Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Safety Concerns!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2006, 8:04 am
L&J
Original Poster

Angry USAirways Safety Concerns!

Over the last two months I've had seven (7) USAirways flights delayed , cancelled, aborted and almost crashed due to what was described as
"mechanical problems". All of these flights were being operatede not directly by USAirways but by its subcontractors (Air MidWest, Air Wisconsin, Piedmont, Republic etc.). All the flights I've had directly with USAirways have been without problems.
My concern is that these subcontracted airlines are having real problems maintaining equipment up to any reasonable standard of safety. The landing in Pittsburgh when it was "uncertain if the landing gear was properly deployed", that was greeted by a runway full of ambulances and fire trucks
certainly brought that point home.
After much correspondence with USAirways PR Dept. I have yet to get any explanation for this series of almost weekly problems with the mechanical aspects of the planes. My question is how to best pursue this issue with some
responsible governmental agency? Thanks- JOHN
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by L&J
After much correspondence with USAirways PR Dept. I have yet to get any explanation for this series of almost weekly problems with the mechanical aspects of the planes.
Bad luck?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:21 am

Programs: US NW EK
Originally Posted by L&J
Over the last two months I've had seven (7) USAirways flights delayed , cancelled, aborted and almost crashed due to what was described as
"mechanical problems". All of these flights were being operatede not directly by USAirways but by its subcontractors (Air MidWest, Air Wisconsin, Piedmont, Republic etc.). All the flights I've had directly with USAirways have been without problems.
My concern is that these subcontracted airlines are having real problems maintaining equipment up to any reasonable standard of safety. The landing in Pittsburgh when it was "uncertain if the landing gear was properly deployed", that was greeted by a runway full of ambulances and fire trucks
certainly brought that point home.
After much correspondence with USAirways PR Dept. I have yet to get any explanation for this series of almost weekly problems with the mechanical aspects of the planes. My question is how to best pursue this issue with some
responsible governmental agency? Thanks- JOHN
What is the time frame for these 7 flights?
Also if your flight "almost crashed" as you say, don't worry the FAA already knows about it. Also how is a flight aborted? Wouldn't that be the same as cancelled? I personally believe that these airplanes are just as well maintained as mainline jets. However the reason why there seems to be more mechanical issues with these jets is because according to the FAA web site mainline combined (east+west) has 357 jets and the express carriers that fly for them have atleast 511 total, and even though not all the jets for some of the feeder carriers operate for US that is still substantialy more airplanes than mainline, and thus more airplanes to break down. Also these smaller regional jets do more flights per day then the mainline jets, which exposes the aircraft to the most critical parts of the flight (takeoff+landing) more often.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 2:02 am

Programs: AA Plat
I think we have all sat at a gate for a few minutes while a computer that didn't check out got changed, or a seat with a sharp edge was taped. I don't think that means the airline is poorly maintained. It just means that every system (and there are many) has to check out before they depart. I was in a 767 the other day PHL-AMS whose anti-lock brake system computer did not boot without errors. They took a cargo palete off so that the weight was down to the limit allowed under those conditions and then we took off. It doesn't bother most people to wait a few minutes to have all the systems check out.

If the "almost crash" that you refer to is the landing gear indicator light not coming on when the gear was deployed, then I'm not sure that qualifies as almost crashing. They took a precaution to and had emergency crews there but I don't really think that constitutes almost crashing.

US aircraft are extremely well built and well maintained. The incidents that do happen are usually weather or human error, not maintenance.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 8:56 am
L&J
Original Poster

Angry More Details

I've been 30 years of frequent flying so I am quite aware of sitting at the gate for minor problems. A quick synopsis of what has happened-all of which are MECHANICAL, not crew nor weather problems. There were several other flights during this time period that were excused for weather or crew problems
so the pattern of reliability for USAirways is more than poor in my estimation.

August 8- plane left gate- sat taxi area for 3 hours while trying to fix computer problem- eventually flight cancelled as we returned to gate.

August 8- next flight the plane was on runway and we began takeoff only
to abort it halfway down runway -we pulled off runway and effected a
repair problem to plane- hour later we departed

August 17- Plane approached landing-aborted landing-circled airport for half hour while emergency crews were positioned along runway. Indicators were
that landing gear was not deployed. Landed safely-off loaded on runway and taken by van to terminal

September 14- Plane arrived at small airport with mechanical problems- passengers were required to spend night or rent vehicle for three hour drive
to destination, which i did.

September 21- Flight was cancelled as in-bound aircraft had to return to
originating airport due to mechanical problems in flight.

September 27- Flight was cancelled due to "mechanical problems" with plane

October 11- Flight was cancelled due to "mechanical problems" with plane
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:11 am

Programs: UA 2P, Hertz 5*, Priority Club Gold, US
I haven't been flying US much lately but have been on WN many times over the last 2 months and not one of my flights has been delayed / canceled due to mechanical issues. So it sure sounds like US is having some issues keeping up with routine maintenance (IMHO). I hope you have better luck in your future flights.

Take care,
Bob
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
For me, this stuff seems to just run in cycles. I've had more mechanical delays in the past two months than I've had in the past two years -- on both East and West. In my case, every flight has been mainline.

