Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Early US flight at PHL. Screening hours?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2012, 4:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Early US flight at PHL. Screening hours?

A friend who's a bit of a novice flyer has a very early flight out of PHL next week. She got burned by a long TSA line once and missed a flight and now tries to show up for screening very early. She consulted her airline oracle (that's me BTW) about how early the TSA lines open at PHL.

Well, her oracle has hit a wall in searching the web and is now turning to his oracle (That's FT BTW ) for an answer on how early TSA screening starts at PHL terminal C and B?
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: None
The "standard" is 90 minutes before the first departure from that concourse (at airports with screening at each concourse like PHL). I suspect that local TSA management has some leeway, depending on the size of airplane and how long between the 1st departure and the next departures.

For example, if the first departure from F-Con is a 50 seat RJ and the next departure is another 50 seater 30 minutes later, the checkpoint might not open till 45-60 minutes prior to that first departure - that's plenty of time to screen 50 or fewer passengers since boarding wouldn't start till 20 minutes or less prior to departure.

On the other hand, if the first departure is a 757, the next is an A321 3 minutes later and then a steady stream of mainline departures the TSA would probably open the full 90 minutes or maybe more prior to that first departure to get all the passengers through screening in time.

Jim
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro
How early is early?

I went through screening last week at Terminal F at about 5:30am and it looked like plenty of people were already through and in the terminal.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 6:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
If the B/C line is long, go left to D or right to A for a (likely) shorter line. It is a 5-minute diversion.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:11 am

I just took an early flight from B/C a couple weeks ago and I was told they open the security line at 4:30. I arrived at about 4:45 and it was open then, hope this helps.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
The "standard" is 90 minutes before the first departure from that concourse (at airports with screening at each concourse like PHL). I suspect that local TSA management has some leeway, depending on the size of airplane and how long between the 1st departure and the next departures.
Originally Posted by Okierider
I just took an early flight from B/C a couple weeks ago and I was told they open the security line at 4:30. I arrived at about 4:45 and it was open then, hope this helps.
She's on the 05:30 to CLT. Mainline aircraft out of B or C. If the TSA standard is correct then screening should open at 4:00 for a 5:30 flight. However, this is PHL so I'm looking for something definitive.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:02 am

Programs: US-G/*G, SPG-G, MR-G, Avis-F
YMMV, but the earliest I have ever seen security open is 0430. Depending on the day of the week, it will be somewhat uncrowded (>30 mins) or the line could go back to the people mover, at the B security gate (>30 mins). C is about the same.

Don't tell anyone, but A-West is the place to be for both garage parking and security... shhhhhh
Old Jan 11, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
When I punish myself with the 0530 to CLT, TSA normally opens B at 4:30 (US 1420 usually goes out of B10). This has been consistent over the pst few years, and as recently as November. I would suggest a drop off at B/C at 4:15, a few minutes later if already checked in. I've never even come close to missing zone 1 boarding on this flight.

I do not suggest going to other terminals at that hour - I've seen TSA finally get around to opening D security a few minutes after 5am, for example.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
I'm on the 5:15am PHL-CLT flight out of Terminal F this week.

Anybody know if TSA currently opens earlier than 4:30am and in which terminal? I have PreCheck and can normally zip through, but slightly worried about long lines even at that early hour ...

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by kudzu
I'm on the 5:15am PHL-CLT flight out of Terminal F this week.

Anybody know if TSA currently opens earlier than 4:30am and in which terminal? I have PreCheck and can normally zip through, but slightly worried about long lines even at that early hour ...

Thanks.
Can't vouch for the accuracy of the source, but per this PDF buried a few pages deep in Google, all checkpoints that have Precheck open at 4am. It doesn't note F and from what I can see online it doesn't look like F has Precheck. Your could always enter at A-East, B, or C and take the shuttle over to F.

http://i.slimg.com/sc/aw/photo/t/ts/tsa_chart_.pdf
Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
F does not have Precheck OR a priority line. If you have Pre, you can go through the WTMD, but need to follow all other non-Pre protocols with liquids, laptops, etc.

That said, the line at F usually moves fairly quickly.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I just did the 5:40 AA PHL-ORD flight out of T1 this AM. Went through TSA at 5:10AM. Two weeks ago, did the same flight but had to check some golf clubs - needed to be there 45 minutes before. Arrived at 4:50AM and walked by the open TSA & PreCheck lines on my way to checking the clubs.

Should not be a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.