Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worth getting to DM Platinum with Merger in 2015 ? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2014, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles
Worth getting to DM Platinum with Merger in 2015 ? (merged threads)

I will be a few thousand shy of Dividend Miles Platinum on Dec 31st.
I was going to do a mileage run but from everything I have read, Gold and Platinum Dividend Miles will be the same new level on AA next year,

Has anyone found any info that suggests existing Platinum will get any advantage over Gold when we all become AAdvantage Members ?

Many thanks

Newb.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold

Check out this link for info about the combining of the two programs:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/A...ryId=undefined
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:26 pm

CO777 is correct so unless I am missing something I am no longer interested in getting to DM Platinum and why should I be? I usually fly in Business or First anyway so what benefits would I get?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by Bootman4U
CO777 is correct so unless I am missing something I am no longer interested in getting to DM Platinum and why should I be? I usually fly in Business or First anyway so what benefits would I get?
If you usually fly in J or F then you are way ahead of us and I don't think status really matters all that much.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Dividend Miles
Originally Posted by CO777

Check out this link for info about the combining of the two programs:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/A...ryId=undefined
Many thanks

I have studied as much as I can and I was hoping someone had unearthed some nugget of information that told me there was any advantage at all to the 50% more miles I fly on average than the Gold DD Members.

I will keep digging but I am drawing the conclusion I am out of luck so a mileage run would be an an expensive waste of time unless I got some tasty upgrades in the narrow window in 2015 before the full merger.

Newb
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Between 1 and 4 months of US PLT instead of GLD, to use on both airlines, is all I can come up with.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
I recall a change before that you can only buy up one level on usdm. Would it be possible to make plat and then buy up to cp in order to get exp next year?

I'm in a similar situation as well. Gonna b close to 75 this cy
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
I recall a change before that you can only buy up one level on usdm. Would it be possible to make plat and then buy up to cp in order to get exp next year?

I'm in a similar situation as well. Gonna b close to 75 this cy
Ain't going to happen. AA doesn't do buy-up to EXP.

I am looking to be around 2k miles short so it should be fairly easy to do the MR or just drive to CAE instead.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 7:45 am
Formerly known as jlars77

Originally Posted by iztok
Ain't going to happen. AA doesn't do buy-up to EXP.

I am looking to be around 2k miles short so it should be fairly easy to do the MR or just drive to CAE instead.
AA has historically offered a buy-up to EXP to those within 5k and will likely do it again (website says coming soon). US took down their buy-up option but kept the link and will likely roll something out...the question is whether or not they will offer a full 25k to buy up to the next level.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: IHG Plat,*A Gold, US CP
historically speaking how much was it to purchase 1000 miles?
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:18 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If you were within 5000 PQMs of Platinum, it cost $699. If you were within 5000 miles from EXP, it cost $1199.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/amer...ions-now-live/
Old Nov 10, 2014, 6:58 pm

Programs: IHG Plat,*A Gold, US CP
Originally Posted by PHL
If you were within 5000 PQMs of Platinum, it cost $699. If you were within 5000 miles from EXP, it cost $1199.

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/01/amer...ions-now-live/

yea only needing 4k miles for CP but costing $1200 doesn't make sense. worse comes to worse ill do a MR
Old Nov 11, 2014, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Will it even be four months of Plat? The new year for US essentially begins on March 1. US hasn't even announced if they will offer Plat status in what is effectively a "gap period" of unknown length.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:37 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Will it even be four months of Plat? The new year for US essentially begins on March 1. US hasn't even announced if they will offer Plat status in what is effectively a "gap period" of unknown length.
It wouldn't be just 4 months. If AA announces a new buy up program for their current AAdvantage members, it will likely be granted through Feb 2016.

US/AA announced how the programs will integrate during Q2 - which is to say that US members coming into the program as either DM Gold or DM Plat will all be AA Plat through Feb 2016.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 12:38 pm

I'm at 90 USAir segments with 6 more booked. So it looks like I'll need 4 USAir segments to hit 100 by the end of 2014. Based on the AA website, the EXP threshold is going to be 100 which would cost me $1,199 since I have 0 AA segments.

Has anyone heard if the USAir Buy-up program will be available before the end of the year (or is there a date they will announce if it will/won't be available)? It will be interesting to see if that program will be offered. If so (and it remains like it was in the past) 4 segments could be purchased at a reasonable price regardless of which threshold it pushed you up to.

I'm not going to spend $1199 as I can get a 4 segment flight for 1/3 of that price but I'm curious to see a USAir offer to purchase segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.