Wiki Posts
Search

Assigning Seats on US when ticketed by CX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2014, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Assigning Seats on US when ticketed by CX

Hi,

I am holding tickets for travel with family on AA for OAK-PHX-FLG (Actually a Codeshare operated by US Airways Express)

The ticket is part of an international itinerary issued by Cathay Pacific on CX Ticket Stock.

I checked the available seats on US Airways website and upon my request the CX agent has requested specific seats... Two days later also the seat numbers show "on request".... On checking on AA/US Airways website also these seats show "on request". While initiating a new flight search on US Airways, these seats show very much available, still.

I called up US Airways and they said that the seat allocations need to be handled by CX as the issuing carrier.

How would you suggest resolving this issue. Seat allocations are important because US Airways flies CRJ-900 and CRJ on these sectors with limited number of seats and we, as a family, dread being seated all over the aircraft...

Thank you very much!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by vikom
Hi,

I am holding tickets for travel with family on AA for OAK-PHX-FLG (Actually a Codeshare operated by US Airways Express)

The ticket is part of an international itinerary issued by Cathay Pacific on CX Ticket Stock.

I checked the available seats on US Airways website and upon my request the CX agent has requested specific seats... Two days later also the seat numbers show "on request".... On checking on AA/US Airways website also these seats show "on request". While initiating a new flight search on US Airways, these seats show very much available, still.

I called up US Airways and they said that the seat allocations need to be handled by CX as the issuing carrier.

How would you suggest resolving this issue. Seat allocations are important because US Airways flies CRJ-900 and CRJ on these sectors with limited number of seats and we, as a family, dread being seated all over the aircraft...

Thank you very much!
Since US Airways operates a segment of your flight, you will have a US Airways Record Locator Number. Any US Airways employee who has any competence in SHARES should be able to assign seats using the US Airways PNR #. I know this because i have done it plenty of times.

If you dont have a US Airways PNR, then call CX and tell them to give it to you. They will have to have it.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 8:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Since this issue applies to US Airways, I'll move this thread from the AA Consolidated forum to the US pre-merger forum. I'm also adjusting the thread title to be more descriptive.

Thanks.

/aztimm
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks, aztimm, for moving me to the correct forum...

Thanks Col Ronson, for your suggestions... This is actually a reissued ticket because of US SKED CHG... In the earlier itinerary, I was successful in getting seats allocated thru US Call Centre .. But this was only possible on third attempt.... The first agent talked about charging $25 pp for phone services, the second said that she was unable because booked on CX stock... The third did it..

Now, it looks I need to reattempt multiple times to reach the right agent and a competent one at that ...

I am scared an incompetent agent might mess up the booking in some manner ... A couple of years back, a ticket went into unticketed status with another airline call centre where some incompetent agent goofed up the booking in just trying to allocate seats ... with us reaching the airport with an unticketed status for an overbooked flight!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:44 am

Programs: US Chairman, M&M FTL
So do you have a US Airways Record Locator Number? If you do, had you tried to simply look for the trip on the site?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Yes I have US PNR Number. It opens the record, but does not allow seat allocation.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Yes I have US PNR Number. It opens the record, but does not allow seat allocation.
You might want to have another look at the USAirways web page for seat selection. I selected seats on a US-operated but 'other ticketed' journey today.

'Allocation' may be an unfamiliar word for a US (and U.S.) agent. 'Seat assignment' is more common. It's common for seat assignments to be made by the operating carrier, not the ticketing carrier.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks 3Cforme,

Tried again using US PNR on usairways.com ... Throws up error message...

"We are unable to display your reservation at this time. Please try again. If you continue to receive this message, please call 800-327-7810 for assistance"

Now on phone for 'seat assignments'... But yet to be put through to the operator ... 32 minutes already .. Automated response says wait shall be longer because of adverse weather at many airports....
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Finally the customer service agent came to life ... and yes she took just a moment to assign my seats ... either i was lucky to speak with the right agent or maybe the words "seat assignment" did the magic...

Realized that US Airways website does not show the reservation (maybe because it an AA codeshare) ... Updated seats do not show up as yet on either the AA/CX website ... I remember last time it took a couple of hours to show up on these websites... Should be fine though..

Thanks very much!
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:31 am

Programs: US CP, MR Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
The first agent talked about charging $25 pp for phone services, the second said that she was unable because booked on CX stock... The third did it..
Ah the power of HUACA knows no bounds...

Glad it worked out for OP.

I got burned once with the exact same agent picking up the phone when I tried HUACA, made for an awkward phone conversation...

Go Gators
Old Jul 3, 2014, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Something pretty strange happened... Realized that the agent was quoting seat numbers from a larger aircraft. I am flying CRJ-900... Called again.. and realized they had today allotted seats on the flight as per old itinerary, which was not in existence on my present itinerary as my tkt had been reissued .. when I pointed this out the agent she first resisted but then got the flight corrected through her supervisor ...

How can a wrong flight show up on their system some 2 days after reissuance and rebooking on another flight ?
Old Jul 4, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: DL PM, AS 100k, National EE, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
same prob here. got on US flight thru AA agent. no seat. can't check in on US air website. AA.com says ticketed
Old Jul 4, 2014, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

seem to have found the solution for web access also!

If you do not have US Airways PNR, open the itinerary using AA PNR on AA.com and click on My Trips > Select my seat option > Here you shall not be able to assign seats on US but you will get US PNR Numner.

Then open usairways.com (INTERNET EXPLORER only ! I had been trying Google chrome all this while and it was failing to open) > Click Your Trip and open the flight details using US PNR Number > Next screen opens > You should be all set for seat assignment!
Old Jul 4, 2014, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Then open usairways.com (INTERNET EXPLORER only ! I had been trying Google chrome all this while and it was failing to open) > Click Your Trip and open the flight details using US PNR Number > Next screen opens > You should be all set for seat assignment!
No, your problem wasn't necessarily a Chrome browser issue - that's what I used to select US-op/US-coded seats for several tickets now.

Happy to learn you have resolved the seat assignment problem for this specific itinerary in any event.

There may be a delay in ticketing from the issuing carrier, and a further delay before US recognizes it as ticketed. I had to wait a few hours.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 3:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks 3Cforme,

It still does not open on my chrome... looks like some issue related to settings on Chrome on my chrome...

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.