Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Clarification about Earning US Preferred Miles

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Clarification about Earning US Preferred Miles

On the US airways website, it says Dividend miles members are able to earn miles with oneworld partners using our Dividend miles number. But I have been unable to find an answer about earning preferred miles on oneworld flights. I need to book tickets to Europe soon so I'm just trying to figure out the details.

I looked through the forum and couldn't find much. It's also not very clear on the US Airways website...

Is anyone aware of the rules for earning dividend preferred qualifying miles on oneworld? Or better yet, as dividend preferred members, who do we actually earn preferred miles with anymore? Thanks folks! ^
Old Apr 4, 2014, 2:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As American Airlines and US Airways are still operating as distinct airlines, this question is being moved to the appropriate pre-merger airline forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator
_________
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
It's listed on the Preferred qualification page:

"Only miles earned on American Airlines or oneworld alliance airlines are Preferred-qualifying miles."
Old Apr 4, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA ExP (former HP/US), Marriott (former SPG) Lifetime Platinum, and most other major hotel programs
Originally Posted by dtremit

"Only miles earned on American Airlines or oneworld alliance airlines are Preferred-qualifying miles."
This is certainly the long-term policy. No one has reported actual results since the beginning of this month, so I wouldn't rule out EQMs for the legacy *A itineraries as long as those partnerships last. According the the relevant Wiki the end dates known so far are:
Non OneWorld carriers
Aegean Airlines
Air China
Air New Zealand - until June 29, 2014.
Avianca - until May 31, 2014
Eva Airlines - until May 14, 2014
Hawaiian Airlines, inter-island and South Pacific flights only
Jet Airways
Shenzen Airlines
Singapore Airlines, until July 31, no long haul premium cabins
South African Airways
TAP Air Portugal
Turkish Airlines - until July 31,2014
If you have to book now, I'd book a OW carrier to be on the safe side, but if your travel is within the windows listed above and you have time, you may want to wait to see whether actual legacy *A carrier miles are crediting as EQMs. I didn't have time, so I booked an Iberia flight for May.
Old Apr 4, 2014, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit

Dunno how I missed that one... thanks for the link.

"This is certainly the long-term policy. No one has reported actual results since the beginning of this month, so I wouldn't rule out EQMs for the legacy *A itineraries as long as those partnerships last"

My thoughts as well. I guess it could work if you're checking in at a US Airways check in and not one of the *A partners you listed.... might be hard for their system to accept a oneworld FF number... who knows.

I'm really curious to see how the travel experience differs on oneworld. I've been traveling with *A for as long as I've had to fly. I'm open minded and excited to try oneworld. Thanks for the advice PhoenixCMC! ^
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: None
Originally Posted by skiflyzander
I guess it could work if you're checking in at a US Airways check in and not one of the *A partners you listed.... might be hard for their system to accept a oneworld FF number... who knows.
Since there's no such thing as a "oneworld FF number" as long as a carrier remains a partner of US their systems should credit to DM as normal if you use you US FF#.

Jim
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
Since there's no such thing as a "oneworld FF number" as long as a carrier remains a partner of US their systems should credit to DM as normal if you use you US FF#.

Jim
Clearly there is no such thing as a oneworld frequent flier number, but I'm sure you understood what I meant. If not, I simply meant a frequent flier number from an airline under the oneworld umbrella. Such as: US airways. Hence the term, oneworld frequent flier number...
Old Apr 5, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: None
Since you were talking about legacy *A carriers and needing to check in at the US ticket counter it was less than clear - none of that involves one world. Any of the few remaining US partners - *A or merely a partner - should have the same ability to credit to US if you use your US "one world" FF number (the one that's the same as your "*A" FF number) that they've had since before US left *A. As long as a carrier, *A or not, has a relationship with US nothing has needed changing with that carrier's systems. So checking in at their ticket counter should be fine, just as it was before US changed alliances.

Jim
Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Also keep in mind you may not earn PQM on non-OW partner itineraries. In the past, other partners would earn RDMs only, with the exception of VS which also gave PQMs.
Old Apr 29, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: DL, US, CO, UA
Originally Posted by Superguy
Also keep in mind you may not earn PQM on non-OW partner itineraries. In the past, other partners would earn RDMs only, with the exception of VS which also gave PQMs.
This is the crux of the question. If I fly Singapore Airlines in May using my DM number, will I accrue Preferred Qualifying Miles or just regular old useless miles?
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by cltsig
This is the crux of the question. If I fly Singapore Airlines in May using my DM number, will I accrue Preferred Qualifying Miles or just regular old useless miles?
I emailed the Chairman's desk about this very issue, specifically booking an SQ operated, US coded flight. The answer was NO PQM's, only oneworld flights earn PQM's now.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd use caution when flying those non-oneworld partners.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by gottigotti
I emailed the Chairman's desk about this very issue, specifically booking an SQ operated, US coded flight. The answer was NO PQM's, only oneworld flights earn PQM's now.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd use caution when flying those non-oneworld partners.
Makes sense.

Historically, VS was the only exception where PQMs could be earned on a non-alliance partner flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.