Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Time Flying US - Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2014, 11:05 am
Original Poster

First Time Flying US - Questions

My wife and I will be flying with our daughter for the first time next weekend and we have a few questions. We have both flown multiple times in the past, but almost always Southwest due to our proximity to BWI and fare costs. This will be our first time flying with our daughter, who is 15 months old and will be a lap child. I have reviewed the baggage policy on the USAir website and spoke with a rep when I booked the ticket, but I just want to make sure I'm clear on some things. Both departure and return flights will be on US Air Express (Republic and Wisconsin). I am also a Barclay's US Air cardholder.

1) With the Barclay's card, both my wife and I will each have 1 checked bag for free, 1 carry on, and 1 personal item. Stroller and car seat do not count as additional bags. So to confirm, we can each check 1 bag, each have 1 carry on bag, 1 personal item (purse, diaper bag), and also have the stroller and car seat checked at the gate?

2) What does first-class checkin (Barclay's card benefit) do for us, if anything since these are US Air express flights?

3) Same as above for Zone 2 boarding?

4) It looks like PVD does not have a lounge, so we'll use our certificate at the PHL lounge. Any issues with bringing a toddler in there?

5) Which terminal do the US Air Express flights typically gate at?

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Aug 2, 2014, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by skeemer
My wife and I will be flying with our daughter for the first time next weekend and we have a few questions. We have both flown multiple times in the past, but almost always Southwest due to our proximity to BWI and fare costs. This will be our first time flying with our daughter, who is 15 months old and will be a lap child. I have reviewed the baggage policy on the USAir website and spoke with a rep when I booked the ticket, but I just want to make sure I'm clear on some things. Both departure and return flights will be on US Air Express (Republic and Wisconsin). I am also a Barclay's US Air cardholder.

1) With the Barclay's card, both my wife and I will each have 1 checked bag for free, 1 carry on, and 1 personal item. Stroller and car seat do not count as additional bags. So to confirm, we can each check 1 bag, each have 1 carry on bag, 1 personal item (purse, diaper bag), and also have the stroller and car seat checked at the gate?

2) What does first-class checkin (Barclay's card benefit) do for us, if anything since these are US Air express flights?

3) Same as above for Zone 2 boarding?

4) It looks like PVD does not have a lounge, so we'll use our certificate at the PHL lounge. Any issues with bringing a toddler in there?

5) Which terminal do the US Air Express flights typically gate at?

Any other tips or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
1. Sounds like you have it correct.

2. You are allowed to check in at one of the counter locations labeled "First Class / Preferred". YMMV but I often find first class counter locations to take longer waiting for an agent than just using a normal kiosk.

3. There are 5 boarding zones. Zone 2 boarding would usually just about guarantee you'll have room for your carryons in the overhead. FYI, families with young children are typically boarded at the end of zone 2 anyway.

4. I don't think you'll have a problem bringing a toddler into the club, however if your daughter gets fussy you may want to take her out for a walk depending on how loud she is.

5. Air Wisconsin flights are all out of terminal F, Republic is out of B. There is a shuttle that runs from the start of the C concourse (Gate C16) to a central shuttle stop in the F terminal. Going from B to the C shuttle stop takes you right past the club in the B/C connector.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.