multiple carriers (upgrades with US FF# but credit to UA account, for example).

That's not to say that a particular agent may not change it for you, but that's the luck of the draw and what the res software will allow or do as a result of changing FF number.

Jim
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Understood. Yes - the US agent told me that they are literally incapable of modifying it in the system, so whether she would want to or not she would be unable to. I thought some airlines allowed it, but I guess it doesn't matter in the long run - will just start from next flight
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:40 pm

Some code-share or alliance partner carriers may allow it but US doesn't (nor does UA). Also, if you were traveling on non-aligned carriers with one ticket, like US and DL, the carriers would allow it since they wouldn't be providing perks to another carrier's FFer (US wouldn't credit miles for the DL segment or vice versa).

The ability to fly one carrier and credit miles to another carrier's FF program is almost exclusive to code-share and alliance partner's.

Jim
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Got it.

For future reference - should I have removed the FFP# from the reservation and done a retro-credit by snail mail?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:59 pm

My guess is that if you try retro credit, they're going to do it for the whole itinerary not just for whatever stub you send in.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:04 pm

At check-in for your second flight, ask the agent to change your FF number. It shouldn't be a problem with the right agent; its not double dipping. You might even try to change online. You'll earn miles on the first FF number for the first segment and the second FF number for the second segment. FF reporting is done based on each boarding report, not based on the PNR as a whole.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
For future reference - should I have removed the FFP# from the reservation and done a retro-credit by snail mail?
The simplest would be to not try to split the segments - leave it all on one carrier or the other. Since that's most airline's policy, it's also the safest and less prone to problems.

Jim
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The simplest would be to not try to split the segments - leave it all on one carrier or the other. Since that's most airline's policy, it's also the safest and less prone to problems.

Jim
Got it. Thanks again
Old Oct 1, 2012, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
That's not to say that a particular agent may not change it for you, but that's the luck of the draw and what the res software will allow or do as a result of changing FF number.
I can't comment on US's policy but on other airlines I've never had trouble getting a gate agent to change the FF program for a segment. However it's quite random whether it actually takes effect. Often airlines still end up sending the miles to the program on the reservation even though it was changed at the airport.

The other problem is that whenever I plan to do something at the gate I usually just plain forget.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, UA*S, A3*S, NEXUS, Accor Platinum, MLife Platinum
I am *G on AP, trying to migrate to A3 (and maybe subsequently to MP). I am currently on the second leg of an itinerary with US. I am connecting through PHX. I have tried to get my FFP changed at each of: customer service desk, gate, lounge, and exited to check-in counter and ALL CSRs refused to change the FFP for second leg (at gate, both CSRs emphatically agreed that what I was requesting was 'impossible'). Interestingly, each had slightly different reasons why not, but I was unable to find anyone who was willing to even attempt to implement the change.

Is there anything I could do differently to get the miles credited to another FFP?

Last edited by Nicodemus75; Dec 6, 2012 at 4:29 pm
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:06 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Nicodemus75
I am *G on AP, trying to migrate to A3 (and maybe subsequently to MP).
There is definitely an entry in SHARES that allows to change FF program (might re-quire off-loading, changing the FF program/number and checking-in - the process might be complicated and time consuming).

But... as AC*G you used *G perks - lounge (as documented in your post) and possibly free baggage allowance, so as you do not have status/club membership I am not surprised GA's refused to help...
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:29 pm

Programs: AC*E50K, UA*S, A3*S, NEXUS, Accor Platinum, MLife Platinum
I've seen literally SCORES of posts/threads where many, many posters talk about it being "...no problem..." to switch FF# at lounge or gate after booking/checking in with a *G FF#.

For example:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegea...crediting.html

In PHX on this connection, I tried to make the change FIVE seperate times and each time the various agent (Check-in, customer service, lounge & gate) all adamantly refused but suspiciously each gave different reasons, with some being slightly different and others being completely different, as to why they couldn't/wouldn't attempt the change.

This leads me to believe I made some kind of mistake in the process which led me to not having the miles credited the way I wanted.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:04 pm

US had a policy change earlier this year. They will not change FF numbers after departure from origin. They will also not change FF numbers before departure if any Preferred benefits (i.e. upgrade) were received. This is why the OP was told "no" five times in a row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.