Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Silver on US [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:07 pm
21A

I'm noticing that if I put in my UA 2P number, I get Zone 2 and the marking "Premier", whereas if I put in my CO Silver number I get "Star Silver" and zone 4. Wonder what the deal is with this? Is the pre-boarding only a benefit for UA 2P and not all *S?
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 21A
I'm noticing that if I put in my UA 2P number, I get Zone 2 and the marking "Premier", whereas if I put in my CO Silver number I get "Star Silver" and zone 4. Wonder what the deal is with this? Is the pre-boarding only a benefit for UA 2P and not all *S?
No, it is a computer glitch.

US has no shortage of them
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
My mom and I flew HNL-PHX last night and had a little snag checking in at the airport. I'm silver, my mom has no status but when checking in our 4 bags the computer prompted the agent to charge us for my mom's 2 bags. After telling the agent that we were on the same PNR and all four bags should be free he made a few calls and was able to over-ride the system. My mom's boarding pass showed her as zone 5 and when we were boarding I had to inform the GA that we were together when the GA told her she had to wait for zone 5... the GA was still hesitant to let her board with me. Is this something that happens frequently, or did I just experience some kind of glitch coupled with the fact that all of the agents were staffed by Hawaiian Airlines unfamiliar with US' policies? We had no problems with online check-in going there, so I don't know why there would be an issue coming home.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by skitch23
My mom and I flew HNL-PHX last night and had a little snag checking in at the airport. I'm silver, my mom has no status but when checking in our 4 bags the computer prompted the agent to charge us for my mom's 2 bags. After telling the agent that we were on the same PNR and all four bags should be free he made a few calls and was able to over-ride the system. My mom's boarding pass showed her as zone 5 and when we were boarding I had to inform the GA that we were together when the GA told her she had to wait for zone 5... the GA was still hesitant to let her board with me. Is this something that happens frequently, or did I just experience some kind of glitch coupled with the fact that all of the agents were staffed by Hawaiian Airlines unfamiliar with US' policies? We had no problems with online check-in going there, so I don't know why there would be an issue coming home.
I posted in a separate thread about this very issue minus your checked baggage issue.

I'm US Air Silver and bought a ticket for my wife on the same reservation and she ended up with Zone 5 on her ticket.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
So Star Silvers from other airlines (CO) get to check one bag free on US. But, does everyone within the same record get to check one bag free or only the Star Silver member. How many people can be in one single record?
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
*A Silver

Does *A Silver entitle me to a choice seat or any added perks on US Airways?

Flying on an award ticket today and haven't flown US Air in years...

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TimeToEarnMiles
Does *A Silver entitle me to a choice seat or any added perks on US Airways?

Flying on an award ticket today and haven't flown US Air in years...

Thanks in advance.
In short, no.
No choice seat as a defined benefit.
Though you might get one on day of departure if you ask nicely at check-in or the gate.
Same for US fliers on UA.
Also, this thread is right on topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...er-thread.html

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Oct 26, 2012 at 7:35 am Reason: added thread link
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
In short, no.
No choice seat as a defined benefit.
Though you might get one on day of departure if you ask nicely at check-in or the gate.
Same for US fliers on UA.
Thanks! I guess I need to get to gold then. ^
Old Oct 26, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: UA mm, Marriott PLT, Hilton Dia
No joy for gold with respect to the choice seats.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by blue47
No joy for gold with respect to the choice seats.
Maybe I should just stick with UA :-)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Maybe I should just stick with UA :-)
Keep in mind that it's going to be that way pretty much on any *A carrier (with maybe the exception of the UA/LH tie up). *A carriers are pretty good about recognizing *G or *S and giving the agreed upon alliance benefits, but most will give little to anything more. Anything more you get will either be paid for the same as the Kettles or at the discretion of a very nice GA.

When I fly on UA, I don't get E+ without paying for it, but I get the rest of the *G benefits. There are exceptions where a nice UA agent may help a *G but it's not required or expected.

Your "home" airline will almost always treat you better than other *A carriers, and that's true whether you're on US, UA, LH ...
Old Oct 26, 2012, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS
Flying LAX-CLT right now, and *S boarding with zone 2 is gone. Had to board with zone 4, barely got overhead space.

Yet another reason to avoid this airline. Which is too bad because the West coast staff and CLT people are amazing.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 5:06 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rebmig
Flying LAX-CLT right now, and *S boarding with zone 2 is gone. Had to board with zone 4, barely got overhead space.

Yet another reason to avoid this airline. Which is too bad because the West coast staff and CLT people are amazing.
I really hate these sorts of comments. The rules are very standard across all airlines and all alliances. Each airline gives first priority to their top tier elites first; in priority order. Then they give priority to other low level elites, credit card holders, alliance members and upsell customers (i.e. purchased priority access). US is treating you exactly as any other airline would; UA, AA, DL etc. US is not treating you badly, this just the way the world works.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:46 pm

*Silver

Update from my travel this weekend...

On my outbound (ORD to PHX) - I asked at the gate if *A Silver entitled me to a preferred seat, the GA said "no" but I could board early (which is the opposite of what people on this site said). It comes time to board and they didn't call *A Silver. I went up when they called preferred and they let me board. No questions asked.

On my return (PHX to ORD) - I asked the GA if *A entitled me to board early (I had Zone 5). They said no and they said it was dumb that US put "Star Alliance Silver" on my boarding pass since *A Silver can't board early. The GA went on to say that they always let *A Silver board with an earlier group (she said we earned it) even though the rules say *A Silver can't. They were very nice and I boarded with Zone 3.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Update from my travel this weekend...

On my outbound (ORD to PHX) - I asked at the gate if *A Silver entitled me to a preferred seat, the GA said "no" but I could board early (which is the opposite of what people on this site said). It comes time to board and they didn't call *A Silver. I went up when they called preferred and they let me board. No questions asked.
Bolding mine.

Where did anyone here say that? Multiple people have that you do not get preferred seating as a *S but you would get priority boarding. People have said that you MAY get preferred seating IF you find a really nice GA willing to bend the rules, but you certainly won't get it by right. If they DON'T give it to you as a courtesy.

*S does not necessarily give you priority boarding. An airline MAY offer it (and some do) to *S but they don't have to. It's only a published benefit for *G. Anything that's not listed on this page is given at the operating airlines' discretion.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/

Example: US gives *S one bag free, LH gives one bag free period to Y, and does not give *S anything extra. You have to be a *G to get an extra bag on LH, OZ, SQ, and others.

To most *A airlines, *S is nothing. IF you want perks to be near what you have on your airline carried over to another airline, you need to be *G. Sorry, that's just the way it works.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.