Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2012 Changes to MoveUp Program [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:41 am

I'm flying out of ANC, AK so not sure if MoveUp is different to AK:

I'm doing ANC-PHX-JFK on US Airways

Arrival into PHX is 8am and I'm currently confirmed on the JFK flight that departs at 12pm - I'd like to MoveUp to the 8:58am flight as a Silver DM.

Question is whether I can request this at ANC airport (technically its the same day as its a red eye flight) or do I have to do it at PHX - will be a bit of a mad rush so much prefer to have everything sorted in ANC if possible...

Per US Airways it says must be done 'at the airport' but doesn't state whether its the departure airport of the flight you want to move up from?

Side point - is there a specific fare class that agents look to when considering whether to MoveUp? Or so long as there are still seats selling (whatever fare class) they will process the MoveUp?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:52 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Ability to "Move Up" when checking in: only at kiosks?

I have an early flight tomorrow and would like to Move Up to an even earlier one. Usually I'm offered the ability to Move Up to an earlier flight if I check in at a kiosk first.

However, is there any other way to check in and automatically be offered the ability to Move Up? Is it offered when checking in online or via the mobile site?

I assume not, since Move Ups have to be done at the airport, but I wanted to be sure!

Thank you.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
I'm flying out of ANC, AK so not sure if MoveUp is different to AK:

I'm doing ANC-PHX-JFK on US Airways

Arrival into PHX is 8am and I'm currently confirmed on the JFK flight that departs at 12pm - I'd like to MoveUp to the 8:58am flight as a Silver DM.

Question is whether I can request this at ANC airport (technically its the same day as its a red eye flight) or do I have to do it at PHX - will be a bit of a mad rush so much prefer to have everything sorted in ANC if possible...

Per US Airways it says must be done 'at the airport' but doesn't state whether its the departure airport of the flight you want to move up from?

Side point - is there a specific fare class that agents look to when considering whether to MoveUp? Or so long as there are still seats selling (whatever fare class) they will process the MoveUp?

Thanks!
You should be able to do it at ANC (though note that redeyes technically are the "previous" day in the eyes of US -- the MoveUp T&Cs state somewhere that the day starts at 3AM, not midnight). In terms of fare buckets, agents often try to. But they shouldn't, as this isn't a requirement. Push back if they cite fare buckets as a reason for not doing a MoveUp.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
In looking at the US mobile site, people appear on the standby list on the day before the flight.

How is this done? Can I get on the standby list when I check in online even the day before the flight, or do I call? Or is it a glitch?

I always thought that I had to get on the list at the airport.

Thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
In looking at the US mobile site, people appear on the standby list on the day before the flight.

How is this done? Can I get on the standby list when I check in online even the day before the flight, or do I call? Or is it a glitch?

I always thought that I had to get on the list at the airport.

Thanks.
I had the same question recently. Names on the list are most likely non-revs listing for the flight.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
The upgrade list can begin being populated 24 hours in advance by those eligible who choose that option at check in. I presume the regular standby list is initially populated by airline industry workers/family members/etc.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: TK M&S E, *A Gold, AP, Asia Miles, Nexus, Marriott Silver
We are booked from YYZ to SJU via PHL on US. Would it be possible to MoveUp to a codeshare flight on AA via MIA? Thanks so much.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 12:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by yyzcdg
We are booked from YYZ to SJU via PHL on US. Would it be possible to MoveUp to a codeshare flight on AA via MIA? Thanks so much.
Nope:
We allow you to move up to an earlier flight on the day of departure on US Airways flights.
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...ds/MoveUp.html
Old Nov 22, 2014, 1:26 am
kpj

When can I request a "MoveUp" change?

Hi,

I'm flying US Airways soon and thinking about using "MoveUp" to take an earlier flight. I understand that MoveUp allows one to take an earlier flight on the same day within 6 hours window. But when can I actually request that change? For example, AA Moveup allows to make change 24 hrs before departure, but I cannot find any info on US Airways. Does it have to be the same day of the travel? Or can I request the day before? Would anyone who has used MoveUp explain?

BTW, AA allows MoveUp to be requested online and on the phone, but US airways requires one has to be at the airport to make a change, which I think is really inconvenient.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 3:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by kpj
Hi,

I'm flying US Airways soon and thinking about using "MoveUp" to take an earlier flight. I understand that MoveUp allows one to take an earlier flight on the same day within 6 hours window. But when can I actually request that change? For example, AA Moveup allows to make change 24 hrs before departure, but I cannot find any info on US Airways. Does it have to be the same day of the travel? Or can I request the day before? Would anyone who has used MoveUp explain?

BTW, AA allows MoveUp to be requested online and on the phone, but US airways requires one has to be at the airport to make a change, which I think is really inconvenient.
Must be requested at the airport on the day of departure.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 12:45 pm
kpj

Originally Posted by gruss
Must be requested at the airport on the day of departure.
Thanks. It's really bad that they made it not as flexible as AA (I thought they are now the same company. The flight is code-shared with AA).

One more question. For MoveUp, is the fee $75 flat or $75 + any fare difference? The earlier flight only has those "choice" seats for which you have to extra.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
AA does not offer Move Up at all. Its same day standby/change policies are completely different and the carriers have not merged into one operating certificate yet. For these purposes, they are two separate airlines.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by kpj
Thanks. It's really bad that they made it not as flexible as AA (I thought they are now the same company. The flight is code-shared with AA).

One more question. For MoveUp, is the fee $75 flat or $75 + any fare difference? The earlier flight only has those "choice" seats for which you have to extra.
75 flat, waived for preferred members. The agent would select a seat for you at the time you move up.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 9:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
If the flights per day are more than 6 hours apart, then it is Standby (with all applicable rules/waivers) correct? Can I be added to the Standby List via phone?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by nycatl
If the flights per day are more than 6 hours apart, then it is Standby (with all applicable rules/waivers) correct? Can I be added to the Standby List via phone?
Standby (on US) does not apply when the flights are more than 6 hours apart ...

Standby

Seats on completely booked flights may become available if passengers with confirmed reservations don't show up for the flight.

If there isn't an open seat on an earlier US Airways flight that departs within 6 hours of your originally scheduled departure, you may stand by for that flight at no charge.

You cannot stand by at no charge if:
•We can confirm that there's an open seat available for that flight
•You have one or more connecting flights
Since Standby is linked to MoveUp, and MoveUp can only be done at airport, I'm assuming Standby can only be done at airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.