Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight segments/miles as crow flies versus as traveled

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Flight segments/miles as crow flies versus as traveled

I recently completed a DCA-PHL-SFO-PHX-DCA work trip on all US metal, and now that the miles have posted, have a question re: mileage as the crow flies from origin to destination versus as traveled.

On the return from SFO, I was on flight 46 through PHX and traveled approx 2650 miles. However, I only received 2449 miles since US did the determination straight from SFO to DCA as the crow flies (as opposed to as the A319 flies), since both parts of the trip used the same flight number. Similarly, the flight is recorded as only one segment, even though there were technically two parts to the trip (SFO-PHX, PHX-DCA).

I ask about this because I had registered for the Silver Challenge, and might need those extra couple hundred miles and segment to make it (or make it more quickly). So I want to get a sense of whether US is likely to bend on this. I had a similar situation on American - same flight number, going from DCA-MIA-STX, but only got miles for distance direct between DCA-STX - and got them to credit the extra miles (plus some additional miles) and the flight segment. Want to know if I'll have to battle US for it.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, US, FlyingBlue
Mileage is calculated "as the crow flies" from origin to destination for each flight number. So, in your case because the flight number didn't change mileage was calculated and awarded as if your plane took off from SFO and flew straight to DCA. Note this would be the same irregardless if you changed planes in PHX, as long as it's the same flight number.

If there was a flight number change, you would get two separate segments credits, one SFO-PHX and a second PHX-DCA. This is standard practice at most airlines and would not expect US to adjust your mileage, but it's always worth a call or email to see if you might get it changed.
Old Jan 25, 2007, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Consider yourself educated as to the "evil" of "direct" flights, at least for us milehounds. First rule is don't book a direct flight if you can book a connection, unless the miles are very close.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 8:12 am

Programs: US GP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gardener
Consider yourself educated as to the "evil" of "direct" flights, at least for us milehounds. First rule is don't book a direct flight if you can book a connection, unless the miles are very close.
When booking a flight with a connection, how do you know if it's direct or not? For example, when booking on the US website....
Old Jan 26, 2007, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Hmmm... This is what I expected, when I first saw the flights (booked by travel agent), but it was the only way to get a transcon with out being stuck in a middle seat or in a window seat with someone in the middle next to me (everything else thru PHL, PIT, LAS, CLT was jammed that day for some reason). So hopefully US will show some sympathy like AA did. I'm not a heavy flyer, but enough that having status would be much appreciated (and would probably get me to direct the rest of my flying toward US).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tmann0619
When booking a flight with a connection, how do you know if it's direct or not? For example, when booking on the US website....
If each leg has the same flight number, it is direct. Two legs with different flight numbers = connection. One flight = nonstop (often called "direct" by people who are not familiar with airline speak).
Old Jan 26, 2007, 10:26 pm

If each leg has the same flight number, it is direct. Two legs with different flight numbers = connection. One flight = nonstop (often called "direct" by people who are not familiar with airline speak).
Direct flights are also known as a through flight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.