Community
Wiki Posts
Search

switching FF# after upgrade clears?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum

I've been upgraded for my US flight tomorrow using my DM#. I haven't checked in yet. Can I switch to my United FF# without losing the upgrade? Would I be better off using the check-in kiosk to change this, or an agent at the ticket counter? I tried to do this previously with the 800# and was told I'd lose the upgrade if I switched numbers. Anyone have experience with this, and know if it's possible? Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold

U will lose it.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 3:45 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
From the Preferred Upgrades T&C:

If you've received a Preferred upgrade, you cannot replace your Dividend Miles account number with another program’s account number unless you choose to be downgraded to Coach.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PHL
If you've received a Preferred upgrade, you cannot replace your Dividend Miles account number with another program’s account number unless you choose to be downgraded to Coach.
But I'm sure the OP is curious, as I am, does anyone have first-hand experience with this -- does this really happen in practice?
Old Jun 27, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DIAMOND, AA/US TBD
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
But I'm sure the OP is curious, as I am, does anyone have first-hand experience with this -- does this really happen in practice?
From experience, if you talk to an Agent, they will downgrade you. If you do it via the kiosk, it will process just fine and keep the upgrade. I have noticed that sometimes the miles still post to US instead of UA, even if you change the # at the kiosk.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, United MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Platinum, Packer Owner
I've had success with the reverse. Getting a United upgrade due to status there, then switching the number on-line, and getting US credit.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

Long story short: if you try and screw the system then prepare to be screwed yourself. Seems fair to me.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:20 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I had 15k miles deducted for the upgrade from my account
This one was not even intentional.
I was not sure which one to credit to and the upgrade had cleared.
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExP, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Silver, Marriott Platinum
I switched to my MP# and took the downgrade in order to earn segment credit on UA. Got to shoot for that 1K status!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.