Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Cancelled booking and locked account by us airways (Now updated with result)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cancelled booking and locked account by us airways (Now updated with result)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:28 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Miles&More Senator, bmi Diamond Club Silver, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG
No update on this?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 12:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravellinHusker
No update on this?
No update will be forthcoming until and if any travel is completed by the OP unless he chooses to do so.

There are multiple cases that I am personally aware that are as yet UNRESOLVED.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by Sparrow_Hawk
No update will be forthcoming until and if any travel is completed by the OP unless he chooses to do so.

I thought that the tickets were canceled by US. So how can the OP complete travel?
Old Jun 18, 2010, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tommyleo
I thought that the tickets were canceled by US. So how can the OP complete travel?
All I will say is that those affected need to protect their interests.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:25 pm

All I will say is that those affected need to protect their interests.

Wow, first of all props to you for helping others out. Second, this is quite the mystery novel, can't wait to read the ending.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
I would really love for the OP to come back and give an update. It sounds like there is a lot going on behind the scenes, which I suppose is good, but to me, the occasional cloak-and-dagger updates from third parties takes away from the credibility, rather than adding to it. A few more facts from the OP would go a long way to helping everyone understand the situation and keep the heresay and speculation down.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: UA GS, *G, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Diamond, Platinum on Blockbuster, GameStop, several library cards
Wow. As described, this is pretty disturbing. I know about being stonewalled by airlines, and have left hundreds of dollars on the table because it is too time consuming and costly to fight big brother.

However, I missed OP's location. Two options available are small claims court, which could award monetary damages, and People's Court, which could shame US into making it right. By people's court I mean finding some media outlet that will pick up the story and force US on the defense.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I wish you luck!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:32 am

I just had a hilarious mental image of Doug Parker on Judge Judy.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcpatti
That's funny! Doug Parker vs Judge Judy! She'd eat that SOB as an appetizer. If it ever happened I'd almost feel sorry for Doug.

I think you'll see the OP back in July sometime.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:41 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
DP on Dr. Phil would be as funny, if not funnier.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 4:27 am

Ha ha...
Old Jun 25, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Originally Posted by alireza0782
I am supposed to be leaving on the 22nd of June. I already have my hotels and local excursions planned. Once again I thank everyone for their thoughts, suggestions, and replies. Anymore would also be deeply appreciated.
Here's hoping that the OP is enjoying a vacation this week. After the stress of this snafu he deserves one! I, like many others, look forward to hearing the ultimate disposition of this case (and the similar hinted-at cases).
Old Jul 4, 2010, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by biggreen
Here's hoping that the OP is enjoying a vacation this week. After the stress of this snafu he deserves one! I, like many others, look forward to hearing the ultimate disposition of this case (and the similar hinted-at cases).
Is there anything update?
Old Jul 8, 2010, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the long wait

Hello All,

I deeply apologize for the long wait for my response, but I had to stay low for a while.

I managed to get hold of corporate security and customer relations at US Airways.

Their reason for canceling everything was quite a shock to me. It was because of invalid itinerary. I tried to tell them that if my itinerary was invalid, then they would not been able to calculate the taxes for it, let alone make the booking. They said that it was something they were investigating which is why they locked the account and canceled the booking.

Now I would like to state my original itinerary. It was:

Outbound:

YUL - BOS
BOS - ZRH
ZRH - NRT (first stop)

Inbound:

NRT - PVG (second stop)
PVG - FRA
FRA - IAH
IAH - YYZ
YYZ - YUL

Corporate Security said that when going to North Asia from North America, I have to cross the Pacific. I told them that the idea of going to China and Japan through Europe was actually the idea of a supervisor at reservations. I also called numerous times to reservations as a random person checking whether it was a valid itinerary and that every single agent and supervisor said yes and that they would not be able to calculate the taxes and fees if it was not a valid routing.

I also found that I can travel from YUL to SYD via Europe and Asia, and it would be a valid routing.

Corporate Security just kept on saying that this is an invalid routing.

I mentioned that I had paper tickets and that when I called the airlines involved in my itinerary, they all said that they were valid. Corporate Security told me that all the airlines have been ordered to confiscate and destroy these tickets. They also mentioned that if I do travel on these tickets, the bill sent to US Airways will be sent back to me.

But they finally said that they would get me a new reservation to Tokyo and Shanghai, but it will be in Business Class, not First. So I would have to take a downgrade.

The other thing was the new itinerary that they offered. It was:

Outbound:

YUL - PHL
PHL - FRA
FRA - NRT (first stop)

Inbound:

NRT - PVG (second stop)
PVG - NRT
NRT - YYZ
YYZ - YUL

I was quite stunned when this was presented to me as it was around the world. They said that it is not around the world unless you make more than 2 stops.

After talking to numerous persons, I decided to take the new booking. I went to the airport and gave in my old tickets and got new ones printed.

Being extremely worried that US Airways might try to do the same thing all over again, I decided to stay low until completion of my trip. I sincerely apologize for that and thank you all for your patience.

Most of all, I would like to thank everyone here for all their help. I would not been able to do this without you. Joining FlyerTalk was probably one of the best decisions I ever made.

Thank you all so very much once again.

Last edited by alireza0782; Jul 8, 2010 at 3:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old Jul 8, 2010, 4:02 pm

alireza0782,

Thank you SO MUCH for taking the time and trouble to explain the resolution. This topic has been quite disturbing to many people and being able to see the final outcome along with the root cause is helpful to a lot of people. Many such as myself have been scrutinizing every award booking they've made, worried that the surprise travel gift to a friend is going to leave someone stranded or worse!

It sounds like a really simple problem that should have been fixed more quickly but since the whole mess involves multiple airlines, I can see where there is plenty of chance for communication to be dropped.

It is very nice to know that invalid routing was the root cause here rather than some mysterious fraud allegations. I do know that some of these routings get sent off to the partner airlines for final approval even after tickets are issued; it's just a shame that US had no procedure in place to call you when your itinerary got kicked back, and that it had to go as far as it did. It sounds like one simple phone call could have prevented all the drama and heartache and hassle.

Thanks again for giving the final details!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.