Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate check in First -- problem with bin space or what?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by soccerpapi
...I truly hope these free upgrades come to an end soon and that US Airways begins to charge most elite members to upgrade to First Class...

soccer
NOOOOOO! This is the main reason that I covet CP status!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by apeortdz
NOOOOOO! This is the main reason that I covet CP status!
I think that the post in saying "most elite travelers" meant a system akin the AA's where top tier (EXP/CP) is comped free upgrades but non top tier pay something for upgrades.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by JMN57
I think that the post in saying "most elite travelers" meant a system akin the AA's where top tier (EXP/CP) is comped free upgrades but non top tier pay something for upgrades.
Yes, that is what I meant. Giving away most of the First Class cabin with free upgrades diminishes the product. I see the same problem with all the carriers that are doing this.

soccer

Last edited by soccerpapi; Aug 11, 2014 at 3:56 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
middle under seat

I am CP and am mostly always upgraded. When possible, I avoid rows 1 and 4 on an A321, row 1 because of the previously noted already-used bin space above row 1 and no underseat space in 1, and lack of full recline in row 4.

I normally travel with 1 small rollerbag carryon that fits under the seats. I try to board early to claim the underseat space between seats A and C or between D and F. My bag is thus handy, doesn't interfere with my feet, and frees up OH bin space for someone else.

In my experience, most US FAs don't prevent Y pax from using the FC bins. I have often seen FAs late in the boarding process place Y pax carryons in any unused FC bin space.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by soccerpapi
... I truly hope these free upgrades come to an end soon and that US Airways begins to charge most elite members to upgrade to First Class. This will hopefully bring back some civility to US Airways First Class cabins.

soccer
My experience is that FC pax on USAir are pretty much the same as FC pax on DL. I have no experience with FC on UA or other airlines. There are sometimes one or a few FC pax on both US and DL who are disheveled, poorly groomed or generally impolite or "DYKWIA entitled", and who, in general, don't obey FC Rule #1, which is "Act Like You Belong in FC". Flights in/out LAS are the worst on both airlines, especially DL on the various 757s, which have between 20-26 FC seats. My hope is that US CPs will continue to get free upgrades when the merged program is in-place.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I have often seen FAs late in the boarding process place Y pax carryons in any unused FC bin space.
If everyone in F has boarded then why not use the overhead bin space to store Y bags? The concern here is that OP didn't board on time and didn't have space. If there's space after all of F boards it should be free to anyone IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.