Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Missed Connection due to Customs/Re-checking bags - rebooking?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC, LH M&M, EY Guest
Missed Connection due to Customs/Re-checking bags - rebooking?

Hey,

I will be traveling from Europe to the US with US on December 26th connecting in PHL. My layover is just under 2 hours. Given the case that IŽd miss my connection due to long lines at immigration or customs, will I get rebooked? How probable is it that the 2 hours are enough time? I am traveling in J and arriving in PHL at around 4 pm.

Thanks
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), HHonors Gold, AMEX PLT, UA Silver, National EXC
Originally Posted by nic14691
Hey,

I will be traveling from Europe to the US with US on December 26th connecting in PHL. My layover is just under 2 hours. Given the case that IŽd miss my connection due to long lines at immigration or customs, will I get rebooked? How probable is it that the 2 hours are enough time? I am traveling in J and arriving in PHL at around 4 pm.

Thanks
Do you have checked bags?
Do you have Global Entry?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Sorry for the missing info. I do have checked bags and I donŽt have a US passport.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP could expect to be booked onto the next available US-operated flight, without regard to bag count or Global Entry, with a single ticket and evidence he made a good-faith effort to get the ticketed connection. (Disappearing for a few hours at PHL without explanation and showing up at the ticket counter for rebooking could make a problem.)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:51 pm

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
2 hours may work out or not - depends on your luck really. And depends on how late the flight from Europe is.

If it does not work out, usually the airline will rebook you but keep in mind that considering the time and date, it may be on the next day... or even later - as long as you are on the same ticket, you should be fine. Such things happen - I will be very surprised if they even bat at eye when it does happen - as long as it was a legal connection, I would not worry.

Traveling in J does not make any difference.

In my experience - I always leave at least 3 hours on my arrival airport... never needed more than an hour overall (non-US passport here as well). Just get off the plane as fast as possible and if you miss the connection, talk with Customer Services immediately.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 3:52 pm

As long as you are booked on a single ticket, and the connection is greater than the MCT for International->Domestic (which I'm sure 2 hours is), if you miss the connection due to immigration/customs delays you would be rebooked. You might not get any other compensation (hotel/meals etc) as it's not really the airline's fault (though they do coordinate schedules with the airport/customs management and even pay for the equipment and staffing in many cases).

2 hours should be enough time in most cases though.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I checked the history of my MAD-PHL flight the last couple of days and it usually arrives well ahead of schedule, but you never know. I hope for a quiet day at PHL since itŽs the day after christmas etc.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Thanks for your replies. I checked the history of my MAD-PHL flight the last couple of days and it usually arrives well ahead of schedule, but you never know. I hope for a quiet day at PHL since itŽs the day after christmas etc.
I'd put the chances of you making this well over 90-95%, which is why they're willing to sell this connection. Being in J means you'll be off your plane before the bulk of your fellow passengers as US allows business class to deplane before coach. Also, since it's winter, a bunch of seasonal flights to and from Europe aren't operating - they generally run April through October or so, so you'll have fewer arrivals then, plus the first batch of flights from Europe start arriving about 3 hours before you, so the immigration queues are spread out some.

Bottom line, don't spend time worrying about it in advance. I would have booked this connection as well (well, that is if I didn't live in PHL). If there's a delay the day of, deal with it then using the advice in this thread, but I wouldn't worry about it now.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP uses the term "layover" not "connection" so important to confirm that he's on one ticket.

Either way, US will likely rebook. But, depending on here he's headed xPHL, there may or may not be next flight that day and it may or may not have availability. That, of course, means overnighting which is no fun during the holidays.

OP - Where are you headed from PHL?
Old Dec 16, 2014, 8:48 pm

OP, also note that "re-checking bags" doesn't involve going to the main ticket counter and waiting in long lines there; there's a special bag drop right after customs where you leave them. Your bags will have already been tagged for the final destination (again assuming this is a single ticket with a connection).

You will have to go through security after that, but I don't recall whether the PHL security checkpoint I went through was dedicated to international arrivals or not. It was pretty quick though.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
OP uses the term "layover" not "connection" so important to confirm that he's on one ticket.

Either way, US will likely rebook. But, depending on here he's headed xPHL, there may or may not be next flight that day and it may or may not have availability. That, of course, means overnighting which is no fun during the holidays.

OP - Where are you headed from PHL?
Sorry for the confusion. It is all booked on one ticket and IŽm connecting to RSW. I donŽt think there are any later flights on that day, but there might be some to FLL or TPA.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by jmastron
OP, also note that "re-checking bags" doesn't involve going to the main ticket counter and waiting in long lines there; there's a special bag drop right after customs where you leave them. Your bags will have already been tagged for the final destination (again assuming this is a single ticket with a connection).

You will have to go through security after that, but I don't recall whether the PHL security checkpoint I went through was dedicated to international arrivals or not. It was pretty quick though.
For connecting traffic at PHL inbound from international, following the signs to the bag recheck and then security will drop you at the main A-East checkpoint, but during the afternoon international arrivals rush, there isn't usually a big locally originating crowd trying to use the same checkpoint. It is possible to go to other checkpoints (e.g., walk over to A-West or B) if you really want to, but most likely A-East will be the most efficient route to go.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
My advice to the OP is to be very efficient upon arrival in Philly (be ready to get off the plane and walk briskly). If you misconnect, there are still seats on the later flight to TPA (might be your best bet). Also, inquire about late connections through CLT to RSW/TPA/FLL if the nonstops are full.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Hey,

Thanks
One thing to keep in mind should the worst happen and you do miss the connection, you will likely be put on the next available flight in coach. I'm presuming if you are in J on the TATL leg you are in First on the domestic leg. The way US does its upgrades for its elite customers there aren't likely to be (m)any open seats in First.

So should you miss your connection and get rebooked and be in coach, you'll need to ask them when the next available seat is in First. You may or may not want to wait for that.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Just did this at PHL yesterday with a 2-hour connection time and checked bags, and got from the most remote gate in A East to the most remote set of gates in F (longest trip you can make at PHL) in an hour. This is not to say that you won't get delayed, just that it's possible to do it all fast, especially if you are in J. It is the airline that determines your minimum connection time, and if that's not adequate on a given day, you will be rebooked. When I've had to be rebooked mid-flight on J (weather), they worked hard to match my original J seats. Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.