In one week earlier this month, I had 7 HP/US flights and every single one of them was delayed by a mechanical problem of some level. On a couple of occasions the issues were clearly discretionary and the pilots were sticking it to the company by significantly delaying the flight for maintenance -- all part of their contract negotiation strategy.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:47 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by L&J
I've been 30 years of frequent flying so I am quite aware of sitting at the gate for minor problems. A quick synopsis.....
None of those instances appear to be a "near crash". And, as 30+ year flyer, you probably know that an aircraft is fully capable of landing with no landing gear, sliding on its aluminum belly to a nerve-racking halt.

As for your other incidents, it really does sound like bad luck. Were they ALL from the same express carrier?
Old Oct 27, 2006, 9:53 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I fly twice weekly. Only once in the past year have I had a mechanical delay.

Weather on the other hand ...

It just looks like you've been having bad luck.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:06 am

L&J's concerns do seem to be valid, but that is only because of his bad luck. I have taken many RJ and prop flights this year and only had one go mechanical.

I don't think that any concern on the matter is 100% unfounded though. We see how shoddy operations like Mesa's can be in regards to customer service, and how low their employee compensation can be. If they cut so many corners with these parts of their operations, it is no completely unreasonable to think that this mentality could trickle on over to safety and maintenance.

That said, I will be boarding many more Express flights this year w/o much concern. I don't think I would have the same opinion I had shared L&J's experiences.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by rwmiller
So it sure sounds like US is having some issues keeping up with routine maintenance (IMHO).
Take care,
Bob
You're right. Fuel is so expensive, they've stopped maintaining the planes....

Not sure the relevance of your small sample of LUV flights, but if that makes you happy, so be it.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
I think USAirways is perfectly safe. The Express operation is a little long in the tooth as regards certain equipment, like the DH8. It's a tough bird, but sometimes they vibrate so much, you think the thing is going to come apart. What's unsaid is how much of that flying is subcontracted to third parties, who presumably can provide the service for less than the company. Since the company pays its own Express crews much less than mainline, you can imagine how cheap the other guys are. This can manifest itself in relatively low time flight crews, which becomes a bigger problem when so many routes are handed to Express, to save money. What I find particularly interesting, is when there has been an accident, in recent years, the company has gone out of its way to describe the flight by using its operator's name, never mentioning USAirways, even though personnel wear company uniforms, and the aircraft has the company logo plastered all over it.
Old Oct 27, 2006, 1:28 pm

Programs: GSA City-Pair; emeritus AS MVPG/UA 1K/US Plat, etc.
"Almost crashed" sounds like ridiculous hyperbole. All the failures you describe were properly reported and dealt with by pilots and maintenance staff, even if it meant delaying or cancelling the flight if necessary. That's what they *should* be doing. I'd be far more worried if these sort of issues weren't happening and were simply being covered up - "Fly the plane even if the flight computer keeps rebooting itself," etc.
Old Jun 19, 2008, 9:49 pm

US Airways Flight Should Not Have Taken Off

06-16-08 Flight 215, took off from Las Vegas (McCarran) @ 7:55 p.m. (scheduled, but took off a little late) Scheduled to arrive 9:07 p.m. in Phoenix.

Before takeoff from McCaren the plane was making grinding noises. Some people thought they sounded like a dog, others said it sounded like a saw. We were still on the ground. The plane took off anyway. The flight attendant said that the noise would stop when the airplane took off, which it did.

Midway through the flight, the pilot announced, "Not to be alarmed, I have to put the gear down (we were at 31000 feet). A sudden noise occurred when the landing gear was lowered and the plane shook considerably. It lasted between 8 and 10 minutes. We landed safely in Phoenix. We remained seated for 10 to 15 minutes after we landed listening to a high pitched noise. After landing everyone was apprehensive and wanted off the plane as quickly as possible, but were forced to wait.

P.S. Quite a few of the passengers were overheard saying, "I'll never ride on US Airways again. And me, I believe in second chances. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Don't make me a fool.

Last edited by TomMot; Jun 19, 2008 at 9:52 pm Reason: edited for date
Old Jun 19, 2008, 10:10 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by TomMot
06-16-08 Flight 215, took off from Las Vegas (McCarran) @ 7:55 p.m. (scheduled, but took off a little late) Scheduled to arrive 9:07 p.m. in Phoenix.

Before takeoff from McCaren the plane was making grinding noises. Some people thought they sounded like a dog, others said it sounded like a saw. We were still on the ground. The plane took off anyway. The flight attendant said that the noise would stop when the airplane took off, which it did.

Midway through the flight, the pilot announced, "Not to be alarmed, I have to put the gear down (we were at 31000 feet). A sudden noise occurred when the landing gear was lowered and the plane shook considerably. It lasted between 8 and 10 minutes. We landed safely in Phoenix. We remained seated for 10 to 15 minutes after we landed listening to a high pitched noise. After landing everyone was apprehensive and wanted off the plane as quickly as possible, but were forced to wait.

P.S. Quite a few of the passengers were overheard saying, "I'll never ride on US Airways again. And me, I believe in second chances. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. Don't make me a fool.
Others with greater expertise feel free to weigh in here, but this sounds like a wheel well fire indicator went off as I can't think of another reason why the gear would need to be lowered at cruise altitude. The noise and shaking would be due to the drag from the gear being extended and possibly a reduction in speed needed to safely lower the gear.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...306Z/KLAS/KPHX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.