Search

Headphones/earplugs during takeoff?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Headphones/earplugs during takeoff?

Anyone know if this policy has changed. I used to carry around the Carol B response that was in the magazine a while back that it was OK to wear headphones during takeoff/landing as long as the attached electronics, including NC circuitry, was off.

Last night, the FA requested that the guy across the aisle from me remove his Bose QC3's for takeoff. He noted that they were not plugged in or turned on, but she insisted that they be removed. Prepping for landing she also clearly stated that electronics must be turned off and headphones removed.

She didn't say anything about my in-ear Shure E3c's, which are basically just earplugs when the iPod isn't connected. With the yellow foam tips, they even look like earplugs.

Any FA's who can chime in on policy regarding headphones, in-ear earphones, and straight earplugs?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:04 am

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by CPRich
Anyone know if this policy has changed. I used to carry around the Carol B response that was in the magazine a while back that it was OK to wear headphones during takeoff/landing as long as the attached electronics, including NC circuitry, was off.

Last night, the FA requested that the guy across the aisle from me remove his Bose QC3's for takeoff. He noted that they were not plugged in or turned on, but she insisted that they be removed. Prepping for landing she also clearly stated that electronics must be turned off and headphones removed.

She didn't say anything about my in-ear Shure E3c's, which are basically just earplugs when the iPod isn't connected. With the yellow foam tips, they even look like earplugs.

Any FA's who can chime in on policy regarding headphones, in-ear earphones, and straight earplugs?
I had problem long ago i beleive in AIRTRAN but never had any problem using my NC headphone in US or Delta , some time FA want to make sure it is not connected.
I recall once FA in US wanted me to remove , when i was in the EXIT row.
-Rbnaidu
Old Feb 9, 2007, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP 75K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
This does sound really strange, however, there was a post on FT a few days ago from some of the US FA's that the FAA would be flying on their metal a lot more as the integration got closer to ensure that regs. were being followed. For righ tnow, I would just smile, agree, and go along with things...I have included a link to that thread with the specifics

FAA Around More As Integration Nears
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:45 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
Originally Posted by USFFlyer
This does sound really strange, however, there was a post on FT a few days ago from some of the US FA's that the FAA would be flying on their metal a lot more as the integration got closer to ensure that regs. were being followed. For righ tnow, I would just smile, agree, and go along with things...I have included a link to that thread with the specifics

FAA Around More As Integration Nears
Is anybody know what FAA say in this ( Headphone while take off and landing)

-Rbnaidu
Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Yes, I'd certainly comply with the FA's instructions - I believe that if they are concerned about flight safety they can override company policy (I know the captain can, at least). I'm just wondering whether the actual policy has changed.

The only time I was requested to remove them was about 3 year ago, in an exit row, and we were both in an exit row last night also. But the announcement covered the entire plane.

I'll write Customer Service and post back here *if* I get a reply.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA Plat, Starwood Gold, AX Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Star Alliance Gold
I wear my Bose headphones on every flight. More often than not, I'm asked to remove the headphones even if they are off and disconnected. I've questioned it twice and the response was that they wanted to make sure I could hear the captains instructions should there be an emergency. That would make sense as to why some passengers are more aware of the instruction in the exit row.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:45 pm

Aren't those noise cancelling headsets one of the greatest inventions of all time?! I gave my husband a pair of Bose for Christmas and he practically wears them 24/7. I did tell him that it might be considered rude if he wore them when his mother in law was talking to him though.
Anyway, back to the OP. From what I understand, headsets and whatever they are connected to must be turned off once the forward door has been closed for departure. They must remain off until the level off announcement is made. They must also be turned off when the approach announcement is made before landing. As f/a's, I don't believe we can force anyone to remove them with the exception of the emergency exit rows. I always ask nicely when someone in the exit row insists on wearing them, and they will usually comply. I might be completely wrong, but I believe the rule only states that they must be turned off. There is always that one person that thinks they are being clever in hiding them by listening to their ipod with the earbud only in one ear and that ear is placed right up next to the window or buried under their jacket. If it's that important to them, so be it. I'm not on there to be the drill sargeant, and if they're not blocking my exit I usually don't give it a second thought.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: US Airways,Hilton HHonors, Marriott, National
The strange thing I noticed on some flights, is the portable XM radio... I see people listening to them on the plane sometimes... I find it kind of weird.. but do not think it interfers with the plane?? The guy across from me was sneaky with his...

Originally Posted by GalleyWench
Aren't those noise cancelling headsets one of the greatest inventions of all time?! I gave my husband a pair of Bose for Christmas and he practically wears them 24/7. I did tell him that it might be considered rude if he wore them when his mother in law was talking to him though.
Anyway, back to the OP. From what I understand, headsets and whatever they are connected to must be turned off once the forward door has been closed for departure. They must remain off until the level off announcement is made. They must also be turned off when the approach announcement is made before landing. As f/a's, I don't believe we can force anyone to remove them with the exception of the emergency exit rows. I always ask nicely when someone in the exit row insists on wearing them, and they will usually comply. I might be completely wrong, but I believe the rule only states that they must be turned off. There is always that one person that thinks they are being clever in hiding them by listening to their ipod with the earbud only in one ear and that ear is placed right up next to the window or buried under their jacket. If it's that important to them, so be it. I'm not on there to be the drill sargeant, and if they're not blocking my exit I usually don't give it a second thought.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 3:05 pm

Don't forget that UA has gate-to-gate audio, so I would doubt that it's an FAA regulation. I have been asked to remove headphones several times prior to landing and find it a shame as there is nothing else to do other than listen to the onboard music. However, I also understand that US is free to set their own safety policies that are more stringent than what is established by other authorities and applaud them for doing so.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:45 pm

Location: Somewhere west of the Atlantic Ocean and east of the Pacific Ocean...
Programs: Elite of none; flyer of many
Originally Posted by cedric
Don't forget that UA has gate-to-gate audio, so I would doubt that it's an FAA regulation.
Same principle for airlines like F9 and B6, with in-seat DirecTV...headphones for the TV can be worn from pushback onwards, with the exception of the safety demo when TV's are shut off...

Last edited by N674UW; Feb 10, 2007 at 4:51 pm
Old Feb 10, 2007, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, CO Gold, US Silver, Natl Exec, Hertz #1, Avis Preferred, Elite w/ All US Hotel Programs
Originally Posted by cedric
Don't forget that UA has gate-to-gate audio, so I would doubt that it's an FAA regulation.
Keep in mind that, unlike personal music players, UA's audio is interrupted by the airplane's PA system.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by TVCMH
Keep in mind that, unlike personal music players, UA's audio is interrupted by the airplane's PA system.
I agree - these devices do need to be off during takeoff and landing anyway. However, I doubt that wearing headphones connected to US's audio system would be a breach of FAA regulations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.