Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US and AA new meal selection order 1 Sep 2014 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2014, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
US transcon meal selection order

I have a few upcoming early morning transcons (specifically CLT-LAX, CLT-SFO, and PHL-SAN) and I'm wondering about the current wisdom on whether breakfast orders are taken front-to-back or back-to-front of the F cabin. These flights are mostly A321s and my understanding is that breakfast choices tend to be omelet and yogurt/oatmeal/something, with the former always running out. Is that still the case?

Anyway, I'd like to choose my seat with this in mind. I read some past threads that seemed to indicate westbound flights are back-to-front and eastbound flights are front-to-back, with a healthy dose of YMMV based on individual FA. However, those threads were all over 6 months old. Anyone with a more recent experience?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 30, 2015 at 8:41 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Aug 31, 2014, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
A few data points, possibly not indicative of whatever the actual rule is: All of my recent meal flights* (3x SFO - CLT, PHX - PHL, PHX - BWI, BWI - PHX, PHL - SFO, 3x CLT - SFO) have been front to back. Two have been breakfast flights, both eastbound, although I'm not sure the breakfast vs. non-breakfast distinction matters. All have been in the past 4 months. Of course, this is only N = 5 for each direction, and with all the other changes to meal service upcoming maybe this is irrelevant post-9/1, but take it for what you will...

*To avoid debate on whether or not BWI/PHL <-> PHX counts as a transcon.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Only recent experiences here are on PHL-PHX/SFO dinner flights and afternoon flights going east. Generally, back to front westbound, front to back east, but probably 2/3 of the total time it's been front to back regardless of direction, If you're in row 2 or 3, running out isn't too common. Rows 1 or 4 would obviously be riskier.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I definitely hope US will move to the AA preordering system soon!
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
OK, thanks for the tips and experiences! I'm in 4A tomorrow westbound (nothing available in 2 or 3 to change to), so here's hoping they go by "the rule"...
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mh4ll
OK, thanks for the tips and experiences! I'm in 4A tomorrow westbound (nothing available in 2 or 3 to change to), so here's hoping they go by "the rule"...
If it means so much (and I understand...I hate missing out on the eggs), I would just ask before takeoff or when you board. They will usually oblige.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 10:59 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
A few data points, possibly not indicative of whatever the actual rule is: All of my recent meal flights* (3x SFO - CLT, PHX - PHL, PHX - BWI, BWI - PHX, PHL - SFO, 3x CLT - SFO) have been front to back. Two have been breakfast flights, both eastbound, although I'm not sure the breakfast vs. non-breakfast distinction matters. All have been in the past 4 months. Of course, this is only N = 5 for each direction, and with all the other changes to meal service upcoming maybe this is irrelevant post-9/1, but take it for what you will...
What were flight numbers? Perhaps they adopted pmAA's FEBO policy? (front even, back odd)
Old Oct 15, 2014, 8:36 am

Any updates post 9/1 changes? Also, what would I expect for a CLT-PHX lunch flight? What are they serving these days and what type of desert is served and is there the arrival snack basket?

This flight is right on the cusp of the extended transcon service.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mileshound
Any updates post 9/1 changes? Also, what would I expect for a CLT-PHX lunch flight? What are they serving these days and what type of desert is served and is there the arrival snack basket?

This flight is right on the cusp of the extended transcon service.
AFAIK, PHX-CLT is not considered a transcon. But I could be wrong.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:49 pm

Programs: free agent
Was told by an FA on a transcon today that the "new rule" is South or East: front to back; North or West: back to front.

I had two flights today. PDX-PHX-PHL. First one, orders were taken back-to-front (despite traveling both south and east), Second was taken front-to-back.

So, consistently inconsistent as usual.

I asked the FA about FEBO - she'd never heard of it.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 30, 2015 at 8:42 am Reason: Restore post to original
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:39 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Meal Ordering/FEBO

Did a search but can find no current postings. Does US allow F passengers to pre-order like AA does? If not, does US follow AA's new policy for taking orders (westbound back to front, eastbound back to front, etc)?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
No general online pre-order (can request special dietary needs meals through reservations). Choice (order-direction) is supposed to mirror the policy you stated.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I believe FEBO is Front (even flight numbers) Back (odd flight numbers)
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
FEBO

Rarely followed in my experience.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I was on US709 (PHL-SFO) last Sunday and they started at the front, contrary to the policy of starting at the back for Westbound.

At least it helped me avoid the horrible Miso Chicken dish they were serving.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.