Wiki Posts
Search

Glassware back on US East F in December

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold.
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Welcome to FlyerTalk, MrSyslogd!

The fact you were on HP (or US West metal, if one prefers) has everything to do with it; they've had glassware for some time on all flights with meal service. It's the East side that has been all plastic, all the time (domestically, anyway).
Danke.

I thought as much. Even the glassware was etched with the USAir logo.
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by MrSyslogd
Danke.

I thought as much. Even the glassware was etched with the USAir logo.
Which is funny considering they can get old US-East glassware out of eastern storage facilities for western flights?
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:16 am

Back when I worked in CCY (stop trowing tomatoes and booing) they were giving away the glassware to employees after they discontinued it. On a side note... the pantry for the boardroom in CCY was stocked full of US glassware. A hodge-podge of old and new logos and sometimes that really nice pattern with the navy and gold trimming (Is that what was used for the transatlantic F?)
Old Dec 10, 2006, 11:59 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
What did they serve for the meal service? ^

PHL-PHX was pasta in a red sauce w/chicken (was small and really terrible) or Hotpocket with something in it.

PHX-PHL was Shrimp lasagna (looked horrible) or a "chicken parm sandwich" which was a hot pocket so bad that my 8 yr old son and his classmates wouldve thrown it back at the lunch ladies had they been served that. My seatmate made reference to it being cafeteria food, and I requested that he NOT insult cafeterias like that!!!

At least the mushroom gnocchi stuff was edible!!!
Old Dec 10, 2006, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
PHL-PHX was pasta in a red sauce w/chicken (was small and really terrible) or Hotpocket with something in it.

PHX-PHL was Shrimp lasagna (looked horrible) or a "chicken parm sandwich" which was a hot pocket so bad that my 8 yr old son and his classmates wouldve thrown it back at the lunch ladies had they been served that. My seatmate made reference to it being cafeteria food, and I requested that he NOT insult cafeterias like that!!!

Shrimp lasagna was very tasty, and the chicken parm sandwich was a nice meal idea as well.

Your 8yr old son shouldve been grateful for a decent warm meal on a longer flight. I'd take USAir food over lunchroom food anyday as would most FT'ers here. In addition, the lunchroom food your son eats is fattenning and there is little or no nutrition in it, though it it high on calories at the same time and those artificial food colors.
Additionally, I'd rather have a Buy on Board in Y caesar saladwich than some free food in CO Y that my fellow friends who fly CO say stinks up the entire Y cabin and causes diahhrea.
Lastly, if you are going to assume and say that your son throws food around, it begs me to say how low can you go. 75% of Africa is lacking food for children, that your son (I would hope not) would throw.
Sorry folks, but it makes me steam when people are disrespectful towards food.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by sts603
Good point re: NW. Still doesn't beat UA, AA and CO which actually serve meals on 2 hour flights. I agree, US would do well if they put a fruit option or two into the basket a la NW. Oh that and glass on all flights.
NW's first class seats are worse than some airlines' coach class. In fact, the tray table folds down from the seat in front of you, just like in coach. I personally like US Airways' snack basket more, and of course, the Coke products.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 3:12 pm

Location: The views I express here are not necessarily supported by any airline or codeshare partners, nor do I represent their views and/or opinions. They are my own OPINIONS dont like them dont read them.....
cooking time

While I have served much better food in my 20 years of flying, the problem here lately has alot to do with the preperation of the food and the fact that catering needs to spray some spam on the aluminum holders the pasta cooks in. Because food is only served on transcons, caribbean, and transatlanic, many f/as never touch the ovens. Those meals should be cooked for only 15 minutes...17 tops...and on medium. I see f/as putting the meals on for 21 minutes. THAT'S why it looks like cafeprison food.

Heard glassware was put back a month.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 4:16 pm

Programs: United Premier Gold (Million Miler), Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Hilton Diamond Lifetime
Glassware history

According to my notes, glassware on US Airways disappeared sometime between May and June of 2003 (6 months after I became a CP).

[One of the straws that eventually broke the back and sent me over to United]
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:12 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Glass Was One Of My Straws To For Going UA

The glass was also one of the straws that sent me from mainly a US CP to a UA 1K. One other big straw was DCA ccustomer service and difficulty getting hotel vouchers and the like in unusual situations, where as UA provides hotel vouchers to 1K even per published rules due to weather irops. Another reason was the nickel and diming like the $25 standby fee which the DCA shuttle ticket counter at least likes to try and charge. I have gotten quite used to now the IAD commute instead of DCA, I like UA's P.S. for occasional west coast travel, and I find UA often more accommodating in weird situations. And I was unaware until just now the glass will not come back for short east flights?

An example I like to bring up is say you upgrade a date or a client or whomever in to US F, and then they get a plastic cup just like in coach? And they say why do you do all this FF stuff to drink out of a plastic cup just like you get in coach? It just makes the experience less memorable. I guess it goes along with wanting to be more like Kosco and less like Nordstrom??

I've also been impressed overall with NW service and I think it has an undeserved bad reputation. It is no worse than US. Some of its planes are tired, etc., but overall I've had good NW experiences.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:25 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Your 8yr old son shouldve been grateful for a decent warm meal on a longer flight. .

I guess that is why they have competition. I CHOOSE to fly CO/NW for the "little" perks...like a hot, edible meal. If you can get the address, I would be the first one to send my hot pocket $1.95 attempt of a meal on a $1300 fare to any 3rd world country. Better yet, I would love for Dougie P to spend 5 hours heading to a meeting and have a hot pocket to eat.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:41 pm

I guess that is why they have competition. I CHOOSE to fly CO/NW for the "little" perks...like a hot, edible meal. If you can get the address, I would be the first one to send my hot pocket $1.95 attempt of a meal on a $1300 fare to any 3rd world country. Better yet, I would love for Dougie P to spend 5 hours heading to a meeting and have a hot pocket to eat.
What airline does Dougie P. fly from PHX to the the East coast?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Talking

All the FC food I have had on US has been quite good. I really could not ask for more at 30,000 feet on a 6 hour flight. I nice salad and fruit and a calzone for dinner. Breakfast omlet was real good too. As long as I get a drink i dont care if its in a can, bottle, plastic, or glass...im just not that picky.

Who pays for FC, anyway? If you pay 1300 for a FC US ticket you need your head examined.

Last edited by DWilliamson5002; Dec 11, 2006 at 6:00 pm Reason: I fly US...so I must be dumb
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
just my $.20 report

PBI-CLT-DTW US No glassware 12-7

DTW-PHX AW Glassware and a meal of Chicken Ceasr (Fair) 12-9

PHX-PHL-PBI No glassware Red Eye and AM flight to PBI (no Glassware on both) 12-9 & 12-10

SCA

Last edited by SAnger3494; Dec 12, 2006 at 4:32 am
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by SAnger3494
PBI-CLT-DTW US No glassware 12-7

PBI-PHX AW Glassware and a meal of Chicken Ceasr (Fair) 12-9

PHX-PHL-PBI No glassware Red Eye and AM flight to PBI (no Glassware on both) 12-9 & 12-10
SCA

Since when did US start flying PHX-PBI. Their first westward service begins in Feb 2007 and to LAS on US metal.?
Old Dec 12, 2006, 4:33 am

Programs: DL FO, US SP, SPG G, HH S, PC PLT
Sorry for that it is DTW-PHX AW

SCA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.