Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to Preferred 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by pkr529
I called the CP desk to ask about some upcoming trips. I also asked the agent what she has heard about the new program. She said she heard they would be unveiling it in February but really did not know any details. I am sure that does not bode well for elites. Why wait so long?
Probably because that's when status expires for those that didn't qualify for a higher level. In other words, if you're current a CP but only qualify for GP next year, you'll still be a CP until the end of Februrary, and then gold for the rest of the year (or you qualify for higher).

There is one beneficial thing I saw on the US Airways website (go to About Dividend Miles and then to How to Qualify for Preferred Status), it states "[w]hen you fly one million miles with US, we'll upgrade you to Silver Preferred for as long as you remain an active Dividend Miles member." Looks like this is in line with American.
That's been there for quite awhile. You have to have some sort of activity in your DM account every 18 months or it goes inactive.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I was looking at the US Airways website and saw the following:

"As part of our merger with American Airlines, we’re updating our Buy up to Preferred program.

Please check back soon for new offer details."

So this might not be dead for 2015 after all.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
Originally Posted by pkr529
I was looking at the US Airways website and saw the following:

"As part of our merger with American Airlines, we’re updating our Buy up to Preferred program.

Please check back soon for new offer details."

So this might not be dead for 2015 after all.
That statement was on the US site for a couple of days, then removed for about a week, now back. Hopefully it will stick around!

I noticed that a purchases first class ticket has an accrual rate of 150%. The air miles from CLT to SFO are 2,240. A first class purchased ticket would be 3,360. My question is . . . Does the entire amount of 3,360 count towards Preferred status, or just 2,240 and the 1,120 as a bonus?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:30 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by CLTRob
A first class purchased ticket would be 3,360. My question is . . . Does the entire amount of 3,360 count towards Preferred status, or just 2,240 and the 1,120 as a bonus?
Just the 2,240, based on my experience. I had a recent FC ticket booked in F. The bonus miles (which showed up as "Gold" bonus miles, not "F" bonus miles) were not Preferred.

Others may have had different experiences though.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:42 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Just the 2,240, based on my experience. I had a recent FC ticket booked in F. The bonus miles (which showed up as "Gold" bonus miles, not "F" bonus miles) were not Preferred.

Others may have had different experiences though.
If you purchase a First Class ticket (class A, F, P) you earn 150% preferred miles.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
...My question is . . . Does the entire amount of 3,360 count towards Preferred status, or just 2,240 and the 1,120 as a bonus?
You'd get both 3,360 PQMs and 1,120 non-PQMs (50% Gold bonus).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I've also gotten 150% on all F booked tickets.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:41 am

Programs: US Airways, American Airlines, United
I have gotten 1.5 time the miles flown as preferred if you have paid for first class. This is so even if you bought first class on American and use your US Airways number.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:43 pm

Programs: WFBF
That statement was on the US site for a couple of days, then removed for about a week, now back. Hopefully it will stick around!

I noticed that a purchases first class ticket has an accrual rate of 150%. The air miles from CLT to SFO are 2,240. A first class purchased ticket would be 3,360. My question is . . . Does the entire amount of 3,360 count towards Preferred status, or just 2,240 and the 1,120 as a bonus?
Paid F gets you:
  • Mileage of the flight, as PQM (or the segment minimum of 500 PQM if the segment is shorter than that), plus
  • Bonus RDM according to your status (25%/50%/75%/100% of flight mileage, depending on Silver/Gold/Platinum/Chairman status), plus
  • Additional PQM equal to 50% of the flight mileage.

So, for example, I did MCI-PHX-HNL in paid F last week. I'm currently CP. So that's:
  • 1,043 (MCI-PHX) + 2,918 (PHX-HNL) = 3,961 PQM flight mileage, plus
  • 1,043 + 2,918 = 3,961 bonus RDM for Chairman, plus
  • 521 (MCI-PHX) + 1,459 (PHX-HNL) = 1,980 bonus PQM for paid F.

Total is 5,941 PQM plus 3,961 RDM.

These will show up on your account statement as follows:
  • The base mileage will list the route, flight number, booking class and your name (for example, the PHX-HNL segment is "PHX HNL 0692 A LASTNAME/FIRSTNAME" on my statement).
  • The bonus RDM for status will show as "FLIGHT BONUS - (status level)".
  • The bonus PQM for paid F will list the route and flight number followed by "CB" (for "Class of service Bonus"). So, for example, "PHX HNL 0692 CB".
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
I'm 10k short of CP renewal right now. I have 5 more trips planned through the end of the year, plus an international award trip. Overall I'll end up 3k short and I really don't want to do a MR, so I hope they come up with something.

If they don't, can I book my tickets on US in coach as per corp policy and then call in to pay to upgrade to an F fare without paying the change fee?

If I could do that then I could make it given the 150% bonus. Otherwise I think I'll have to waste a Saturday
Old Oct 20, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I decided to play it safe and do a series of MRs. It will probably turn out to be cheaper than buying up anyway if that is even an option anymore..
Old Oct 21, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by omegadeal
I'm 10k short of CP renewal right now. I have 5 more trips planned through the end of the year, plus an international award trip. Overall I'll end up 3k short and I really don't want to do a MR, so I hope they come up with something.

If they don't, can I book my tickets on US in coach as per corp policy and then call in to pay to upgrade to an F fare without paying the change fee?

If I could do that then I could make it given the 150% bonus. Otherwise I think I'll have to waste a Saturday
No but if you call your agency, they should be able to take 2 credit cards. Your corp card for the allowable coach fare and your personal for the difference.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by la2clt
No but if you call your agency, they should be able to take 2 credit cards. Your corp card for the allowable coach fare and your personal for the difference.
Or upfare within 24 hours of ticketing and there won't be a change fee.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by Superguy
Or upfare within 24 hours of ticketing and there won't be a change fee.
I have been told no, when the ticket is booked via a TA. Must deal with the TA for 24hr changes. I haven't tried it again, and it wasn't worth calling Amex on that particular trip.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ellinj
I have been told no, when the ticket is booked via a TA. Must deal with the TA for 24hr changes. I haven't tried it again, and it wasn't worth calling Amex on that particular trip.
That sucks. Depending on your TA, you may get hit with another processing fee.

I've always bought my tickets direct from US, so I wasn't aware they dumped you to a TA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.