Wiki Posts
Search

Buy up to Preferred 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Cooper21
I guess what I don't get is that if you are going to continue to fly US metal next year, then Platinum still means Platinum for nearly all of the year, or until the merge. You'll get stickers for the >500 mi AA flights. My point is that plat still has a lot of value.
Where are you getting that?

My understanding is that we'll all be lumped into our respective places in AA's tiers. However, upgrades will still function much as they do now on US metal until late next year.

I think the only priority a DM plat would receive is based on US tiebreakers with total BIS mile calculation. In theory, a 75k flyer would be upgraded before a 55k flyer. Other than that, though, I fail to see what other benefits will be kept for existing DM plats.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MattNeedsMiles
I just happen to be sitting at 74,407 miles with no plan to travel in the next 20 days. Are you saying there is actually a reason for me to go do a quick mileage run?
Upon further review, I don't think that's true.

Here's what they've said:

On March 1, 2015, your elite status will be determined based on your elite-qualifying activity in each program individually.

There will still be four levels for Dividend Miles Preferred members until programs combine in second quarter of 2015.
And then:
In the second quarter of 2015, we'll integrate our Dividend Miles program into the AAdvantage program with three elite levels.

Dividend Miles accounts will be transitioned to the AAdvantage program

Your mileage balance, elite-qualifying activity and million mile balance will be moved into a new AAdvantage account or merged into your existing AAdvantage account

New elite upgrade benefits start on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines and US Airways

Redeem miles to upgrade and use systemwide upgrades on flights marketed and operated by American and US Airways
But here, they say:
For much of 2015, we'll operate as two separate airlines with two reservation systems and two websites.

Some benefits, like elite upgrades, will vary by airline until we combine reservation systems at the end of 2015
So, I now read these statements to mean that there will be no Platinum level as of some point in Q2 (April, May or June), when DM rolls into AA. But you will have Platinum upgrade status and priority until that time, should you earn it.

But upgrade processes of the two airlines will vary until the reservations systems are combined.

A question is what exactly that will mean on the US side. Upgrade priority within a tier has historically been prior year elite miles in the first part of the year; then YTD elite miles for the rest of the year. But I've never seen that publicly stated by the airline, nor heard when the break-point is.

But it seems clear that, upon combining the programs and until the reservations systems are merged, best case, you might get upgrade priority on US flights based upon your 74K EQMs over another AA Platinum with 51K -- but that there is no real incentive to strive for 75K, as Platinum won't be recognized come the FF program consolidation in Q2.

However, as I mentioned, Q2 is April, May or June. Their target date could also slip -- this is a big integration. Until that FF program consolidation date, Platinum status on US-operated flights will still mean what it does today. That could be worth a quick run to hit the 75K.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 8:57 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond, UA Silver
I just happen to be sitting at 74,407 miles with no plan to travel in the next 20 days. Are you saying there is actually a reason for me to go do a quick mileage run?
In your situation, you would be dropping from CP to Gold (and later to AAPlat) correct? Achieving DM Platinum would entitle you to every incremental benefit vs. Gold up until they merge accounts in Q2 (I heard June). You'll have a few months of extra bonus miles, upgrade window, upgrade priority, etc. For you, that fact IMO makes a short MR of $100 seem worth it. Plus, they may throw US Plats who feel screwed some sort of extra bennie, or at least I hope.

For many people, upgrade prioritzation is a major issue. Until the merger (maybe all year) upgrade prioritization on US Airways-operated flights will continue to be based on elite status and elite qualifying activity. You as a 74k Plat will have higher upgrade priority vs. a 50k plat just as you do today. The extra MR won't help much here, but many people say they wish they had stopped at 50k, which seems odd.

I know if I were in your situation, I would seriously look at MRs to get to CP. For $1000-$1200, the marginal benefits you'll get as EP seem so well worth it. If you have the time and $$, you'll pick up the miles, more stickers, Special Dividends, and enjoy EP all next year.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 9:47 am

Programs: US CP | MR PL | HH Diamond | Hertz PC
25k MR for $1200? Sign me up!

Originally Posted by Cooper21
In your situation, you would be dropping from CP to Gold (and later to AAPlat) correct? Achieving DM Platinum would entitle you to every incremental benefit vs. Gold up until they merge accounts in Q2 (I heard June). You'll have a few months of extra bonus miles, upgrade window, upgrade priority, etc. For you, that fact IMO makes a short MR of $100 seem worth it. Plus, they may throw US Plats who feel screwed some sort of extra bennie, or at least I hope.

For many people, upgrade prioritzation is a major issue. Until the merger (maybe all year) upgrade prioritization on US Airways-operated flights will continue to be based on elite status and elite qualifying activity. You as a 74k Plat will have higher upgrade priority vs. a 50k plat just as you do today. The extra MR won't help much here, but many people say they wish they had stopped at 50k, which seems odd.

I know if I were in your situation, I would seriously look at MRs to get to CP. For $1000-$1200, the marginal benefits you'll get as EP seem so well worth it. If you have the time and $$, you'll pick up the miles, more stickers, Special Dividends, and enjoy EP all next year.
Good point about the date perhaps slipping...

Also, I do value my CP status for reasons other than many on FT. I am constantly booking award reservations for family, sometimes last minute and sometimes making changes or even cancelling the flight. As CP, there aren't any costs for doing this. Everyone else is subject to quick-ticketing and redeposit fees. I will miss that.. in addition to the favorable upgrade chances.

