Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Purchased US Airways ticket but was routed on Delta - will I still earn US miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Purchased US Airways ticket but was routed on Delta - will I still earn US miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Just wanted to confirm if I'd still earn US Dividend Miles for the following scenario...

- I purchased a reservation on US Airways that included my Chairman's number (and it included 3 United and United codeshare flights)
- Due to weather/air traffic congestion/canceled flights they decided to book me on 2 Delta flights
- It is my understanding that even though I flew Delta instead of US, I'd still earn US miles for what my original itinerary was. I cannot earn Delta miles and the US miles will be earned automatically

Is that correct or should I see about adding my Delta # to the two flights?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 12:25 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
This is the benefit of rerouting on other non-alliance or other-alliance carriers - double-dipping.

US won't give a toss about you on Delta but they will provide you original routing credit since they were responsible for your reroute. You'll likely have to request it though.

It's a near certainty US put you on a revenue fare on DL (potentially a high yield one, bonus miles included) so you can get the SkyPesos for those actual flights.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:12 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
US won't give a toss about you on Delta but they will provide you original routing credit since they were responsible for your reroute.
The responsibility for the reroute was fuzzy to me since the itinerary included 3 UA/UA code-share flights. I would think the operating carrier or the mainline partner of an express operator would be who the OP would contact for original routing credit.

It may be wrong, but I take the simple case - I buy a ticket from US but the travel is all on UA. If UA reroutes me it is UA I have to contact for original routing credit. Maybe US could contact UA on my behalf or maybe not but if I asked US for the ORC, I doubt that US will hand out the miles for a reroute UA is responsible for.

I get back to the basics - for travel on other carriers, US is effectively a travel agency without the extra services travel agents offer and US is no more likely to give miles to someone they didn't transport and reroute than a travel agency is to buy the miles from US to make the passenger whole.

Jim
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:57 am

always a good scenario if you aren't getting an upgrade anyway. i flew UA last year and they royally screwed up (as usual) and had to get out on DL. you get the original routing on UA and it was a straight-up Y fare on DL, so 150% mileage earning there!
Old Apr 20, 2011, 3:58 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
I glossed over the UA bit. That does complicate things. If it were entirely US metal and US booked, and US rerouted on on DL, then my original response is valid. I've done this more than once, though only once with US. I once also got BA miles for a voluntary bump off BA288 PHX-LHR. They routed me PHX-LAX-LHR with US and VS. Got miles for all 3 airlines.

With UA in the mix on a US 037 ticket - if UA rerouted on on DL you can definitely get the DL miles (assuming it's a Y or other high fare they dropped you into) posted to DL using their retroactive credit method. But getting US to give original routing credit for UA flights booked but not flown is tough. As BoeingBoy said, you probably have to contact the operating carrier (UA) to report that mileage to US. Though you can always try going straight to US and explain the situation.

Last edited by ArizonaGuy; Apr 20, 2011 at 4:04 am
Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Last time a airline did that, when I checked in for my flight on the other carrier - I had them add my frequent flier number to the ticket. I got miles on both carrier.

Which makes me wonder - if US reroutes you on another *A carrier - could you potentially get double miles (for the original US trip AND adding your US # to the new ticket)?
Old Apr 20, 2011, 9:41 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
For what it is worth, I have got EQMs as well even for award ticket reroutes.

I was on LH F with US miles as part of an award and the LH plane was late. I got rerouted LH F to DXB and EK from there in F. My DM number was on the reservation and LH gave me EQMs on US for the FRA DXB flight. I was GP, and did not fly US or *A for 5 months - perhaps a coincidence, US gave me a complimentary bump to PP and I bought up to CP and kept it since then.

I have also got MQMs for award trips on AF on my DL account. Vive skyteam IT!

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
Last time a airline did that, when I checked in for my flight on the other carrier - I had them add my frequent flier number to the ticket. I got miles on both carrier.

Which makes me wonder - if US reroutes you on another *A carrier - could you potentially get double miles (for the original US trip AND adding your US # to the new ticket)?
Old Apr 26, 2011, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

How long do I have to join (or find) my Delta number and try for miles via Delta for these 2 flights?

