Wiki Posts
Search

Are meals on PHL-TLV all Kosher?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Are meals on PHL-TLV all Kosher?

Good morning y'all!

Next week, I am flying CLT-PHL-TLV, to visit Jewish family and friends who live in Israel. I am Jewish, so I only eat Kosher. I am wondering if I have to order a special Kosher meal for my flight (I have ordered Kosher meals on CLT-LHR-CLT flights before) or are the meals served onboard Kosher?

Also does anybody know if US Airways, serves snacks in between meals? And if anbody has any pictures of meals served on PHL-TLV flights, please share them, I am interested in seeing what i could be eating!

P.S. I am flying in coach!

Last edited by MrRobert9784; Aug 26, 2014 at 6:22 am
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:26 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
I doubt all the meals are Kosher. I've never flown the route, so I am not sure, but that's my instinct. I'd call 800-428-4322 to order the Kosher meal.

This is what US has listed on their website, but that is obviously just an idea of what you'll receive.

Tel Aviv to the U.S.
Dinner: Beef carbonade with fresh green salad and cucumbers, whole wheat roll and apple strudel

Breakfast: Mixed berry cheese blintzes with fresh fruit, white roll and yogurt
U.S. to Tel Aviv
Dinner: Orange chipotle chicken with fresh green salad, whole wheat roll and a classic brownie

Arrival meal: Cheese omelet with fresh garden salsa and fresh fruit
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:00 am

I have never worked PHL-TLV, but if I recall our OnBoard Service Handbook, there are a limited number of Kosher meals onboard for people who have forgotten to order a meal prior to the flight. So order a meal just in case.

I am pretty sure that we also serve an inflight snack pack. This is what the service will look like:

•After take-off
Dinner, two choices of entrees

•Two hours after take-off
Hydration service (Water, OJ, Other Beverages, Pretzels and MarketPlace)

•Half-way through the flight
Snack service (Beverages and Snack Packs)

•Seven hours after take-off
Hydration service (Water, OJ, Other Beverages, Pretzels and MarketPlace)

•Prior to landing
Breakfast, two choices pf entrees

You can also get beverages, pretzels and snacks throughout the flight from the rear galley.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
If you need special meal to appease your deity you better call US Airways and order KSML.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by MrRobert9784
Good morning y'all!

I am Jewish, so I only eat Kosher.
Not everyone who is Jewish eats Kosher. Not everyone who flies to TLV is Jewish. Not everyone who orders Kosher meals is Jewish.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:47 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
The food out of TLV is all kosher ingredients but they may be mixed making the meal not kosher.
If you eat kosher make a reservation for kosher food.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by Houminer
The food out of TLV is all kosher ingredients but they may be mixed making the meal not kosher.
If you eat kosher make a reservation for kosher food.
Often US airlines - and I assume US Airways is no different from the others - cater the return segment before departure from the US. Often the cost of fuel to fly the extra found compares favorably to increased cost of having local catering at each out-station.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Indelaware
Often US airlines - and I assume US Airways is no different from the others - cater the return segment before departure from the US. Often the cost of fuel to fly the extra found compares favorably to increased cost of having local catering at each out-station.
While it's certainly possible to double-cater, I'm reasonably certain that US do not double-cater the PHL-TLV flights. Nor any other long-haul TATL flights.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FWAAA
While it's certainly possible to double-cater, I'm reasonably certain that US do not double-cater the PHL-TLV flights. Nor any other long-haul TATL flights.
So what happens if their caterer at TLV (or another TATL destination) is on strike? I thought I heard about other airlines (including AA) double-catering on long-hauls when their caterer at the foreign end of their flight was on strike. Doesn't US do it too in that circumstance?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 9:07 pm

order the meal prior. I do not understand Kosher or the reason to keep Kosher in modern times but respect Jewish people. It is obvious the rules were created for health reasons prior to modern food production
Old Aug 28, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Not everyone who is Jewish eats Kosher. Not everyone who flies to TLV is Jewish. Not everyone who orders Kosher meals is Jewish.
Indeed. Someone I travel with frequently is severely lactose-intolerant, and has used the kosher-meal request in the past because it's more likely to actually be lactose-free than the vegetarian ones.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Indeed. Someone I travel with frequently is severely lactose-intolerant, and has used the kosher-meal request in the past because it's more likely to actually be lactose-free than the vegetarian ones.
While this is true, keep in mind airline's also have a meal that is labeled "Non-Lactose", which might be a better choice. There is a complete listing of special meals available at: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...cialmeals.html
Old Aug 28, 2014, 8:40 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
While this is true, keep in mind airline's also have a meal that is labeled "Non-Lactose", which might be a better choice. There is a complete listing of special meals available at: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...cialmeals.html
The other thing is that the kosher meal is usually better food than the specific medical ones
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ubernostrum
Does US actually have a lacto vegetarian meal? AA hasn't had one for years (despite it being orderable!).

Despite claims on AA's website that there are all these various meals (and them accepting orders for them by those various names), there aren't nearly as many.

THere is no actual vegetarian lacto meal on AA. They create one meal which is simultaneously:

• Vegan
  • Vegetarian
  • Low sodium

and a few others too. They simply use "lowest common denominator" ingredients (some sort of grain with some sort of legumes typically).

Does US make separately-designed meals for all of these varieties?

(I can't imagine Parker, after seeing how AA "consolidated" special meal menus to cut costs, would move to increase the diveristy of special meals, presumably at increased costs compared to what AA has been doing, after the merger.)
Old Aug 28, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Out of curiosity, what is in US's kosher meal these days?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.