Wiki Posts
Search

truly silly US (and I imagine other airlines) rules

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
truly silly US (and I imagine other airlines) rules

I sort of knew what my answer would be, but called us air anyway--I have a RT flight booked to gainesville, which cost me all of $106 each way--I want to change one leg of the flight, which only cose me $106, but it will cost me $200 to change--if i dont take the outbound, the return leg is cancelled. I know they have a $200 change fee. but seriously?? So im just going to take the loss, dont really have a choice if i need to change.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Yep, thats how it works on every carrier that has a change fee.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I believe JetBlue has a tier change fee based on the price of the ticket.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by CDKing
Yep, thats how it works on every carrier that has a change fee.
That's not fully correct. Southwest (WN) does not, however, yes, pretty much every major carrier does.

Sorry OP, such is life.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's not just the $200, but if you make a change, you will need to pay $200 + the fare difference. Or, if you abandon the first ticket, you will purchase your new ticket at the best price available on that day.

Just a reminder, if you simply abandon the outbound leg, the ongoing or return legs will auto-cancel.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:47 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
The airlines are basically telling us that if we want the cheap fare, then we have to lock it in and accept it. Trying to rebook is basically going back and saying "I changed my mind", which is your right. But they are within their right to re-price the ticket and charge you a fee.

When the change fees were rolled out 10 or so years ago (or more?), they were $25. Obviously, people took full advantage of this to buy low fares knowing that they could later change for the low fee and any fare difference, which may be none if it was still far enough out. Airlines got wise and figured out how to make some money, which was badly needed back then post 9/11. The fees are here to stay, unfortunately....

Last edited by PHL; Sep 23, 2014 at 1:57 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
At least that makes more sense than the airlines where a one way ticket costs $1,000 but a roundtrip with a Saturday night stay and a return that you don't use costs $500.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:37 pm

Programs: free agent
It also used to be the case that roundtrips were far cheaper than two one-ways.
For the most part, this is no longer true.
I always buy one-ways now, giving me the flexibility to dump one or other of the flights if I need to, and not affect the other.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by nlkm9
I sort of knew what my answer would be, but called us air anyway--I have a RT flight booked to gainesville, which cost me all of $106 each way--I want to change one leg of the flight, which only cose me $106, but it will cost me $200 to change--if i dont take the outbound, the return leg is cancelled. I know they have a $200 change fee. but seriously?? So im just going to take the loss, dont really have a choice if i need to change.
So what's the point? Just cancel and book a new ticket.

The only way you can get a cheapo fare in the first place is by having it be difficult to change (that way they can force people who need flexibility to pay more, effectively subsidizing you).
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:28 pm

In other breaking news a loud bang has been heard and it is reported that planets may be forming
Old Sep 23, 2014, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Lol ok I get it
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:06 am

Programs: US Gold, DL, AA, UA
Having flown out of GNV for years (Go Gators), making a mistake on the date will cost you. .At the very least the $200, but look at JAX or MCO if it is obnoxious
Old Sep 24, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
It also used to be the case that roundtrips were far cheaper than two one-ways.
For the most part, this is no longer true.
I always buy one-ways now, giving me the flexibility to dump one or other of the flights if I need to, and not affect the other.
The downside of that obviously being that if you want to change the whole trip you're out $400 instead of $200, but everyone's trips are different so if it works for you.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 9:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AlphaTango
This is what I do as well. Anytime the price is the same for the two one-ways, which for me has been most of the time of late.

It's striking how many times that has saved me. Twice when after I bought a new return my meeting schedule changed yet again and the original ticket was ideal -- upgraded to F even.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
This is what I do as well. Anytime the price is the same for the two one-ways, which for me has been most of the time of late.

It's striking how many times that has saved me. Twice when after I bought a new return my meeting schedule changed yet again and the original ticket was ideal -- upgraded to F even.

its such a great idea, thanks.......

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.