Here's my update - my itinerary showed the outbound flights were "used" which was a good sign. I flew the return flights and was credited miles for them, but I still haven't received them for the outbound that I ended up flying on Delta.

I called the Chairman's desk and they said I will not get credited any miles. Also, my itinerary now shows "cancelled" instead of used. I think when I flew back a Chairman's or United person cancelled my Delta flights b/c one of them in the past showed "not flown" even though I had flown it.

Bah!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat
I think I understand your post to mean that no US-operated flights were part of the itinerary, and therefore whatever cancellation & reaccom occurred was by UA. If that's the case, then you will not be credited with US miles. See policy below. You should be able to obtain retroactive credit from DL based on DL's policies for that. The double-dipping suggestions up-thread might apply, but you wouldn't be able to double-dip with US/DL, it would be with UA/DL, which would mean a retro-credit request to UA.

Irregular non-award travel

If your US Airways flight is cancelled:
If you are rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you will receive miles for the new itinerary flown. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner carrier, you will receive credit for your originally scheduled flight(s) but you must contact the Dividend Miles Service Center for processing. If you elected not to travel, you will not receive credit.

If any partner carrier's flight is cancelled:
If you are rescheduled on US Airways or a partner carrier, you will receive credit for the itinerary flown but you must contact the partner airline for mileage credit. If you are rescheduled on a non-partner carrier, you will not receive credit. If you elect not to travel, you will not receive credit.
Seems to me that if UA (or OA) reaccoms you on a non-partner it might be wise to ask the agent processing the reaccom to replace your DM# with your UA MP# (or OA FF#) prior to endorsing the ticket over to DL, etc. I would think that sets you up better for requesting miles for the original itinerary from UA (or OA).
Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:26 am
Original Poster

As the entire itinerary was booked via US Airways, had my US Airways DM #, and the UA flights were US codeshare (they had US flight numbers), UA said there is nothing they can do to credit me miles.

US Airways said they can credit my initial flight to ORD (which doesn't make sense b/c this flight didn't even exist) but not any of the others.

Oh well, it is just 2 segments and about 2200 miles that I am losing out on. I'll see about getting DL miles if I get around to it.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, SPG PLT, Marriott PLT, Shangri-La Diamond
Who at US Airways do you contact for an Original Routing Credit? Should I just call the Preferred Number of use the webform? What has been your experience here?

Going to be cutting it very close for gold this year and the reroute took about 1k miles away.

Thanks.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by fish114
Who at US Airways do you contact for an Original Routing Credit? Should I just call the Preferred Number of use the webform? What has been your experience here?

Going to be cutting it very close for gold this year and the reroute took about 1k miles away.

Thanks.
When it happened to me last year I just emailed the Gold desk (I was Gold at the time), and I had everything switched out within a day.

You just want to make sure you use the phrase, "Original Routing Credit."
Old May 9, 2013, 8:05 am

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
I have a similar question. I was booked LGA-DCA-CMH on US yesterday, but because of the weather delays I was rerouted LGA-CMH on Delta (and actually
got home an hour earlier than I was scheduled to).

My US miles were going to be credited to my LH account. Anyone know if it's possible to get Original Routing Credit to a Star partner account rather than Dividend Miles?
Old May 9, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by 5.9LITRE
I called the Chairman's desk and they said I will not get credited any miles.
This is something I'd probably try calling back once or twice about. You might get a sympathetic CP agent. Emphasize that you were rerouted from your "US Airways codeshare flight."

No guarantee, but no harm in asking. But do be nice.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold Preferred, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hilton Gold
Ran into this last year and was not able to get any credit. I was on a United flight from AMA-IAH-DFW and was rerouted on AA to go from AMA-DFW becuase of equipment problems. I contacted both United and US Airways and was not able to get Original Routing Credit. I missed out on like a 1,000 miles which didn't end up mattering. The policy doesn't really make sense to me in that I could have gotten ORC on United but not US Airways. I mean really? Common sense doesn't always work with these folks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.