Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sbbutler93
Update as of 17 Nov:

The DM website has been updated to show the following UA Express flight ranges as ineligible for mileage earning:

3330-3341, 3970-4084, 5083-5122, 5290-5479, and 6540 - 6548.

3330-3340 Trans States Airlines PHL-IAD, MDT-IAD
3975-4084 Silver Airways
5038-5122 Cape Air
5290-5479 Skywest
Print Wikipost

Flight Number Exclusion Per Contract - Miles on UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Flight Number Exclusion Per Contract - Miles on UA?

I recently flew a flight PHL-IAD-LAS on United metal with my Dividend Miles number in the booking. Checking my DM account now it shows the miles as posted - sort-a.

The IAD-LAS leg on UA1724 posted as expected (2,066 EQM + 2,066 Chairman Bonus)
The PHL-IAD leg on UA3339 is displayed as "Flight Number Exclusion Per Contract" on the activity page with no mileage shown (but oddly it increased my # of segments flown)

I've never seen this language before? Does anyone know what it means exactly? I have an open email to US customer support, but wondering if anyone has had experience with something similar happening?

Digging into it a bit more a few more random pieces of data:
- apparently this flight UA3339 is codeshared with US as US7465
- the tickets were all on US ticket stock (eg 037)
- but the travel agent (Priceline) made two payments one to UA and one to US
Old Aug 29, 2012, 2:26 pm

Often times Priceline tickets do not earn miles.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Often times Priceline tickets do not earn miles.
Probably should've clarified in the original post - this was a regular fare (not a name-your-own-price-fare) it just happened to be booked through Priceline since they had a cashback promo.

Looking again the tickets booked into "G" class which on the US Airways site shows it is mileage accruing. The true oddity to it to me is that the IAD-LAS leg accrued with no issue, while PHL-IAD is showing "Flight Number Exclusion Per Contract"
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: None
Code shares are restricted by the government for flights between the code-share partners' hubs. I remember before AA/BA got ATI some of the flights between the U.S. and U.K. didn't earn mileage for those FF's belonging to the non-operating carrier's FF program, i.e. AA FF's didn't earn mileage on the BA flights and vice versa.

Jim
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Code shares are restricted by the government for flights between the code-share partners' hubs. I remember before AA/BA got ATI some of the flights between the U.S. and U.K. didn't earn mileage for those FF's belonging to the non-operating carrier's FF program, i.e. AA FF's didn't earn mileage on the BA flights and vice versa.

Jim
That was a unique situation in an international market which was further complicated by the divorce terms when BA left US for AA.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 5:29 pm

I just logged into my Dividend Miles account to find the same "FLIGHT NUMBER EXCLUSION PER CONTRACT" message on a recent United flight.

My flight was MDT-IAD, operated by United Express, and I've received credit for this segment numerous times in the past.

Has anyone else seen this recently, and has anyone had luck getting the miles posted?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 9:00 pm

UA does have fare classes that don't qualify for mileage awards - I, O, R, & X. A note on the mileage accrual page says:

The booking class that appears on your ticket may differ from the class used to calculate your mileage earned. Please check with United Airlines if you have questions about your booking class.

Jim
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
I wonder if UA is using a range of flight numbers that have been excluded from US mileage somethime in the past. If so, it may be a need to update the valid flight number range to INCLUDE these flights in the US FF program. In order to get US's attention, you will have to find an agent or supervisor willing to look into this problem.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I have ALWAYS earned Preferred Qualifying Dividend Miles flying UAx operated by Skywest. I checked my account to see if my miles from Thursday had posted and found this: "SFO ONT 5422 T FLIGHT NUMBER EXCLUSION PER CONTRACT."

Ironically these 500 miles would have been enough to requalify for Gold. Luckily I have one more US flight scheduled this year.

Last edited by Michael El; Sep 2, 2012 at 10:18 am
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
I have also just encountered this -- a pattern for at least some of us appears to be United Express flights?

My routing was JST-IAD... again, I earned miles/segments with no problems in the past -- flew twice in August and now getting the "exclusion" message.

One of the trips was last minute and booked in "B" ... so no possible fare exception on that one.

-- Bill
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
I have been having issues with getting US flight credit for UAX out of GNV (operated by Silver Airways). I recall CO used to exclude certain COX flights, I'm wondering if these are now carrying over.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 11:32 pm

Possibly. When flying on a UAX carrier, you have to check the UAX partner's rules as well as UA's since the UAX partners using smaller equipment (generally turboprops) are code-share partners and reward miles on a limited number of fare classes. Most/all RJ operators are in a fee per departure relationship with the contracting carrier - UA, in this case, purchases all the capacity and sells it to the public so the rules are generally the same as for the mainline operation.

Jim
Old Sep 3, 2012, 6:31 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Has there been any reports of this happening with mainline United flights or just UAX?

UA does have fare classes that don't qualify for mileage awards - I, O, R, & X. A note on the mileage accrual page says:

The booking class that appears on your ticket may differ from the class used to calculate your mileage earned. Please check with United Airlines if you have questions about your booking class.

Jim
The listed fare classes noted as non-mileage earning are all award buckets:

I: Business Award
O: First Award
R: Upgrade
X: Coach Award

Source: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...g_Classes_(UA) (which does seem to be current)

Possibly. When flying on a UAX carrier, you have to check the UAX partner's rules as well as UA's since the UAX partners using smaller equipment (generally turboprops) are code-share partners and reward miles on a limited number of fare classes. Most/all RJ operators are in a fee per departure relationship with the contracting carrier - UA, in this case, purchases all the capacity and sells it to the public so the rules are generally the same as for the mainline operation.

Jim
Under PMCO, several regional contractors were non-mileage earning when credited to US, I believe Silver Air and Colgan Air were the main ones (Colgan is done as of this week according to Wikipedia), Cape Air didn't earn miles either. I wonder if this crap is starting up again with UA.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Sep 3, 2012 at 7:28 am
Old Sep 3, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
Originally Posted by thomwithanh
Under PMCO, several regional contractors were non-mileage earning when credited to US, I believe Silver Air and Colgan Air were the main ones (Colgan is done as of this week according to Wikipedia), Cape Air didn't earn miles either. I wonder if this crap is starting up again with UA.
That was even true for some UAx flights and UA MP. My daughter lives in Sidney MT, and the flights between DEN and SDY that were operated (then) by Great Lakes as UAx did not earn MP miles, nor could they be part of an award redemption.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: US (Silver, *A Silver), AA, Starbucks (Gold)
Originally Posted by PHLviaUS
That was even true for some UAx flights and UA MP. My daughter lives in Sidney MT, and the flights between DEN and SDY that were operated (then) by Great Lakes as UAx did not earn MP miles, nor could they be part of an award redemption.
There's actually two reasons why she didn't get miles in and out of Sidney:

1) DEN-SDY was a federally subsidized EAS route. By law, EAS flights cannot earn miles or be booked via an award redemption.

2) ZK hasn't been an actual United Express carrier since 2001, they're a codeshare partner - and the codeshare agreement may not have included mileage redemption even in the case of non-EAS routes.

Last edited by thomwithanh; Sep 3, 2012 at 9:53 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.