Wiki Posts
Search

Ticket Cancelled....no idea why

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2007, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Ticket Cancelled....no idea why

I purchased a ticket at the airport 2 weeks ago using a combination of vouchers and cash. I was given a receipt for the e-ticket. I did not get my seat assignments at the time of purchase, so I called this morning to get my seats. Imagine my surprise when the platinum agent informed me that my ticket was cancelled.

I never called to cancel, nor did I authorize the cancellation. I explained this to him and he was very understanding. He called inventory to get the ticket reinstated. So now supposedly everything is alright and I have my ticket back. But what would have happened had I not called and showed up at the airport on the day of the flight? Has this happened to anyone else?
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:20 am

Programs: UA 1P, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat, US Dirt
that is an interesting question. I flew out of CHS on Christmas Day and used a DM ticket. Since the weather was about to get terrible, I arrived at the airport 2 hours early and got on another flight. When the agent changed the flights and re-ticketed me, somehow one of my return segments got cancelled. I was going to be stuck in Charlotte instead of my final destination of CHS on my return. It took almost an hour to get that segment reinstated as I never called to cancel it. Anyone who has an idea of what happened in both cases, i'd be interested to know.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 5:26 am

Programs: AA Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Yes. After spending countless hours coordinating 3 biz awards on SQ metal, had one reservation cancelled despite holding paper tickets. No explanation from Chairman's Desk, only apologay and most flights re-instated. Since on SQ metal, had to suck it up and take what was available, including ICN-SIN in coach. Would have been easier if all on US.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:08 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
Originally Posted by natas43
But what would have happened had I not called and showed up at the airport on the day of the flight? Has this happened to anyone else?
I had a unscheduled cancellation (actually, it wound up being two consecutive cancellations, as my rerouted connection was cancelled as well), so the GA at the first airport rerouted me on a separate airline. Of course, they didn't protect my return, and I showed up at the airport on the way home, having had my reservation cancelled. It took nearly 45 minutes for the counter agent (thanks to the ABQ HP staff!!!) to reinstate my ticket. It would be pretty much the same situation you went through with the platinum desk, except at the airport. They had to call inventory (and they got put on hold!!!!! Even counter agents don't get preferred treatment on the phone!) to get the ticket reinstated. Luckily, they even rerouted me to cut off one of the miserable connections.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:44 am

I had it happen a long while back, and the only saving grace was that I'd saved and printed out the itinerary and receipt. That's something I've been lazy about lately, but you reminded me, it can be handy! I was able to rebook at the original fare, which was several hundred less than what I'd have had to pay once I discovered the problem.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 6:56 am

Programs: Various
I had a return flight cancelled coming back from Kansas City to Pittsburgh once, which I found out about when I went to check in at the airport. The system claimed that I had not taken one of the PIT-MCI flights. Even once I produced my boarding passes from those flights, the ticket agent was reticent about reinstating the return flights - bah! I have no idea how the mix-up happened, as I was credited my DM miles just fine.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I had a $200 voucher for a mistake that US had made. I booked my wife a ticket from CMH to LAS for a total cost of $313. I went to the airport with the voucher and they told me the ticket is paid in full (I never paid anything else). They gave us paper tickets. When we showed up to fly, they said we had been cancelled. The only thing that saved us was the paper tickets, they had to rebook the flight and no one ever questioned the missing $113. I had prompted the desk before I left to state that I still owed $113 and they said I didn't.

Not sure why I was cancelled but it was hairy getting a seat on the way back.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
So it seems that it isn't as uncommon as I thought. Strange. Lucky for me the flight (PHL>LAX) is virtually empty at the moment, so getting a seat was not a problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.