I guess I thought 25k in mileage runs this late in the year at a reasonable cost would be unattainable, especially out of CLT. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World

A question is what exactly that will mean on the US side. Upgrade priority within a tier has historically been prior year elite miles in the first part of the year; then YTD elite miles for the rest of the year. But I've never seen that publicly stated by the airline, nor heard when the break-point is.
According to this page:
https://www.usairways.com/en-US/divi.../upgrades.html

If you book a discount fare (any fare other than Y or B class), we prioritize your upgrade by Preferred level, and within each Preferred level, by the number of Preferred-qualifying miles you've flown on US Airways and US Airways Express operated flights in the last 12 months. We begin processing upgrades for all discount fares at either 7, 4, 3 or 2 days before departure, depending on Preferred level
It has been this way for several years now.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I guess I thought 25k in mileage runs this late in the year at a reasonable cost would be unattainable, especially out of CLT. Am I missing something?
Have you looked at the Mileage Run forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

There's several out there for AA and US, especially if you want to go to Asia.
Old Dec 11, 2014, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k
I was surprised to see that I could "boost" my miles to keep my Silver Status through 2015 for $499. I needed 9000 miles to reach 25k, so this was far easier (and cheaper) than a last minute mileage run.

Plus, after the merger, I will have the equivalent AA status.

I wish I could do the same on United where I need 6000 miles to keep Gold but it would cost $1600 for those miles with PQM Accelerator purchase.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:29 am

Good point about the date perhaps slipping...

Also, I do value my CP status for reasons other than many on FT. I am constantly booking award reservations for family, sometimes last minute and sometimes making changes or even cancelling the flight. As CP, there aren't any costs for doing this. Everyone else is subject to quick-ticketing and redeposit fees. I will miss that.. in addition to the favorable upgrade chances.

Depends on what you consider reasonable cost? It will cost you about $4000 at this stage and to me that might not be worth it, your mileage may vary (pun intended -).

Also you have to actually do only 11K in mileage runs and you get to 85K and then you can buy up to CP (that will be an additional $2499).

To get 25 K miles you have to take a OW partner trans-ocean (South Africa, Australia, India???) and that may get you about 18K to 20K miles, and then another shorter MR or buy up from 90K. Alternate is 11K (Hawaii?? plus shorter trip) plus $2499. Not great alternatives and difficult to get good tickets at this time.

Last edited by middlekingdom; Dec 13, 2014 at 11:42 am
Old Dec 13, 2014, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Have you looked at the Mileage Run forum?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/

There's several out there for AA and US, especially if you want to go to Asia.
Did not see to many for the next 18 days as he has to complete it before year end
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by middlekingdom
Did not see to many for the next 18 days as he has to complete it before year end
ANC is a good run. Seems to get a lot of FTers this time of year. I met two this weekend on a run.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by tommyleo
Buying GP for $1199 with no miles flown this year doesn't seem like a bad deal. Thoughts?
Not a bad deal, though for any US fliers considering the $1199 offers, it's worth considering an AA challenge instead, particularly if you live in one of the "corners" of the country.

An AA Plat challenge costs $200 and requires 10,000 EQP to be flown in 90 days. For dates in early March, you can get a US F ticket BOS-PHX-SEA for about $1400 which will earn you 10,221 EQP (6814 miles at 1.5 EQP per mile).

Although the total cost is $400 higher than the "boost," those EQP (and 6814 EQM) would also count towards normal qualification for next year. And there may well be cheaper fares (or combinations thereof) that would earn the required EQP.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: WFBF
I would be wary of trying a challenge; one never knows when AA will decide that existing US elites are ineligible.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by dtremit
Not a bad deal, though for any US fliers considering the $1199 offers, it's worth considering an AA challenge instead, particularly if you live in one of the "corners" of the country.

An AA Plat challenge costs $200 and requires 10,000 EQP to be flown in 90 days. For dates in early March, you can get a US F ticket BOS-PHX-SEA for about $1400 which will earn you 10,221 EQP (6814 miles at 1.5 EQP per mile).

Although the total cost is $400 higher than the "boost," those EQP (and 6814 EQM) would also count towards normal qualification for next year. And there may well be cheaper fares (or combinations thereof) that would earn the required EQP.
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
I would be wary of trying a challenge; one never knows when AA will decide that existing US elites are ineligible.

Actually I think that taking the challenge is a good idea as it makes the person a AA Plat instead of an US Gold for the very reason suggested by ubernostrum. As we have seen, US members seem to get the short end of the stick and becoming a AA plat for a little more than the cost of renewing a US Gold appears to me a better deal. There are however two issues. First, the downside is that you have to make a mileage run. Buying up means you don't and not everyone has the time or inclination to do a mileage run. Second, it makes sense only if the poster is going to be traveling more in 2015. He/She has not traveled in 2014 and if that goes on to 2015, then I would rather keep the money for now.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
True, though if they take away the challenges, you'd still be eligible for the buy up. The FAQ explicitly says that you'll be offered a new status buy-up opportunity after they combine the programs.

I don't expect this makes sense for anyone who isn't doing the full, $1199 buy up, though.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
another one of my concerns.
Im officially out of the race!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.