Wiki Posts
Search

Bags run over? - oh my!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Bags run over? - oh my!

Ouch! I know I can get compensation for this but I don't have my receipt anymore. Suggestions?

Old Jan 16, 2014, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
<redacted>

how does THAT happen?

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 17, 2014 at 8:37 am Reason: redact inappropriate language
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:15 am

Shouldn't need a receipt. Were you at a smaller airport when you reported it? On many airlines, baggage services has a selection of new suitcases available to hand out for situations like this.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by iztok

how does THAT happen?
Tug 1, Suitcase 0
Old Jan 17, 2014, 6:24 am

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
A few years ago on a WN flight my friend boarded the plane only to see her bag being dragged behind the luggage cart and her stuff was falling out everywhere. It was a total nightmare trying to get reimbursed for all of her stuff and the now destroyed suitcase because she no longer had receipts for anything and they were only willing to give her 'fair market value' which was basically 25-50% of whatever it would cost to buy new.

Do you still have access to your credit card statements that show the purchase for the bag? That may be a start. And if it hasn't been too long / depending on the store, you may be able to get a duplicate receipt from the store.

I hope you have better luck with US than my friend did with WN... I'd probably be crying in the corner somewhere if my bag came out looking like that.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond, National Executive Elite
A few years ago on a WN flight my friend boarded the plane only to see her bag being dragged behind the luggage cart and her stuff was falling out everywhere.
Would've been a good video to grab…

OP, I assume you reported that before leaving the airport?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Ex Plt
Reported and on file. The route was MIA-PHL-DCA and the pics show what was left of my luggage in DCA. I was offered a new bag on the spot but I paid a bit for this one and since it is (was) a Samsonite, I'd like to get another one with a lifetime warranty. The offer was we have one bag, do you want it. Not much of a choice.

Telephone US CS stated that even though the damage was reported at the airport, that I still needed to fill out the online/pdf US baggage forms - not the most intuitive since the forms appear to be mainly for lost/missing luggage rather than damaged luggage.

Glad to hear that I shouldn't need a receipt (hopefully US agrees). I'll look for cc records.

No crying, it was more surreal than upsetting. In fact, I am surprised baggage CS wasn't laughing along with my half-hidden grin. It really was amusing to see what can happen to luggage. Amazingly, very little damage to the contents. And that US tape is wonderful . Now if I had lost a bunch of stuff like the poster above, then that would have generated a different reaction.

Cheers
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm practically speechless looking at the pictures.

Just another reason why I avoid checking a bag unless it is absolutely necessary.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
They probably picked one of the most expensive bags to run over on that flight! You'll get compensation, best luck to the results here!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Ouch.

Something like that happened to me in the 90s on TW. I was flying back to college over Christmas break and I brought my skis. They fell off the luggage train somewhere on the tarmac and got munched. They got trashed pretty bad.

Airline tried to depreciate everything and offered me a crappy settlement. We fought with them a bit and got what we should have out of them.

I hope it goes easily for you.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Please keep us posted on what they do for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.