Community
Wiki Posts
Search

757 Configuration

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2007, 12:44 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
I think policy used to be to let F get off before Y on the 757s....

I saw a US757 boarding through door 1L in CUN two weeks ago.

And, I can well remember back in the early 1990s when US (like everyone else had 24 seats in F on the 757s) must've had a policy about the f/a making a point to hold the Y pax until F had emptied out. Well, at least for the long haul cross-country flights. I say that because I specifically remember all of my transcons from that era on US all had those of us in F assured of getting of the a/c first. I really liked it, but can still vividly remember the occasional furious glares of a few irate pax in Y.

Perhaps, ultimately, that was the reason the F-off-first program was shelved? Perhaps it was never formal policy but maybe the unwritten rule on transcons for F? Anyone know for sure?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
[QUOTE=PhillyPhlyer40;7191471]
Originally Posted by natas43
(and know when to call if you don't get the bump at your window)! QUOTE]

The f/a should stand and HOLD everyone until 8-1 deplanes...but then again, as noticed in other posts, f/a's seem to just NOT care about elites anymore!

OT, but this system is TOTALLY broken....knowing "when to call" should NOT happen! Guess thats why I went with a system that works.
The system is broken...so the key is learning how to make the system work for you. As a plat, I don't get ahead of many on the list....I have more competition from the silvers and golds.

I overheard a passenger in LAS yesterday saying that there is a *A bylaw that requires at minimum 12 F seats. Is this true?
Old Feb 9, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
Originally Posted by sbtinme
Perhaps, ultimately, that was the reason the F-off-first program was shelved?
Perhaps it was shelved becuase people referred to it as the "F-Off" program?

Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:11 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by dukeman
...Funny thing happened a few years ago in BDL. I was on a 321 in F. After we parked at the gate it took forever for the jetway to be in place. This was followed by lots of inter-phone activity between the cockpit and the FA's. The jetway operator brought the jetway to Door 2 on the 321, luckily he/she did not hit the engine. We waited for the jetway to get moved to Door 1. I think the Captain was about to have a heart attack. I'm certain the jetway operator got a "lecture" about the determining if the plane is a 321 or 757.
There is no problem with the 321 being boarded/disembarked at Door 2, provided it is steps. British Midland used to routinely use Door 2 when boarding was done by steps - though I never saw a jetbridge at door 2, only airstairs.

On a Friday evening at the Dublin station, for the last turnaround flight of the day it was clear that the ground crew were eager to get done and get to the bar before last orders... There would be a jetbridge on door 1, airstairs on door 2, and airstairs on door 4. Passengers would be spewing out of all 3 doors, cleaning was done in lightening time, and the new passengers reboarded in a flash. It had to be the quickest turnaround for a 200 seat aircraft ever!!!
Old Feb 9, 2007, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis President; Marriott Platinum
I was on a 75 today in FC, when I checked in at the kiosk FC was fairly empty. The only question I have is, has it always been that cramped? The guy in front of me was completely reclined and pactically in my lap. To get out of me seat I had to climb over my armrest.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 5:35 pm

I don't fly the 757 that often, but the last couple of months (and March) that is the airplane I'm flying. I fly the position that stands and sits by 2L, so I am the boarding and deplaning f/a. The way I usually try to work deplaning is to do a 1 for 1 or 2 for 2 ratio...1 from the forward cabin and 1 from the rear; sort of like you would hope people would merge when the highway goes from 3 lanes down to 1 (and we all know how smoothly that flows on the interstate ) I do remember the day, looooong ago, when we used to let first class deplane first but there were many times when that turned into a real fiasco. As much as you would like to think that everyone in f/c is in a huge hurry to get off you would be surprised how slow some of them can be. It's not really fair to make 80% of the airplane wait while a handful of people are taking their time, getting their coats on, rearranging the insides of their luggage and trying to get that one last quick call in on their cell phone before they get off the airplane. To be honest, I haven't had one person complain about having to wait an extra minute to get off; at least not to my face.
And I'm sorry, but to say that f/a's don't care about elites anymore is just plain ridiculous! The majority of the people that I work with will bend over backwards for anyone, regardless of their status or lack thereof.
Old Feb 9, 2007, 8:54 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by EddieG
I was on a 75 today in FC, when I checked in at the kiosk FC was fairly empty. The only question I have is, has it always been that cramped? The guy in front of me was completely reclined and pactically in my lap. To get out of me seat I had to climb over my armrest.
Row 1 is the favored row if you are able to score an F seat at all.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 7:58 am

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
. . . The f/a should stand and HOLD everyone until 8-1 deplanes...but then again, as noticed in other posts, f/a's seem to just NOT care about elites anymore! . . .

PhillyPhyler40,

I didn't see any emotcons in your post, but I'm gonna hope you were joking about FAs holding the cabin while "elites" get off the plane first.

I simply do not see an issue here. Life is life and the planet goes round and round. Getting off of a plane before other folks just doesn't score high on my hard-on meter. We all get to where we're going in due time.

Barry
Old Feb 10, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
[QUOTE=natas43;7193921]
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40

I overheard a passenger in LAS yesterday saying that there is a *A bylaw that requires at minimum 12 F seats. Is this true?
That certainly would be news to other *A members, such as Spanair.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: AA AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Member
If it was, UA would have a problem, considering that it has no F on Ted and only 8 F seats on some 737s and 319s. Same with bmi not having business class on some of its flights (for example on an Airbus from LHR to MAN). So, doubt it's a bylaw.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think the guy was a CP, and was running his mouth about how much he travels, the row he prefers if he doesn't get upgraded, etc. He apparently found an older gentleman that would listen to him and he went on and on and on and on..... but that was one of the things he was BSing the guy about!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Emerald Exec
Originally Posted by jerseyfinn
I simply do not see an issue here. Life is life and the planet goes round and round. Getting off of a plane before other folks just doesn't score high on my hard-on meter. We all get to where we're going in due time.
I totally agree...I'll complain about this after they fix everything else wrong with the airline.

The 75 has trade-offs, I'll take a later deplaning over having every passenger walk down the aisle, completely oblivious to their oversize carry-ons hitting aisle passengers in the head!
Old Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by phllax
I think the only place where they used the 1L door was at the old DCA Interim terminal. Even in the islands where they use air-stairs, they use 2L and 4L.

AA is the only carrier I know of that uses 1L on a regular basis.
Whenever I fly NWA 757s, we board 2L in LAS and 50% of the time, we deplane 1L in DTW/MSP.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 8:53 am

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
[QUOTE=PhillyPhlyer40;7191471]
(and know when to call if you don't get the bump at your window)! QUOTE]

f/a's seem to just NOT care about elites anymore!
Another thankful reason that you have a new home at NWA.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:54 am

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by Greg P.
Maybe CO listens, but clearly US does not listen or care in this regard.

Yeah I was appalled the first time I saw a 757 with only 2 rows of FC seating. I was actually holding a ticket for row 3 and just assumed that I was in First Class. Imagine my surprise!

Personally, I won't fly a US 757 unless there are simply no other choices available.
How was row 3? I have a 3F (window) on a flight to CUN. Seatguru lists it as a yellow but just wondering if its a decent seat? (Or is the bulkhead wall right in front of your face?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.