Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US Randomly Audit Accounts or did I get flagged?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP

I just got the below message in my email box. Is this a random audit or is it something like an AMEX Financial Review? I have a good amount of miles and am slightly worried since I “missed” the last 2 connections on separate itineraries this last weekend.

We’re conducting an audit of your account
From time to time, we audit Dividend Miles accounts for ineligible mileage credit. If found, we have the right to deduct ineligible miles and cancel award tickets and upgrades issued on ineligible credit.
We’re currently conducting an audit of your account. During the audit, your account access will be limited and we may suspend mileage accrual until we can verify eligibility of the mileage credit.
As a member, you’re responsible for understanding and complying with all Dividend Miles terms and conditions. If you're unfamiliar with our program rules, please read the membership guide.
Thanks for choosing US Airways.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Normal misconnects shouldn't trigger any issues...unless it appears that you intentionally abandoned segments as some sort of hidden-city workaround.

Have you (a) redeemed miles for multiple friends recently or (b) had some new and unusually large partner mileage posts? I've never been audited myself...but in years when I was churning UA credit cards I was always watching my account closely. At the time, the churning was allowed by Chase and UA (as long as Chase was willing to open accounts for you), but I always suspected that at some point, it'd get frowned upon.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP
Originally Posted by pinniped
Normal misconnects shouldn't trigger any issues...unless it appears that you intentionally abandoned segments as some sort of hidden-city workaround.

Have you (a) redeemed miles for multiple friends recently or (b) had some new and unusually large partner mileage posts? I've never been audited myself...but in years when I was churning UA credit cards I was always watching my account closely. At the time, the churning was allowed by Chase and UA (as long as Chase was willing to open accounts for you), but I always suspected that at some point, it'd get frowned upon.
I've never redeemed for friends before and nothing large has posted since the Grand Slam last year. (I got all 40 hits)

I do about 6 hidden-city workarounds a year.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by Heels05
bingo
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
6 is quite a few...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
That is a lot of "workarounds".
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Wow, I like your style...

Go Gators
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:06 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC

I “missed” the last 2 connections on separate itineraries this last weekend.
Doesn't sound random to me ...
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beckles
Doesn't sound random to me ...
Zero chance it is random, especially with 2 last weekend. My advice if you are going to do business like that would be to empty your dividend miles account very regularly.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
hope you don't have a lot of miles sitting there, you can loose all of them and they can close your account
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:01 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by mrredskin
bingo
And just documented it, too.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Busted.

If you've never had a nastygram from US Airways about hidden-city ticketing before, maybe you'll get one now as a warning and they won't close your account. But I think it's safe to say that your days of doing it on US are over.

I usually think of Delta as the carrier where hidden-city matters these days. I fly a lot of AA and UA and there's enough competition into WAS, CHI, DAL/DFW, Bay Area, and DEN that I never really see the need to do it. My very infrequent hidden-city trips are DTW and CVG. But CLT fits a similar profile, and thus US probably runs queries to find people who "misconnect" there often. I agree with the others who say the audit is nonrandom.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
DOO-OH!
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:48 am

This is why whenever someone mentions they plan on doing a hidden city itinerary, they are told to not use their DM number. If you want to do a hidden city itinerary you pretty much have to forego the miles, or risk having this happen to you.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I don't think they would take the DM miles in every instance of finding hidden city or throw away ticketing. They certainly have the right too, but if a customer nets US Airways $10k a year, and 6 hidden cities "robbed" them of $1.5k in revenue, I don't see them shunning a customer so they lose all $10k in revenue to another airline for $1.5k in lost incidental revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.