Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by abracadaver
Thanks for all of the responses so far. However, this latest one confuses me . Does this mean I WILL have to go through customs in FRA if I'm not checking a bag? If this is the case - how likely am I to miss my connection?

If I DON'T have to go through customs due to the Schengen rule, I assume I'll have to go through customs in CPH then?

Thanks again for clearing this up.
Yes, as stated, you do have to clear immigration at FRA both ways and customs at FRA on your inbound, as this is your entry and exit point from Schengen/the EU. As I said, the FRA-CPH-FRA are treated as domestic segments- just like if you were flying FRA-JFK-(Somewhere in the USA- in that case you would clear C&I in JFK). Your port of entry and exit is FRA. There will be no customs or immigration done at CPH.

You may want to pose your question in the FRA connection thread in the M&M forum if the information there doesn't help you.

Note the MCT for connecting to and from LH longhaul international (outside Schengen) flights on LH, as stated in that thread, is 60 minutes. One of your SK->LH connections is under that. You are correct to think you have a tight connection; FRA is huge and there's a significant chance you could be landing at a remote gate and be bussed in (though I haven't flown SK and don't know where they end up, I've been bussed to a gate on KL and LH). I would probably pad the connection time.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jan 16, 2014 at 7:33 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Yes, as stated, you do have to clear immigration at FRA both ways and customs at FRA on your inbound, as this is your entry and exit point from Schengen/the EU. As I said, the FRA-CPH-FRA are treated as domestic segments- just like if you were flying FRA-JFK-(Somewhere in the USA- in that case you would clear C&I in JFK). Your port of entry and exit is FRA. There will be no customs or immigration done at CPH.

You may want to pose your question in the FRA connection thread in the M&M forum if the information there doesn't help you.

Note the MCT for connecting to and from LH longhaul international (outside Schengen) flights on LH, as stated in that thread, is 60 minutes. One of your SK->LH connections is under that. You are correct to think you have a tight connection; FRA is huge and there's a significant chance you could be landing at a remote gate and be bussed in (though I haven't flown SK and don't know where they end up, I've been bussed to a gate on KL and LH). I would probably pad the connection time.

Thanks for the detailed response. Makes a lot of sense. However, I just noticed an error in my original post. The 2:45 flight out of CPH is actually an LH flight, not SAS. Does this change anything ?
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the detailed response. Makes a lot of sense. However, I just noticed an error in my original post. The 2:45 flight out of CPH is actually an LH flight, not SAS. Does this change anything ?
Is it under the 60 minute MCT? That possibly makes it an invalid connection if it is.

I would suggest asking in the above referenced FRA connections/information thread, as your question doesn't really have to do with booking a *A award on US... the M&M folks handle FRA a lot more than a lot of us do.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:48 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman's Preferred; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Is it under the 60 minute MCT? That possibly makes it an invalid connection if it is.

I would suggest asking in the above referenced FRA connections/information thread, as your question doesn't really have to do with booking a *A award on US... the M&M folks handle FRA a lot more than a lot of us do.
Yes, the layover is 55 minutes. But since it's an LH - LH transfer, I thought that might make things easier (no shuttle bus, etc.).

You're right, apologies for getting off topic - I'll take my questions to the appropriate thread.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, the layover is 55 minutes. But since it's an LH - LH transfer, I thought that might make things easier (no shuttle bus, etc.).

You're right, apologies for getting off topic - I'll take my questions to the appropriate thread.

Thanks again!
LH flights often use bus gates...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by robbert
Tried several LH and LX flights and none where available through US, but showed available on the UA and AC websites. Was able to see TK and SA. So to me it looks like they are blocking all LH and LX space, not cool.
Has anyone had any success booking LH in C recently? I saw the above post, as well as another account of not being able to book LH even on Tuesdays/Saturdays and am worried. I've been painstakingly trying to piece together my last *A award trip before US departs and UA increases their award chart, but it looks like I need one or two LH flights to make it happen. I think I can work with the Tues/Sat issue, but everything falls apart if there's no more LH...
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:56 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Need some quick help while I have part of a huge RTW ticket on hold.

I am trying to figure out how to return from KWL to DFW. I would ideally like to be TG A380 in F, but not available. I've found HKG-BKK (747) BKK-MXP (A340) all on TG in F, but cannot figure out F (or decent J) from Europe back to DFW in any way possible (very difficult!!). I think I may be able to do LH in J, but that's about it. I thought UA in F would be easy to get TATL as I have seen it a lot, but not now.

My easiest option is to abandon TATL and just go PEK-IAH-DFW all in F with Air China TPAC instead. I have big hesitations about CA though and think TG would be ideal. Certainly less travel time, but extra time on TATL is ok with me this time (by myself as well).

