Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking Hawaiian Air with Dividend Miles - Possible? How?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Booking Hawaiian Air with Dividend Miles - Possible? How?

I want to book a flight on Hawaiian airlines with my 40,000+ US Airways Dividend miles. But I cannot figure out for the life of me how to transfer my miles over to my Hawaiian miles account.

I have the flights picked out. Just need to make the transfer before I purchase.
Can anyone give me some clear directions on how to do this?

Apologies, I'm a bit of a n00b
o.O
Old Oct 22, 2013, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Well, nobody has responded to this post yet. But int he meantime, if anyone is wondering, I found out that you have to call them (800-428-4322) to book award travel with partner airlines.

Turns out that the dates I wanted are not shared by Hawaiian with US Airways. So looks like I'll be booking with completely different miles - probably United.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by tortoisemiler
Well, nobody has responded to this post yet. But int he meantime, if anyone is wondering, I found out that you have to call them (800-428-4322) to book award travel with partner airlines.

Turns out that the dates I wanted are not shared by Hawaiian with US Airways. So looks like I'll be booking with completely different miles - probably United.
I don't think that usairways.com does a good job of pointing out that you have to call to book partner awards. Stick around here long enough and read through some of the threads and you'll see it's pretty well known that you have to call.

If Hawaiian isn't releasing partner inventory to US you might find the same problem with UA.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:56 am

For future reference, you ticket awards by calling the airline holding your miles or using their website, even if you want to fly on a partner. This is true for basically all airline programs as far as I know (the exceptions being things like Chase Ultimate Rewards and hotel programs, where you do actually transfer points to the airline first).
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
For future reference too, mainland USA - Hawaii flights cannot be booked on Hawaiian Airlines using US DM miles ... from partner award chart footnote:

Award redemption on Hawaiian Airlines is available on inter-island and South Pacific flights only
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:56 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
OP - is there a reason you didn't opt to use your US miles to book on US or UA to Hawaii?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:37 am

Programs: None
To answer your other question, you can't directly move miles from one airline's FF program to another. There is a site that will do it but the exchange rate is terrible.

Jim
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:52 am

Programs: Everyone!
Can you book HNL to New Zealand using Hawaiian? They fly direct to Hawaiian, a difficult destinatio on most other carriers....
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Can you book HNL to New Zealand using Hawaiian? They fly direct to Hawaiian, a difficult destinatio on most other carriers....
In theory, yes, but I have yet to find award space opened up. Redemption levels are 80k for economy, which is a pretty crummy deal.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: Everyone!
Well, I was more thinking doing the full 110K total from domestic US (PIT for me) to AKL in Business.....I definitely see Hawaiaan inventory available on AA as part of their award booking tool but that may be completely different than the inventory to US.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by PGHflyer
Well, I was more thinking doing the full 110K total from domestic US (PIT for me) to AKL in Business.....I definitely see Hawaiaan inventory available on AA as part of their award booking tool but that may be completely different than the inventory to US.
Options are:

(1) Book before 3/31 and try to get an NZ award (I know, I know, I'm a real comedian)

(2) Book after 3/30 and fly Qantas and connect to NZ

(3) Suffer on US Airways' NK-esque experience to Hawai'i, then look for one of the mythical HA awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.