Wiki Posts
Search

Spouse JUST missing silver

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Spouse JUST missing silver

Here's the story: my wife, having no status, has traveled with me for much of my travels this year. Looking at her total miles, it looks like she will end the year with 23,700 miles, 1300 shy of being silver. I did not fly enough to keep CP, or even get the silver special dividend to get her SP.

With the hiatus in the Buy Up program, do you guys have any ideas for how she could get 1300 preferred qualifying miles between now and 12/31? Is a mileage run the only way?

(It is 12/31, right? And not 2/28?)

TIA

BTW this is basically the difference between getting 500-minimum miles and not. All those times connecting in PHL (110 miles) or CLT (330 miles) would have sent her over the top had she gotten the minimum 500 miles.

Last edited by dml105; Nov 3, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by dml105
BTW this is basically the difference between getting 500-minimum miles and not. All those times connecting in PHL (110 miles) or CLT (330 miles) would have sent her over the top had she gotten the minimum 500 miles.
Had you signed her up for a trial before all this travel, she would have gotten the 500 mile minimum per segment. But not much you can do about it now.

Other than the credit card, the only other way I know to get preferred miles is to fly. Occasionally, US has given preferred miles for a club membership, but I don't think they're doing one now.
There are several US and AA mileage run options over in the Mileage Run forum.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 9:02 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
1300 miles is easy to get in a mileage run. Make a weekend of it somewhere for the two of you between now and 12/31.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I didn't do the trial preferred thing for her because I thought she would be just over 25k. (Maf is hard.)

But actually, it's a great idea to do now. We have 3 trips already planned for the next three months. It's not 7500 miles, but it is 10 segments. Thanks for the great idea!

In fact, a lightbulb just went off - if she does the trial preferred, and thus gets the 500 mile minimum the rest of the year, she will have over 25k preferred miles for the year. Would that get her silver for 2015 (or AA Gold I guess) before we even get to our January plans?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:53 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by dml105
if she does the trial preferred, and thus gets the 500 mile minimum the rest of the year, she will have over 25k preferred miles for the year. Would that get her silver for 2015 (or AA Gold I guess) before we even get to our January plans?
Yes, it will get her US DM Silver within days of the 25,000th preferred mile posting and be valid for the remainder of the DM program (2/28/15), after which she will migrate to AA and be Gold in the 2015 AA program through 2/29/16.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.