Search

Buy up to Preferred 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by middlekingdom
US air website still says "Please check back for new offer details"

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html

I would hope they would do something as offering something to one side of the aisle and not the other does not sound very fair, but who knows
Nothing they have done so far has been kind or 'fair' for this side of the aisle... so, I am not expecting too much. I've been spending my time trying to reconcile myself to pretty much flying in the back of the plane from now on.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
If there is no "buy up", any word on how long existing status will carry into next year? February as normal or IIRC was it extended? Soft landing?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 9:56 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Buy up to Preferred 2015

Status is through February. You can buy up through AA through June so after it combines you can buy up.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Status is through February. You can buy up through AA through June so after it combines you can buy up.
I'm currently Gold through 2/2015. I won't have enough miles/segments for Silver next year. Since the merger of Dividend Miles and AAdvantage won't happen until 3/1/2015, will I be able to buy-up or renew Gold status in March 2015?
Old Nov 16, 2014, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Before you all go cry in a corner, there is hope. From
http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....iles-tomorrow/ there is this:

The US Airways Dividend Miles version of the offer may take a couple of weeks to go online, but will be similar.
So for those who won't be able to do enough mileage/segment running there is at least still hope.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
This will not help me since I will be slightly over 75,000 PQM's. Looks like I will get burned for qualifying as low Platinum. I should have stopped at 50,000 PQM's and tried for lower tier status on United or Delta.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
So what will they do if you're falling to a lower tier?

Example: I'm a CP this year, but my travel was cut this year. I'm looking at making GP (or AA plat) if I can do a MR in the next month or so Could I just buy up to gold/plat for next year?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by Superguy
So what will they do if you're falling to a lower tier?

Example: I'm a CP this year, but my travel was cut this year. I'm looking at making GP (or AA plat) if I can do a MR in the next month or so Could I just buy up to gold/plat for next year?
Look at the AA chart. If you are within a range of the next tier, you can buy up at that cost.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Look at the AA chart. If you are within a range of the next tier, you can buy up at that cost.
Right, I get that, but it's a bit problematic on US. Historically, you couldn't "buy up" until you fell to the lower level first. So you couldn't "buy down" to the GP from CP until you fell to SP first.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:11 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by Superguy
Right, I get that, but it's a bit problematic on US. Historically, you couldn't "buy up" until you fell to the lower level first. So you couldn't "buy down" to the GP from CP until you fell to SP first.
The AA plan allows buy until next June or July so that everyone can see what the impact of merging accounts will have on your status. We haven't seen the US plan for buy up so hopefully it will also align to accommodate the merging of accounts.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:49 am

Programs: US Chair | SPG Life/Plat | Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by phlwookie
The US Airways Dividend Miles version of the offer may take a couple of weeks to go online, but will be similar.
Let's just hope they recognize the additional segments currently required on the US side (US 120 vs AA 100). As it stands with the new AA buy-up, a member with 85 segments could use the max buy-up of 15 segments to retain EXP status. If 15 is the max segment buy-up on US side, it would do nothing to help a member with the same 85 segments. At this point, so close to the merger, ALL new policies should treat activity from travelers from both sides as equal. Fingers crossed.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Spoke to an Elite desk rep the other day who informed me that US won't be offering a "Buy Up to Preferred" for 2015 and if you don't have the miles by 12/31/2014, you won't have Elite status in 2015. I find that hard to believe since they are currently offering it over on the AA side. However, it does anger me that they rolled out the buy-up, boost, renewal, or what ever you want to call it, at AA but they keep their US Elite's hanging. If you are one company, you should roll-out to everyone at one time. Another poor management decision!

Another thing that angers me is the fact that US is now with OW and codesharing with BA; however, you can't book CLT to ORY, using Open Skies, and you can't book BA, World Traveler Plus, on even the BA website. I take that back, you can book Open Skies via US site but more than double the price . . . If you try to book BA from CLT so you can purchase Premium Economy, all flights are on US or AA on the transatlantic flight; therefore, no Premium Economy. Another poor management decision.

Well, these events have helped me make up my mind. So long to the "new" AA. I've decided not to do the "buy-up" if offered since we are being kept hanging, and I'll be canceling the $450 per year AA Executive card. Now I won't have to be upset about another poor AA management decision . . . I won't have to sit in AA's 3-3-3 and 3-4-3 configuration. The majority of the reviews reveal a horrible experience.

Delta/AF/KLM and Virgin Atlantic are looking very good and will be getting my business going foreard! Good luck AA.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: WFBF
If you think phone agents have any idea what's planned or can give you the kind of confirmation you need to make expensive decisions, you need to think again. The number of "a phone agent told me..." posts that have turned out to have no relation to what actually happened is simply staggering.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Still nothing on the website about Buy Up (still says to check back later), but they now show Chairman's only needing 100,000 miles or 100 segments for 2014 (2015 qualifying) for just this year. There is another post on this with a link to the website.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:48 pm
Formerly known as jlars77

Originally Posted by Hokie Gator Flyer
Still nothing on the website about Buy Up (still says to check back later), but they now show Chairman's only needing 100,000 miles or 100 segments for 2014 (2015 qualifying) for just this year. There is another post on this with a link to the website.
Wait for it....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.