Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Airplane mode" is not good enough?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:54 pm

Actually, that's just a 2006 revision. The original does go back to 1993.

And on the other hand, when in an "off" state the devices do emit significantly less EM than when "on", even if they're not 100% powered down.

As I think I've mentioned before, the view is that making you put your stuff away for 10 minutes when the cabin is supposed to be "buttoned up" anyway is not viewed as onerous.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
To throw fuel on the fire -- US isn't even internally consistent about this rule. From the December 2011 US Airways Magazine, there's this gem:

You know the drill before take-off — the flight attendant reviews safety information and then asks everyone to power down electronic devices…even your beloved cell phone. But why is it necessary for you to turn off your hand-held lifeline? Cell phones transmit and receive high frequency radio waves, which the FAA has determined have the potential to interfere with aircraft navigation and communications equipment. The only way to stop your phone from transmitting is to turn it off or, on some newer phones, switch to airplane mode (using silent mode is not enough).
Please use any approved electronic device only once the flight crew announces that it’s safe to do so…we’re pretty sure that one text message can wait.
Emphasis mine -- "turn it off OR...switch to airplane mode." You can argue whether or not they meant it to apply to takeoff and landing, but they're certainly setting up an equivalency between airplane mode and off.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 3:07 pm

Turn off all electronic devices has been the rule for years, as many years as I can remember. Off means "Off" and Airplane mode is not "Off".
I notice that a lot of people are pushing these limits a lot more recently

What's the big freaking deal? One person stated turning it off is more annoying than airplane mode, really ? Too tough for you ?

I don't think airplane mode has any effect on the plane at all either, but the rule is "Off" so just do it, it's not a big deal, and the FA's are the law on that plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.