Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preferred lane etiquette

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by fordan
They apparently Did not Know Who you were.
The issue here - treat all customers with respect. It is easy to ask if someone is first class, business class, elite or coach and direct them - with respect - to the right line.

Respect should be expected - and provided by airlines. We are not just fliers, we are customers. All of us.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by 110pgl
The issue here - treat all customers with respect. It is easy to ask if someone is first class, business class, elite or coach and direct them - with respect - to the right line.

Respect should be expected - and provided by airlines. We are not just fliers, we are customers. All of us.
Don't disagree with this. But you could have gotten what you wanted by simply saying "I'm in first, not coach, but either way, is that an appropriate tone?" to the rep. But instead you don't give them a chance to correct their mistake, you verbally berate them and their supervisor, and send off an angry letter, all of which are more the actions of a DYKWIA, especially since their actions didn't actually harm you.

More flies with honey than vinegar and all that.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: US CP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
The passenger was a young mother with a child in a stroller, and not dressed for either a business trip or to get through security quickly.

I did not say anything to the passenger- I figured that she may well have just as much right to be in the Preferred line as I did.
A couple years ago I was checking in for a ridiculously early flight at LAX with my son about age 6 or 7, car seat in tow, running late, dressed in jeans. Guy next to me, in nice business casual clothes, walks ahead of me when the next agent opens up - I stop to correct him but first the agent waves him on. He looks back at me and says very obnoxiously "Ha, I am a SILVER preferred member." To which I say to both he and agent, "And I am Chairman."

Most of my flights each year are on business, and I look the part. The other 2 or 3 when I have part or all of my family with me, I definitely do not - but it doesn't change anything.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:14 am

Don't disagree with this. But you could have gotten what you wanted by simply saying "I'm in first, not coach, but either way, is that an appropriate tone?" to the rep. But instead you don't give them a chance to correct their mistake, you verbally berate them and their supervisor, and send off an angry letter, all of which are more the actions of a DYKWIA, especially since their actions didn't actually harm you.

More flies with honey than vinegar and all that.
Berate? Really? Silly. It seems you are caught up is some sort of "elite envy". Most of us that fly hundreds of thousands of miles a year, just want to get from point a to point b.

I could have easily just ignored the snotty agent - and I do most of the time. But, if you fly a lot, you see how bad some agents (not all, but some) treat passengers/customers that are not elite. Treat all customers with respect.

Not an angry letter at all. Just recounted the facts. If the airline felt there was no problem, then they would ignore the letter. Up to them. Of course they sent a letter back apologizing for the behavior of the agent and assuring me that is not appropriate. (And a 100 voucher - but that was not the point of the letter.) Did it get back to the agent? I would have no idea. But, perhaps if more people would speak up - respectfully, agents would treat customers with more respect.

The squeaky wheel and all that.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 5:22 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by orfflyer
+1

I was in CLT last week and everyone was patiently waiting to board when some guy walks into the priority lane and queues up - at first it struck me as kind of douchey but as I thought about it I really couldn't come up with a reason that someone in first shouldn't go ahead and enter the lane. Whaddayathink...
I agree. It's ridiculous to hang back from the priority lane if you're in F. I usually get in line about 5 - 10 minutes before boarding starts when I'm in F and half a dozen lemmings immediately follow. Going back in time when TSA had mandatory random bag checks at the gate, everyone held back from being the first to line up to avoid a bag check. I think that legacy is why some people still don't want to be the first in line.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:06 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
They apparently Did not Know Who you were.
Worse, they did not know what the benefits of the ticket in hand were.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by DCBob
I agree. It's ridiculous to hang back from the priority lane if you're in F. I usually get in line about 5 - 10 minutes before boarding starts when I'm in F and half a dozen lemmings immediately follow. Going back in time when TSA had mandatory random bag checks at the gate, everyone held back from being the first to line up to avoid a bag check. I think that legacy is why some people still don't want to be the first in line.
I'd still rather have that then the random bag checks. BTW, I actually saw a random bag check about a month ago. I was quite surprised...
Old Jul 15, 2012, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by Top10Buys
I'd still rather have that then the random bag checks. BTW, I actually saw a random bag check about a month ago. I was quite surprised...
RDU TSA has tried that on me twice in the past month at the gate. Both times, I was (truthfully) on conference call at the time, I ignored them, walked on by and boarded. The gate agents chuckled. I feel safer.

Gate checks, while they do provide a backup control against the failure of the main checkpoint to detect something bad, are an admission of failure at the main checkpoint if they have to be used regularly.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 6:47 am

Programs: US Chairman, Hilton Diamond
Preferred Lane Etiquette

Actually, once the prior flight has de-planed, I just go ahead and get in the line. To me, it is just a clear place to stand and I am eligible to use it, anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:16 am

Programs: US CP/AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Jaxxon
Actually, once the prior flight has de-planed, I just go ahead and get in the line. To me, it is just a clear place to stand and I am eligible to use it, anyway.
I do that as well. However, on several occasions, especially in PHX, I have had the GAs tell me to move out of the line, and not approach until boarding starts. So, then I move out the line, and more people start the line, and I end up at the end of the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.