sm2
Original Poster

Programs: US-Chairman's, Hilton-Diamond, Hertz President's Circle, Sofitel
$14k in Baggage Fees - Wednesday

From the Charlotte Observer

New baggage fee nets $14,000
Jefferson George
[email protected]

US Airways' new $15 fee for checking the first bag generated more than $14,000 for the airline on its first day Wednesday.

US Airways has said it will charge the fee for tickets purchased on or after this past Wednesday. A spokesman for the carrier said it expects the biggest impact to come in mid- to late August because most customers typically buy tickets about 45 days in advance.

Full clip below:

http://www.charlotte.com/breaking_ne...ry/708763.html
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
NEXT HEADLINE - A321 waiting for PHL gate crew to notice it arrived wastes $14,000 in fuel.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by sm2
From the Charlotte Observer

US Airways' new $15 fee for checking the first bag generated more than $14,000 for the airline on its first day Wednesday.
Something to note is that the $14K was for tickets purchased AND flown Wednesday. I'm sure the folks who paid lots of money for those last minute tickets really appreciated the paying an additional $15 to check a bag!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 7:49 pm

Than they shouldnt buy last minute. Most of the airlines are charging the same fees. Mama
Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Originally Posted by PhxMama
Than they shouldnt buy last minute.
... right. How did we all miss that logic.

Old Jul 11, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
$14k in baggage fees collected. But how much in lost revenue because pax decided to fly another airline? It seems that figure is conveniently left out.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by justforfun
$14k in baggage fees collected. But how much in lost revenue because pax decided to fly another airline? It seems that figure is conveniently left out.
There is no such column on the spreadsheet.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 12:23 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Thoughts just from "my little corner of the world".
Still as many or more bags & heavier
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by SS255
There is no such column on the spreadsheet.
There's a spreadsheet?
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by justforfun

My $65K-$80K a year would be split in the "CO" and "UA" columns of the spreadsheet!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 6:21 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Delta Platinum
Sooner or later someone will lay out $100+ for a family's luggage only to have the bags disappear into the ether. The family will demand a refund, the airline will refuse ("just 'cause you paid us to deliver your bag doesn't obligate us to deliver your bag") and a nasty incident will ensue. This policy is bad news, the airlines should just raise their fares a bit. I know some people here never check bags but when you pay specifically for a service you have a reason to expect the service to be performed and I've seen no evidence that the extra bag fees will improve baggage handling in any way.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Sooner or later? I'm sure bags were lost on the first day someone had to pay this fee. I will indeed be interesting to see what the outcome. You pay for a service that you don't get. Not right.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 8:43 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Always pay with a credit card.

Chargeback's a _____.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:24 am

Programs: VS AU, AS 75K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DrMaturin
Sooner or later someone will lay out $100+ for a family's luggage only to have the bags disappear into the ether. The family will demand a refund, the airline will refuse ("just 'cause you paid us to deliver your bag doesn't obligate us to deliver your bag") and a nasty incident will ensue. This policy is bad news, the airlines should just raise their fares a bit. I know some people here never check bags but when you pay specifically for a service you have a reason to expect the service to be performed and I've seen no evidence that the extra bag fees will improve baggage handling in any way.
A coworker paid the $15 fee to AA for a bag. Bag was lost and AA wanted $18 to deliver it to him. Bag was found at the airport before the cycle went any further. I'm assuming the AA luggage rep was wrong. But then again, maybe not.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:01 am

Airlines have been charging the 2nd bag fee for a while so I assume that has happened. Haven't heard any big horror stories in the media.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.