Thoughts? I have holds until tomorrow midnight and have seriously spent many many hours searching flights trying to connect the dots with all of this. Want to get the best possible redemption in before United devaluation (yes, i'm actually working with UA not US).

Also, how would you compare EVA 773ER in J vs CA 773 in F? We loved EVA and are taking that to Taipei to begin this trip.

Last edited by glocklt4; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:09 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Need some quick help while I have part of a huge RTW ticket on hold.

I am trying to figure out how to return from KWL to DFW. I would ideally like to be TG A380 in F, but not available. I've found HKG-BKK (747) BKK-MXP (A340) all on TG in F, but cannot figure out F (or decent J) from Europe back to DFW in any way possible (very difficult!!). I think I may be able to do LH in J, but that's about it. I thought UA in F would be easy to get TATL as I have seen it a lot, but not now.

My easiest option is to abandon TATL and just go PEK-IAH-DFW all in F with Air China TPAC instead. I have big hesitations about CA though and think TG would be ideal. Certainly less travel time, but extra time on TATL is ok with me this time (by myself as well).

Thoughts? I have holds until tomorrow midnight and have seriously spent many many hours searching flights trying to connect the dots with all of this. Want to get the best possible redemption in before United devaluation (yes, i'm actually working with UA not US).

Also, how would you compare EVA 773ER in J vs CA 773 in F? We loved EVA and are taking that to Taipei to begin this trip.
Try Brussels business to JFK or LOT business to JFK/ORD/YYZ on the 787 (search at Aeroplan or ExpertFlyer, doesn't show up at United). Brussels would be the first choice, LOT a backup if you need it.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by glocklt4
CA 773 F is supposed to be very good, better than BR new J, by reading the reviews. I am booked in CA 773 F for my upcoming mini-RTW and I am looking forward to it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=air+c...ilion&tbm=isch
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by arcticbull
Try Brussels business to JFK or LOT business to JFK/ORD/YYZ on the 787 (search at Aeroplan or ExpertFlyer, doesn't show up at United). Brussels would be the first choice, LOT a backup if you need it.
Thanks! I think i've already check those (I literally have checked EVERY connection shown on MMS's great map of TATL flights: http://millionmilesecrets.com/2013/1...les-to-europe/ ). I will check these again to be sure they won't work. BTW, one of the main issues is that all TATL flights seem to leave in the morning. I would get into MXP at 7:30am on TG in F, so then have to connect again in time to catch the other flight TATL.

Also, one more thing. Does anyone know if the 787's for NH have F at all? Or is J (C??) their top class on 787? I was considering routing home through NRT as well to try NH out as I have never done that either.

Thank you!

Last edited by glocklt4; Jan 16, 2014 at 11:32 am
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by echino
CA 773 F is supposed to be very good, better than BR new J, by reading the reviews. I am booked in CA 773 F for my upcoming mini-RTW and I am looking forward to it.

http://www.google.com/search?q=air+c...ilion&tbm=isch
Ah, great to hear. Maybe I should not be stressing so much about this. I will read a bit more to be sure I want to consider CA 773 F as my backup plan. There is plenty of availability, so if it comes down to the wire tomorrow night I may be able to just go with this.

Thank you for the quick responses!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 11:46 am

So, I wasn't using Expert Flyer before, thinking that I had to use what United displayed on their site to book with United. EF shows LX8 ZRH-ORD at 12:55pm-3:40pm that would work, however UA site is not showing this flight at all. Should I be able to book this with them still?

If so, I think that would work! (7:30am arrival to MXP, 10-11am MXP-ZRH, 12:55pm out of ZRH). I would still need to get ORD-DFW and nothing available on UA site, so I'd just burn some BA avios for this.

From what I've read, LX would be better than SN, yes?

EDIT: No luck with LX8. UA shows nothing on there.

Last edited by glocklt4; Jan 16, 2014 at 12:30 pm
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:40 pm

Expertflyer uses Miles & More inventory for displaying LX award seats, which is more generous than availability to other Star airlines' FFP.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Expertflyer uses Miles & More inventory for displaying LX award seats, which is more generous than availability to other Star airlines' FFP.
Ah, got it. Thanks.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:59 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Originally Posted by whimsey21
Has anyone had any success booking LH in C recently? I saw the above post, as well as another account of not being able to book LH even on Tuesdays/Saturdays and am worried. I've been painstakingly trying to piece together my last *A award trip before US departs and UA increases their award chart, but it looks like I need one or two LH flights to make it happen. I think I can work with the Tues/Sat issue, but everything falls apart if there's no more LH...
Did you read the recently posted posts of this thread (last 10 pages), that you could answer your question by yourself?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.