Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lost MacBook Air on US1406 (MCO to PHL)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2011, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: BV Life Titanium; AA Plat; HH Gold
Unhappy Lost MacBook Air on US1406 (MCO to PHL)

I was traveling from Orlando to Philadelphia last night with my family and in the commotion to get my sleeping 2 year old out of his sleep, I forgot to take my laptop out of the seat back pocket. Unfortunately, the flight continued on to Boston so I've been in contact with both PHL and BOS baggage personnel. So far, nothing has turned up.

I am going to go to PHL this afternoon to file a claim and see if I can get them to do a thorough search of Lost and Found. Unfortunately, all of our Disney pics are on that laptop.

Any other suggestions from people who have been successful at getting lost items returned from an airplane?

Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:02 am
Formerly known as cagalindo

Programs: Citi AA/HH/TYP Amex SPG/HH & Chase SP/PC
Nah but for next time get http://preyproject.com/ on there

good luck ^
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cagalindo
Nah but for next time get http://preyproject.com/ on there
You don't even need preyproject, as the ability to find (and send messages, emit a loud noise, and remotely wipe) a mac is built-in as a few days ago. You do need to be running Mac OS 10.7.2, have an Apple iCloud account (free), and turn Find My Mac on, however, so it's unlikely to help the OP. http://www.tuaw.com/2011/10/13/iclou...y-mac-service/
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: None
Unfortunately, something like that can grow legs. About the only thing more you could do, although hopefully the baggage folks will have already done is, is to ask them to check the plane's routing after BOS to see what other airports it went through and where it over-nighted. It's possible that nobody found your laptop until the overnight cleaning crew did it's thing.

Jim
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:19 am

Programs: US Chairman, Delta Silver, UA Premier, Hyatt Platinum
US1406 arrived BOS last night at gate B6, overnighted, and went back to PHL this morning at 7:15a as US1419 continuing on to LAX at 9:55a.

Good luck...hope you get you Mac back.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:06 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I know it doesn't help the OP now, but offering a reward on your valuables really helps them find their way home. Cleaning crews, lost-and-found workers and other passengers may have sticky fingers but may also prefer cold hard cash over your valuables, as demonstrated by the UA contracted cleaner who found my iPod a couple years back, then told me he pocketed it because the lost and found office would have stolen it anyway, and he only returned it because (after keeping it for 3 days) he decided he liked money better than the iPod. You can set an offer on the Home screen, or as wallpaper, or the Owner info (blackberry), get it engraved, get a track-it-back tag, etc.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Check ebay. Okay that was bad and I'm sorry you lost your Mac and hope it turns up.

Bummer that you lost your photos and other files. If it doesn't turn up you should be able to file a claim with your homeowner's insurance or it might be covered as part of your travel insurance provided by the credit card company you used to buy your ticket.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
You didn't have track it back after all the bonus miles from past Grand Slams?
Old Oct 16, 2011, 2:17 pm

Tuckertravel, I'm really sorry you lost your mac book and irreplaceable family pictures. Not trying to take away from your situation at all but it's a good lesson for others. Laptops aren't allowed in the seat pockets anyway, but lots of times we don't catch them. Even when we ask people to remove them they just put them back as soon as we walk away. I find several laptops, ipads, kindles every DAY in the seat pockets after people have deplaned! I would say about 50% of the time I can track the owner down by the seat assignment and getting their cell number off their reservation but other times its been riding in there for a couple of flights so the chance of returning it to its owner decrease. Put your name and phone # on it and maybe a nice GA or f/a will mail it to you. Again, sorry for your loss
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks DC. I'm definitely going to do something like that for my other mobile electronics. I also posted a reward on Craigslist in case anyone wants to trade it in for cash.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by USFlyer26
US1406 arrived BOS last night at gate B6, overnighted, and went back to PHL this morning at 7:15a as US1419 continuing on to LAX at 9:55a.

Good luck...hope you get you Mac back.

I will give credit to USAirways baggage service in Boston. They have been very helpful in at least trying to locate my laptop. One guy even went to check the empty plane still at the gate last night and it wasn't there. That means that it walked off either in PHL or BOS last night.

I drove back down to PHL this afternoon and they searched their lost and found and still nothing. The CSR gave me one last hope that it may be bundled with other lost and found inside the terminal and not get to the baggage office until tonight.

On a separate note, I was actually able to recover about 100 photos off the SD card using PhotoRec (shareware) so at least we didn't lose everything.

This is a great forum and I appreciate all the replies.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
kinda ot but has anyone had an experience with track it back on a recovery, Also is this sticker visiable after a period of time or does it wear off.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 10:06 pm

I also forgot my macbook on a us airways flight. I didn't realize until I got home and then I panicked and called the airline. They told me a laptop was found and paged me at the airport but I guess I didn't hear it. My situation was different because it was the last flight of the day. The staff working on that flight found it and were luckily for me honest. The problem is some passenger probably walked off with it if your flight was not the last flight of the day. Keep calling the baggage offices, hopefully something will show up. Good luck!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 5:00 am

Also consider downloading Piriform Recuva- it's free and a great way to reliable recover lost SD card images!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Any news yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.