Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

When flying on a First Class award ticket - pray the flight is not xnld

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA - Gold, Delta - Gold, US - Gold, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold

This past Friday, 2/16 while my wife and I were packing to fly back to Phoenix from Lihue (LIH) in First Class using my Dividend Miles our cell phones rang with associates from USAirways. Around 3:30 P.M. Hawaiian Time we are rung up by USAirways to be advised the flight from Lihue is xnld for tonight and the protection is on the 19th. What? Who pays for the hotel for 3 more days?

So, I ask to be re-booked on another airline back to the mainland and the response was sure, but it will be in coach as they do not take our First Class tickets. Also, according to the person calling, all the flights from KOA, OGG and HNL were sold out in First Class until the 19th. Again, what? We were using miles I worked hard at obtaining and through unwavering loyalty and to be treated that way was 100% insulting and I am seriously questioning the value of the program. It was not our fault HP xnld the only LIH-PHX flight but they made us feel bad for asking to be on another carrier. At the end of the night, we ended up in coach instead of F from HNL. It was a great way for my pregnant wife to experience the true face of USAirways.

How insulting and what poor customer service. I hope I get my miles back.

Has this happened to anyone else? BEWARE if US cancels your flight and you are on F or Envoy tickets using Dividend Miles - you are in for a rude awakening.

Should I stay loyal or switch my flying back to UA, HA and WN?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 1:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
As mentioned in a previous thread, US' service to Hawaii is shameful in every sense. The planes are constantly cancelled and delayed and the service is disgusting.

As I previously mentioned, they are the only routes in the entire US network (and actually even the *A network now that I think about it) that I absolutely refuse to fly.

Was the reason for cancellation mechanical?

You are most definitely entitled compensation, at the very least to a refund of the difference in miles.

Contact consumer affairs using your elite contact information or:

http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...relations.aspx

You are entitled to at the very least a refund in miles for the difference between a Y and F ticket. They should also throw in a voucher for your troubles.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Reminds me of an anniversary trip my wife and I booked to MUC via MIA on LH; service to MIA was on US.

A couple of weeks before the trip, US permanently cancelled all of their service from TPA to MIA. US refused to book me on another airline or to make any other accommodation. If I didn't like it, we could cancel the trip and redepsit the miles. At that time, my wife and I had about 2.75 million DM miles. Needless to say, we don't fly US anymore except to burn miles.

We ended up buying separate tickets on American to make our connection.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

We were told the xnl was due to a mechanical problem in Phoenix so I checked www.flightaware.com to make sure the inbound from PHX was not really coming to LIH and we were being lied too. It was a mechanical.

My business travel takes me to Honolulu and Lihue about once every 2 months and the service on Hawaiian is by far the best from PHX and they treat you with respect in the coach cabin too. It is mind boggling to see so many people taking US to the islands with such poor service.

If the flights were more reliable then I would consider it for the next time around. But this has really left a bad taste.....
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:56 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
It would seem you should be due the difference in miles of what a discount coach award is vs. what you paid (one way). But if they really had a clue about customer service they would give you a full point refund on the entire trip. let us know how your call/letter gets received.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:26 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
This is a bunch of B.S.

It's freakin' unbelievable!!! And absolutely false information. I won't say they lied to you because it more than likely the agent thought they were telling you the truth. Any airline that they have an agreement with would accept the ticket. The only thing is you would have to get a Flight Interuption Manifest (FIM), since there is no fare on the ticket, from a US counter. They just don't want to pay to fly you on OAL in FC....

The HAVE TO give you the same class of service or higher and if they can not transport you on their airline they have to book you on another airline as long as they have a ticketing agreement with that airline.

It's all stated right in their Contract of Carriage. which can be found on their website. Here's the basics though.

SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY - 72
_ C) SCHEDULE IRREGULARITY
WHEN A PASSENGER WILL BE DELAYED BECAUSE OF A SCHEDULE
IRREGULARITY OR A CARRIER CANCELS THE
PASSENGER'S RESERVATION ACCORDING TO RULE 135 SECTION
B) OR D).
1) LIABILITY
EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROVIDED IN THIS RULE, HP
SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR FAILING TO OPERATE ANY
FLIGHT ACCORDING TO SCHEDULE OR FOR CHANGING THE
SCHEDULE OR TYPE OF EQUIPMENT USED ON ANY FLIGHT,
WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO THE PASSENGER.
2) DELAY, MISCONNECTION OR CANCELLATION
TO THE EXTENT POSSIBLE, HP WILL PROVIDE ONWARD
TRANSPORTATION TO PASSENGERS DELAYED OR
MISCONNECTED DUE TO SCHEDULE IRREGULARITIES OR
CANCELLATION OF FLIGHTS OR SERVICE.
A) IF THE DELAY OR MISCONNECTION IS CAUSED BY
HP, HP WILL TRANSPORT THE PASSENGER WITHOUT
STOPOVER ON ITS NEXT AVAILABLE FLIGHT IN THE
SAME OR HIGHER CLASS OF SERVICE, AT NO
ADDITIONAL COST TO THE PASSENGER. IF HP IS
UNABLE TO PROVIDE ONWARD TRANSPORTATION
TO THE PASSENGER, HP, WITH CONCURRENCE OF THE
PASSENGER, WILL ARRANGE FOR THE TRANSPORTATION
ON ANOTHER CARRIER OR COMBINATION OF CARRIERS
WITH WHOM HP HAS AGREEMENTS FOR SUCH
TRANSPORTATION. THE PASSENGER WILL BE TRANSPORTED
WITHOUT STOPOVER ON ITS (THEIR) NEXT FLIGHT(S), IN
THE SAME OR HIGHER CLASS OF SERVICE AT NO
ADDITIONAL COST TO THE PASSENGER.
2) DELAY, MISCONNECTION OR CANCELLATION (CONTINUED)
B) IF SPACE IS ONLY AVAILABLE AND USED ON AN HP
FLIGHT(S) IN A LOWER CLASS OF SERVICE
ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER, HP WILL PROVIDE
A REFUND OF THE DIFFERENCE IN FARES PURSUANT
TO RULE 260 (REFUND-INVOLUNTARY).

sue 'em
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
HP, can we replace the 757s yet? I have fears about them being over water for extended periods of time. And, why do United's mechanics always swarm under those planes when they are out of Phoenix?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by BFG
This is a bunch of B.S.

It's freakin' unbelievable!!! And absolutely false information. I won't say they lied to you because it more than likely the agent thought they were telling you the truth. Any airline that they have an agreement with would accept the ticket. The only thing is you would have to get a Flight Interuption Manifest (FIM), since there is no fare on the ticket, from a US counter. They just don't want to pay to fly you on OAL in FC....

The HAVE TO give you the same class of service or higher and if they can not transport you on their airline they have to book you on another airline as long as they have a ticketing agreement with that airline.
What happens if there are no first class seats available on US or another airline? Also, who would have priority? Someone who paid for a first class ticket on the cancelled flight or someone with an award ticket?
Old Feb 19, 2007, 7:10 pm
BFG

Programs: SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by debbieb
What happens if there are no first class seats available on US or another airline? Also, who would have priority? Someone who paid for a first class ticket on the cancelled flight or someone with an award ticket?
Those are good questions. If there are no FC seats then as long as the passenger agrees they can be confirmed into coach and compensated for the difference in fare. Since there is no fare paid then perhaps the miles would fall under the definition of "fare paid" in a courtroom?

I'm not sure if one would have priority over the other. As far as the contract of carriage goes it doesn't specify whether or not you purchased a ticket. It just speaks of the class of service.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 10:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. I am working on the letter to Customer Relations and will let you know how this turns out. I hope it comes out well. Thanks again everyone.
Old Feb 20, 2007, 11:15 am

If you are booking using mileage and are reaccomed in coach, just ask for the difference in miles to be redeposited. Its done all the time. As far as which first class tkt has a higher priority, neither. It comes down to which pnr is being handled first when the agents are working them in rez or who is standing on line first at the ato or who gets thru first on the fon. Its first come. All of the first class passengers are important. If there are no first class seats avail on HP or oa you will be reinbursed for the difference or you can choose to wait for a day when there is availability. In this case dont expect to have hotels comped, you will need to request that from customer relations after the fact and... good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.