Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help - Daughter stuck in Charlotte with US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Help - Daughter stuck in Charlotte with US Airways

Hi - can anyone give any thoughts advice on what USAir is likely to do in this situation?

My daughter missed her London flight yesterday because of high winds in Charlotte delaying landing. She has had to have an overnight in Charlotte and looking like another one tonight.

from members' experience will US Airways contribute/pay for the hotel?

Also they can't get her onto a flight to London until tomorrow night

Any ideas?

any help or advice will be gratefully received
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat
The can help with a better rate for a hotel.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Because it is weather related, the only responsibility of the airline is a seat on the next available flight (whenever the next flight with availability is).

Some others on here have more experiences with international flights & EU regulations--not sure if they'd apply in this case.

If she has the option to standby for a flight earlier than the one she's confirmed on, tell her to go to the gate & wait--you never know when someone might not show.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:48 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Sorry to say that for weather delays they usually fulfill their obligation to the passenger merely by re-booking on another flight. Also, they might offer to refund the price of the ticket as an alternative. However, it always is worth asking for food vouchers or a hotel, or a for a booking on another airline--though seats on another airline will be scare after weather delays.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

To avoid a second night's hotel stay, ask US if they can re-route her today on AA or BA, via places like RDU, ATL, MIA, TPA, MCO, IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, BOS, ORD.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Help Daughter stuck in Charlotte

Thanks for responses.

Daughter has now had hotel refuse to accept the US Airways voucher for reduced rate

I have read in some posts that some customers get meal vouchers as well?

does anyone have any experience of this?

any thoughts gratefully accepted
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:58 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by AngLangS
Thanks for responses.
Daughter has now had hotel refuse to accept the US Airways voucher for reduced rate
Did she call the number on the slip they gave her to get a reservation for the reduced rate first? The stranded traveler discount is through a third party provider and not with the hotels.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Michael El
Did she call the number on the slip they gave her to get a reservation for the reduced rate first? The stranded traveler discount is through a third party provider and not with the hotels.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:02 am
Original Poster

thanks for the tip - will pass that on
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by AngLangS
...Also they can't get her onto a flight to London until tomorrow night

Any ideas?
While seat availability may change by the minute, see if US would re-book your daughter on US716 (CLT-PHL) lv 2:45pm (yes, time is short as it's about 1:15pm as I type)), continue US716 PHL-MUC (Munich) arr 7:30am tomorrow and onwards on US7387 (codeshare on BA) MUC-LHR, lv 10:35am, arr 11:40am. Expert Flyer shows available seats ...
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Taking the two issues:

1. As you are at home and clearly have Internet access, do some research on alternatives for your daughter in the following order:

A. On US, check CLT-ELSEWHERE IN EUROPE-LON AND CLT-PHL-LON
B. Expand to include AA (which should show on the US website, e.g. CLT-RDU-LON; CLT-NYC-LON; CLT-MIA-LON)
C. Expand to include other One World such as BA. BA serves at least IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, BOS, MIA, TPA and MCO (consider US/AA flights to DCA and LGA as well)
D. Expand to other carriers, but unlikely US will rebook on them.

Provide the specifics to your daughter, to include exact routing and flight numbers. Consider doing a 3-way call with US and asking for the above).

2. No hotels or food for anything outside the carrier's control and weather is outside US' control. The flyer US gave your daughter is not a coupon. It is simply a flyer with a phone #. She needs to follow the directions on the flyer. It's just a third-party booking service which has access to inventory that hotels can't sell themselves.

Lastly, bear in mind that your daughter may cancel for a full refund to the original form of payment. It's unlikely, but there is the chance that you can purchase a new ticket for close to (perhaps the same or less?) what she has paid. Note that if she cancels, it is important that she point out that her flight to CLT was a "trip in vain" and that she is due a refund of the entire ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just a quick search on AA shows multiple options CLT-IAD-LHR. Some involve an F seat on the micro-hop up to IAD, but that ought to be bookable on OP's daughter's ticket in IRROPS.

OP - Have your daughter call US (or conference her in) ASAP.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I know this doesn't help the OP right now, but for those who may be reading this thread because "oh no, what if that happened to me," I offer this piece of advice:

Part of going on a trip where the connection is critical is knowing in advance what to ask for if the connection is missed for some reason. Somebody flying a connection to a once-day flight should have a list of five different alternatives stretching out over 24 hours on a piece of paper in their carry-on bag.

Annoying lesson to learn, for sure, but hopefully your daughter will have learned it while she still has many more years of enjoyable flying to come.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Taking the two issues:

1. As you are at home and clearly have Internet access, do some research on alternatives for your daughter in the following order:

A. On US, check CLT-ELSEWHERE IN EUROPE-LON AND CLT-PHL-LON
B. Expand to include AA (which should show on the US website, e.g. CLT-RDU-LON; CLT-NYC-LON; CLT-MIA-LON)
C. Expand to include other One World such as BA. BA serves at least IAD, BWI, PHL, EWR, JFK, BOS, MIA, TPA and MCO (consider US/AA flights to DCA and LGA as well)
D. Expand to other carriers, but unlikely US will rebook on them.

Provide the specifics to your daughter, to include exact routing and flight numbers. Consider doing a 3-way call with US and asking for the above).

2. No hotels or food for anything outside the carrier's control and weather is outside US' control. The flyer US gave your daughter is not a coupon. It is simply a flyer with a phone #. She needs to follow the directions on the flyer. It's just a third-party booking service which has access to inventory that hotels can't sell themselves.

Lastly, bear in mind that your daughter may cancel for a full refund to the original form of payment. It's unlikely, but there is the chance that you can purchase a new ticket for close to (perhaps the same or less?) what she has paid. Note that if she cancels, it is important that she point out that her flight to CLT was a "trip in vain" and that she is due a refund of the entire ticket.
Old Nov 1, 2014, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

thanks Often1

I think I am doing something wrong - when you say "expand to include AA" etc - where can I expand? the site I am using is "http://shopping.usairways.com/Flights/AdvancedSearch.aspx?book=new" am I in the wrong place?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.