Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CLT and GSP may have issues on Thursday...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2007, 6:27 pm

Programs: None
I probably should have added that you should keep an eye on the weather if you're in CLT tomorrow. This is shaping up to be one of those winter storms that could be worse or better than forecast for those on the boundry between mostly snow and mostly ice. And that's shaping up to be those along the I-85 corridore.

So if it starts looking like it's going to be worse than forecast, it might not hurt to check on an earlier flight.

Jim
Old Jan 31, 2007, 7:52 pm

Programs: US Platinum, DL GM
similar situation in PHL

Would appreciate some advice. I'm scheduled on the 4:20 PM flight from PHL-LAX on Friday; connecting to a 10:30 UA flight to SYD. I currently have a 3-hour layover to provide a cushion. I'm debating whether to switch now to the 2:40 PHL-LAX flight, just in case things are really delayed on Fri in PHL. Not sure if going out earlier or later on Fri is better, given the weather situation. However if the 2:40 flight for some odd reason gets cancelled, I'm in trouble having given up my seat on the 4:20. Thoughts anyone?
Old Jan 31, 2007, 9:17 pm

Programs: None
Right now the Weather Channel is showing snow/rain showers for the early/mid- morning, getting progressively better throughout the remainer of the day.

Keep an eye on the forecast Thursday night and if there's no change you should be OK.

More a question than a comment - if you go thru the process of moving up to the earlier flight and pay the $25 for a confirmed seat, wouldn't you then have all the protections as though you'd originally booked the earlier flight?
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:00 am

Programs: US Platinum, DL GM
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
More a question than a comment - if you go thru the process of moving up to the earlier flight and pay the $25 for a confirmed seat, wouldn't you then have all the protections as though you'd originally booked the earlier flight?
Yes, you are right. I just wonder whether earlier flights will have more problems and could possibly get cancelled. I wish I had a crystal ball ... or the weather forecasters were more accurate.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 5:59 am

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Well, my little corner of NC is getting sleet/snow right now. Glad I'm not flying today.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 6:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
This is an update from a CLT resident. The city officially closed its doors and roads at 2:00 a.m. on 2/1/2007 because someone thought they thought there might be a snowflake making an appearance later in the day.

In an incredibly impressive response, the city of 1 million people sent all 24 of its sand / salt trucks out to do battle with the nasty white things that may or may not fall from the sky. Two of these 24 were assigned to one specific overpass, which left a healthy 22 trucks to take care of the rest of the roads.

Seeing the writing on the wall, all schools promplty pre-emptively closed.

As the snow began to fall later in the morning, panic set in. Bread and milk trucks were unable to restock bare shelves at grocery stores because their 'drive like a NASCAR driver' training programs are not conducive to adverse road conditions.

There is no word as of yet on whether Mayor McCrory will declare a state of emergency. Speculation is that he, like all but the 24 truck drivers, is taking the day off as all non-critical governmental employees are advised to stay home.

Updates will provided for however long Internet service is available to this baren city.

Keep us in your prayers...and send bread and milk.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:07 am

Programs: DL (Medallion), AA, WN, Scareways, HH, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by dingo
This is an update from a CLT resident. The city officially closed its doors and roads at 2:00 a.m. on 2/1/2007 because someone thought they thought there might be a snowflake making an appearance later in the day.

In an incredibly impressive response, the city of 1 million people sent all 24 of its sand / salt trucks out to do battle with the nasty white things that may or may not fall from the sky. Two of these 24 were assigned to one specific overpass, which left a healthy 22 trucks to take care of the rest of the roads.

Seeing the writing on the wall, all schools promplty pre-emptively closed.

As the snow began to fall later in the morning, panic set in. Bread and milk trucks were unable to restock bare shelves at grocery stores because their 'drive like a NASCAR driver' training programs are not conducive to adverse road conditions.

There is no word as of yet on whether Mayor McCrory will declare a state of emergency. Speculation is that he, like all but the 24 truck drivers, is taking the day off as all non-critical governmental employees are advised to stay home.

Updates will provided for however long Internet service is available to this baren city.

Keep us in your prayers...and send bread and milk.
Wow, I'm glad I live in the north, this would barely slow down rush hour!

I'm flight tracking a flight due to land in a few minutes (I have family and friends on it) in CLT and it's right on time....hopefully things will be OK there today.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 8:24 am

Programs: US Gold, NW Silver, MR Silver, SPG Gold & OpenTable VIP
Originally Posted by SleepPHL
Would appreciate some advice. I'm scheduled on the 4:20 PM flight from PHL-LAX on Friday; connecting to a 10:30 UA flight to SYD. I currently have a 3-hour layover to provide a cushion. I'm debating whether to switch now to the 2:40 PHL-LAX flight, just in case things are really delayed on Fri in PHL. Not sure if going out earlier or later on Fri is better, given the weather situation. However if the 2:40 flight for some odd reason gets cancelled, I'm in trouble having given up my seat on the 4:20. Thoughts anyone?
Tomorrow morning is supposed to be very bad in PHL. NWS is calling for 1-3 inches of snow overnight with freezing rain setting Friday rush hour. It'll be a nightmare at PHL tomorrow morning and depending on how quickly it warms up, delays/cancellations could last into the early PM hours.

NWS Report:

The National Weather Service in Mount Holly has issued a Winter
Weather Advisory... which is in effect from midnight tonight to
9 am EST Friday.

An area of low pressure over the southeastern United States will
move toward the mid Atlantic states. A second low will then form
and move northeastward toward New England. Snow will begin by
midnight across the region and will continue into Friday morning.
As temperatures drop below freezing tonight, the snow will become
mixed with freezing rain. The mixed precipitation will end late
Friday morning.

While snow accumulations are expected to be from 1 to 3 inches, the
combination of snow and any freezing rain should make for
hazardous travel hazardous late tonight and early Friday morning.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat
my flight from LIT to CLT was postponed......so I drove to MEM, dropped off my rental car and was inside with 34 min to go.....and the kiosk crashed and wouldn't check me in. by the time the agent straightened it out the flight was closed, so he booked me on the 6:20 flight to CLT. Came down to the gate where the flight WASN'T YET BOARDING.....so I complained and tried to get back on the flight, but was put in the standby list. Since it was overweight - guess who's still sitting in the bar in MEM? :mad
Old Feb 1, 2007, 7:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond MR PLAT US Gold
What a day ??

10:35 AM - Tried to reschedule 5:30 to 1:00
CP angel told me that 1 and 2:25 are canceled ( not on Web yet)
and not sure about 3:45 and 5:30 may be delayed
Also told that 11:20 AM on time and there are seats available
10:45 AM Hopped into a cab
11:00 AM at the security line , the guy ahead of me forgot to remove water
bottle from the carry on , TSA want take closer look for my bag too.
11:10 AM at the gate for 11:20 Flight - boarding zone 7
11:17 AM GA reschduled my ticket for 11:20
11:19 AM Entered to flight , saw more than 5 empty seats in FC ( A321)
11:20 AM GA and FA conveyed to my upgrade
11:25 - 11:45 de icing
12:00 Take off
1:20 PM landed in PHL
2:00 PM Home - Hoooray

Still learning all these with all your posts/comments and suggestions
Great Forum / Excellent members

-Rbnaidu

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.