Search

Rome on US Airways

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Rome on US Airways

Hi All,

In Florence at the moment, and need to make a trip to DC in May. Hard to get redemption on OW from here without overnighting on the way somewhere and/or getting hit with massive charges for flying BA, so am considering a routing of FCO-CLT-DCA on US airways, flying in J.

Never flown US internationally, and haven't departed from FCO for the US in more than 10 years now. Have a few questions:

1) If I leave Florence SMN at 06:50, I can arrive at FCO at 09:22. Is this enough time to check in (I will have a bag to check) for an 11:20am departure from FCO?

2) What is the current lounge situation for US at FCO. Found some old threads on this, but not sure if that info is current.

3) What are the lounges like at CLT? Do they have showers?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: UsAir,Priority Club, Bing, Southwest
Originally Posted by CheVive
Hi All,

In Florence at the moment, and need to make a trip to DC in May. Hard to get redemption on OW from here without overnighting on the way somewhere and/or getting hit with massive charges for flying BA, so am considering a routing of FCO-CLT-DCA on US airways, flying in J.

Never flown US internationally, and haven't departed from FCO for the US in more than 10 years now. Have a few questions:

1) If I leave Florence SMN at 06:50, I can arrive at FCO at 09:22. Is this enough time to check in (I will have a bag to check) for an 11:20am departure from FCO?

2) What is the current lounge situation for US at FCO. Found some old threads on this, but not sure if that info is current.

3) What are the lounges like at CLT? Do they have showers?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I can only tell you based on last year. We will be doing FCO-CLT again in June so I can't tell you until then if the info is accurate.
Since you will be flying inter-Italy (assuming you check the bag all the way through in Florence) you will have plenty of time. You won't have to retrieve your bag and bring it through customs until CLT. The lounge at FCO is lacking in my opinion a few munchies, you can get an internet code it does have showers quality of the place went way down over the past few years- furniture worn etc. It is not far from the gate area though. I have only been in the CLT lounge on the outbound. Nice comfy seating, better snacks you used to be able to get whatever you wished to drink for free but now the choices are extremely limited. I don't know if they have showers as we only use the lounge on the outbound.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:48 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I've never flown from FCO, but I have travelled from Florence SMN to Rome, and delays are always possible. I'd be inclined to allow more time, especially since US flights from FCO require taking a bus from the terminal to the plane.

I have changed planes in CLT on LH/US flights MUC-CLT-DCA. I found CLT a very good airport for making international connections.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
When I see Florence SMN, I think you are travelling by train ... is that right? If so, then you will go into Rome Termini and you will not have enough time to get to FCO airport.

If you are flying from Florence to Rome then ignore my paragraph above.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
1.58h in FCO seems to me a little tight...
Trains in Italy are often delayed... You need to count to miss a connection... If, then I would take an earlier train to be on the safe side...

Why don't flying out of PSA? It's one hour from FLR by bus >link<
Code:
[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.6/Diamond - Timetable/NL]

PSA  Pisa Galileo Galilei Intl IT [LIRP]
IAD  Washington Dulles Intl DC US [KIAD]
MON  12 May 2014 - 19 May 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
BA         605     PSA   13:15     LHR   14:30     320  0   1234567     13:20       -       5   12 May   19 May
 -> BA     293     LHR   17:35     IAD   20:35     777  0                           5       -
Code:
[KVS Availability Tool 7.3.6/Diamond - Timetable/NL]
PSA  Pisa Galileo Galilei Intl IT [LIRP]
DCA  Washington Ronald Reagan National DC US [KDCA]
MON  12 May 2014 - 19 May 2014

