Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fares higher for Preferreds?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Um, I never saw the point of the OP as being that US should not be allowed to do this; or that, if they are doing this, that there is not a "work-around" (as OP made clear in the original post).

The issue, it seems to me, is that you would not know to do the work-around if you did not know that there might be a lower price out there. We were being told to be alert -- that this has happened at least once.

I appreciate the alert. It has value to me whether the issue is caused by an IT glitch or a marketing ploy. And thus my query, as posted above: Is anyone else seeing this happen now? (To be clear, I ask this not to impugn the OP's observation; just because I'm wondering how much to worry about this -- how much to add to the voodoo that I already feel I must do -- to keep this FT thing working right for me.)
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Um, I never saw the point of the OP as being that US should not be allowed to do this; or that, if they are doing this, that there is not a "work-around" (as OP made clear in the original post).

The issue, it seems to me, is that you would not know to do the work-around if you did not know that there might be a lower price out there. We were being told to be alert -- that this has happened at least once.

I appreciate the alert. It has value to me whether the issue is caused by an IT glitch or a marketing ploy. And thus my query, as posted above: Is anyone else seeing this happen now? (To be clear, I ask this not to impugn the OP's observation; just because I'm wondering how much to worry about this -- how much to add to the voodoo that I already feel I must do -- to keep this FT thing working right for me.)
I agree with everything you wrote. You're absolutely right that the most important take-away IF this is a deliberate ploy is that we are all now on alert and we know the work around, thanks to the OP.

However, if it's NOT a deliberate ploy, then it had to be either:

1) Normal price fluctuations. Possible? I guess. Likely? I don't know, considering that it seems OP saw those prices bounce back and forth within seconds or maybe just a few minutes.

2) An IT glitch. I think we can rule out that there is an ongoing glitch that causes flights to be higher for for preferreds on all routes, due to the lack of postings from anyone able to replicate this. I'm sure a lot of us (me included) have tried. Maybe it was just a momentary thing affecting preferreds on all routes at the time OP booked the flight. Maybe it's still ongoing, but it only affects some routes, one of which the OP stumbled upon. Or, maybe it's a glitch that has nothing to with status, and the OP's entering and removal of FF# was just coincidental. If the latter is true, we would all benefit from knowing how to avoid the glitch; leaving off our FF#'s will not help. That's why I think it's important to question what caused the price fluctuations observed by the OP.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 1:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Too bad US Airways doesn't have a decent low fare guarantee, or this would leave them open to a lot of claims!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.