Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Number of people complaining about less upgrades to F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Gold, Alamo Insiders, Hertz #1 Gold
Interesting to read the thread. I recently as a Silver just did a TC PHL-LAX RT. I was not expecting upgrades as it is elite-heavy. I took the first AM flight on a Saturday and got the upgrade right at the Silver window. On my red-eye back, no upgrade could be confirmed, at 23:59 I checked in online and put myself on the waitlist. At about 12hrs before the flight, I do a dummy book and see that I could buy a non-refundable F, so I went back into OLCI and checked in (again) but changed my seat to which it offered me a Preferred First Class Upgrade.

More proof that the UG system doesn't work... theoretically, I suppose I should have been auto-upgraded from the waitlist. F was full, I'm pretty sure I was the only Silver (saw the manifest) in F.

Still disappointing to see that the PDB on the East-operated flight westbound still consisted of water or water
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
New issue today. I'm 2 days away from my flight, so within the silver upgrade window. I got an email this morning saying that no First seats were available, but low an behold there were 4 empty First seats on the seating chart for my flight. I called the US reservations 800 line and they upgraded me over the phone. Just another sign that the automatic upgrade system cannot be relied on.
This is not correct. Just because there are open F seats it does not mean that they have been opened into the (O) upgrade inventory. Seats are often held back for revenue right up to T-24 and sometimes beyond. It is against the rules for the CSR's to take a call and do an upgrade. By the CSR doing the upgrade they are pontentialy jumping over someone else in the queue. This is supposed to be a 100% automated process. There are many issues with US, but I've always found that the upgrade process to be very accurate and straight forward.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheFlyingMan
Interesting to read the thread. I recently as a Silver just did a TC PHL-LAX RT. I was not expecting upgrades as it is elite-heavy. I took the first AM flight on a Saturday and got the upgrade right at the Silver window. On my red-eye back, no upgrade could be confirmed, at 23:59 I checked in online and put myself on the waitlist. At about 12hrs before the flight, I do a dummy book and see that I could buy a non-refundable F, so I went back into OLCI and checked in (again) but changed my seat to which it offered me a Preferred First Class Upgrade.

More proof that the UG system doesn't work... theoretically, I suppose I should have been auto-upgraded from the waitlist. F was full, I'm pretty sure I was the only Silver (saw the manifest) in F.

Still disappointing to see that the PDB on the East-operated flight westbound still consisted of water or water
Interesting. I did not know you could change your seat after checking-in. Is that really the case?
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Interesting. I did not know you could change your seat after checking-in. Is that really the case?
This is possible now with the new OLCI.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by ellinj
This is possible now with the new OLCI.
I believe that with the new OLCI you can change your seats at check-in, but not after.

Originally Posted by pbuntrock
This is not correct. Just because there are open F seats it does not mean that they have been opened into the (O) upgrade inventory. Seats are often held back for revenue right up to T-24 and sometimes beyond. It is against the rules for the CSR's to take a call and do an upgrade. By the CSR doing the upgrade they are pontentialy jumping over someone else in the queue. This is supposed to be a 100% automated process. There are many issues with US, but I've always found that the upgrade process to be very accurate and straight forward.
This is absolutely right. US sometimes would hold F seats on high-demand routes for IRROPs protection or in attempt to sell the seat in F fare class. They don't have to upgrade SP just because some seats in F are open. They do have to upgrade SP before offering upgrades to O class to non-preferreds though.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by burlax
I believe that with the new OLCI you can change your seats at check-in, but not after.
I believe that is not correct. when I check in for Monday's flight I will try and go back and change my seat and verify.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by burlax

This is absolutely right. US sometimes would hold F seats on high-demand routes for IRROPs protection or in attempt to sell the seat in F fare class. They don't have to upgrade SP just because some seats in F are open. They do have to upgrade SP before offering upgrades to O class to non-preferreds though.
You can change seats after check in now. Go through the process again and there's something like a "just change seats" option that allows you to switch seats and get a new BP.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 5:51 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
I am relatively new to US (BD refuge), but I am really impressed with US upgrade process. My work does not require me to fly on Friday afternoons & Monday mornings (but I do travel on Sunday afternoons) and as a PLAT I am 100% upgraded in my window (when I was Silver my upgrade cleared 20% in the window plus 30% at the gate, for Gold the numbers were 40%/40%, respectively, and now it is 100% in window - not even a single airport stand-by).

Another thing... Do you think that maybe UA elites really started abandoning UA to move to US? Could it be the case? Talking to my co-workers (I am not from the States, but I am on a temporary assignment here) US has a terrible reputation... But, if you look at UA forum there quite a few unhappy folks over there...
Old Sep 12, 2012, 7:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by ellinj
I believe that is not correct. when I check in for Monday's flight I will try and go back and change my seat and verify.
You are right. I was able to change my seats after checking-in. Very neat.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by TPJ
Another thing... Do you think that maybe UA elites really started abandoning UA to move to US? Could it be the case? Talking to my co-workers (I am not from the States, but I am on a temporary assignment here) US has a terrible reputation... But, if you look at UA forum there quite a few unhappy folks over there...
Almost by definition, reputations have a tendency to lag reality.

So you want to profit from what's around you while a good reputation is being made, and jump ship before it is fully squandered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.