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Effect | Ending | Exceptions
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ----------------------------------------------------------------
BA         605     PSA   13:15     LHR   14:30     320  0   123-567     15:10       -       5   09 May   19 May
 -> BA     113     LHR   15:55     JFK   18:45     744  0                           5       7
 -> BA/##  6800    JFK   21:05     DCA   22:25     ERD  0                           8       B
BA         605     PSA   13:15     LHR   14:30     320  0   ---4---     15:10       -       5   15 May   22 May
 -> BA     113     LHR   16:00     JFK   18:45     744  0                           5       7
 -> BA/##  6800    JFK   21:05     DCA   22:25     ERD  0                           8       B
BA         605     PSA   13:15     LHR   14:30     320  0   1234567     15:35       -       5   08 May   27 May
 -> BA     297     LHR   15:50     ORD   18:25     777  0                           5       5
 -> BA/AA  4890    ORD   20:05     DCA   22:50     738  0                           3       B
Old Apr 13, 2014, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by apeortdz
When I see Florence SMN, I think you are travelling by train ... is that right? If so, then you will go into Rome Termini and you will not have enough time to get to FCO airport.

If you are flying from Florence to Rome then ignore my paragraph above.
I assumed the OP was flying from FLR to FCO I didn't read very carefully. Yes if you are taking the train you will not have time sorry for the bad advice
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:30 pm

That would in fact be an arrival time by train at FCO airport. It calls for 15 minutes to connect at Termini, which could be tight with chances of delays on both trains. On a rail arrival, you would need to take the overpass from the station to Terminal 3, and get a bus to Terminal 5 to check in, so less time than I'd like, but with Business Class check-in, what do people think?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by rove312
That would in fact be an arrival time by train at FCO airport. It calls for 15 minutes to connect at Termini, which could be tight with chances of delays on both trains. On a rail arrival, you would need to take the overpass from the station to Terminal 3, and get a bus to Terminal 5 to check in, so less time than I'd like, but with Business Class check-in, what do people think?
we fly business from FCO each year. We always get there like two hours early and sit in the lounge for over an hour. But that is with a private driver depending on the train might be iffy.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:44 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
OP's arrival time will be at Fiumicino Airport and not at Roma Termini:

Code:
Firenze S. M. Novella 06:50 FRECCIAROSSA 9501 
Roma Termini          08:35

Roma Termini          08:50 LEONARDO EXPRESS 3288 
Fiumicino Aeroporto   09:22
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Ah...so it is by train but the train continues to FCO. That is OK then. But the OP still needs to be aware of possible train delays.

When we have travelled in Italy, we found the train generally to be on time.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:50 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
IMO. schedules usually mean little in Rome.

Oddly, I've even had 2 trains depart early and arrive late at FCO and Termini in February. I never imagined that ANYTHING could occur EARLY in Italy....

I would NOT chance the OP's plan.

There could be a mis-connect at Termini or a "checkin is closed" at FCO.

Is there a train 1 hour earlier?
Old Apr 13, 2014, 4:54 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by apeortdz
Ah...so it is by train but the train continues to FCO. That is OK then. But the OP still needs to be aware of possible train delays.

When we have travelled in Italy, we found the train generally to be on time.
No long distance trains go to/from FCO. Only Rome (FM1) commuter trains and the Leonardo Express to/from Termini.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 6:49 pm

After arrival at Termini at 8.35, how about taking a taxi direct to FCO T5, instead of connecting to Leonardo Express and shuttle bus?
Old Apr 14, 2014, 4:11 am

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Ye gads, my blood pressure went up just reading this thread.

If it were me, you couldn't pay me to attempt what the OP is describing. Pay up for an overnight in Rome or even better, at FCO. Yes it'll cost but you're flying int'l J on miles so just figure you're still well ahead of the game, with your nerves intact. (And a hotel night is still far less than YQ charges through LHR.) I've had train delays (and colossal automotive traffic delays) in Lazio.

Look at it this way too: if you miss your flight out of FCO your miles will be forfeit. I wouldn't take the chance, not in a million years.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by CheVive
...3) What are the lounges like at CLT? Do they have showers? ...
Neither of the two US Clubs in CLT have showers. The "C" Club is larger, and one of the better ones - also, the FCO flight arrives in time for hot soup in both Clubs

When traveling on an international award ticket, I do not take chances with missing a flight ... I'd use points to spend the night at an airport hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.