Wiki Posts
Search

So who is NOT Silver Perfered now?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, DL SM, Marriott Silver, Amex Plat
So who is NOT Silver Perfered now?

I've had silver status with US Air for about 4 years now (reaching platinum hopefully this year with a lot more travel) but I've never seen so many people having silver status before than this year.

I was just at PHL this morning and the line of people at the desk waiting on standby for SP was crazy. On my flight alone, there was 4 people within arms reach that were all SP asking the FA's if everyone has checked in for first class.

No wonder why there are no upgrades left. I remember even last year being on flights with empty first class seats. Not that is a bad thing for US to get more loyal customers, but just allowing anyone to become SP for a few bucks seems a bit unfair to the rest of us that have to deal with the crappy $7 box meals and half a dozen people asking if they can have your exit row seat so they can sit near a friend.

I just went to call to get the trial upgrade to GP or PP but I guess somehow I was in a trial last year and not eligible... looks like ill be doing some runs to rack up 20k miles ASAP to get to gold
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
I'm not Silver.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:55 pm
Suspended

I am silver the old fashioned way (not free with ticket purchase) and am pretty upset, because...well, I never get upgrades anymore....most likely because of all these new silvers.
if you flew 25k to get it thats awesome, but if US gives it away, I cant blame the pax...only the airline.
Boooooo
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
I am silver the old fashioned way (not free with ticket purchase) and am pretty upset, because...well, I never get upgrades anymore....most likely because of all these new silvers.
if you flew 25k to get it thats awesome, but if US gives it away, I cant blame the pax...only the airline.
Boooooo
also before I am attacked (inevitable)

1) my job no longer has be traveling over 25k a year

2) im charlotte based

3) I refuse to pay $200 for gold simply because...why should I?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by bossku69
I've had silver status with US Air for about 4 years now (reaching platinum hopefully this year with a lot more travel) but I've never seen so many people having silver status before than this year.

I was just at PHL this morning and the line of people at the desk waiting on standby for SP was crazy. On my flight alone, there was 4 people within arms reach that were all SP asking the FA's if everyone has checked in for first class.
Just to clarify: If you're SP and there are open F seats, you are eligible for a free upgrade? Is that what you're saying? I always thought they were paid.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by charlotteimmigration
also before I am attacked (inevitable)

1) my job no longer has be traveling over 25k a year

2) im charlotte based

3) I refuse to pay $200 for gold simply because...why should I?
if you only travel every once in a while then i wouldnt worry about it. i make about 10 or so trips a year to LA and 2 to Vegas. On that 5 hour flight, i like to be able to get some work done and is very hard in coach

if you think about it, to pay to upgrade will probably cost you MORE than what it costs to do the trial program. I believe its $150 or more at the gate to upgrade ONE WAY first class

plus if your like me... 6'3" and a big guy, those tiny seats are not that comfortable for long trips

Originally Posted by ariyo15
Just to clarify: If you're SP and there are open F seats, you are eligible for a free upgrade? Is that what you're saying? I always thought they were paid.
as long as you buy them from US Air directly (not from a broker site or something like cheaptickets dot com) then if there are open seats you can request the free upgrades. if they are open 48 hours before your flight, their system will automatically try and upgrade you... you'll get an email.

In any case, just irritates me what US does. I know from a business stand point they need more loyal customers but hosing everyone else who has been loyal to them for years is a kick in the balls IMO
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
For what it's worth, if there are more silvers than there are open seats in F, the system will process the upgrades based on miles flown in the previous year. If you flew 45,000 miles last year and someone else flew 10,000 (but got Silver due to the free promo), you'll get upgraded before them.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:33 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Please keep in mind that a Silver who has qualified on actual Butt in Seat miles will trump a Silver who has qualified on a promo who hasn't flown as many BIS miles. As long as there's elites (of any level) with a higher number of miles, then the "paper Silvers" won't be getting the F seats.

The only exception as far as I know is someone who pays the "Preferred Instant Upgrade" fares which is going to trump even the CP's and if they're willing to pay, they're entitled to the seat in my book. Those Y-up fares are not usually cheap. Or possibly a Silver who books very close to flight time, when F is already full and other, lower-mileage Silvers have the seats, but now you're talking about booking the day before travel; the window for the lower-mileage Silver to take a higher-mileage Silver's seat is pretty short, so I am not sure how often that's going to happen.

So the "paper silver" who bought a $200 ticket for a 700 mile trip and hasn't flown any other US flights isn't going to take a seat away from a Silver who qualified on flying last year and has flown more. The impact might not be as bad as it sounds.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Originally Posted by dcpatti
Please keep in mind that a Silver who has qualified on actual Butt in Seat miles will trump a Silver who has qualified on a promo who hasn't flown as many BIS miles. As long as there's elites (of any level) with a higher number of miles, then the "paper Silvers" won't be getting the F seats.

The only exception as far as I know is someone who pays the "Preferred Instant Upgrade" fares which is going to trump even the CP's and if they're willing to pay, they're entitled to the seat in my book. Those Y-up fares are not usually cheap. Or possibly a Silver who books very close to flight time, when F is already full and other, lower-mileage Silvers have the seats, but now you're talking about booking the day before travel; the window for the lower-mileage Silver to take a higher-mileage Silver's seat is pretty short, so I am not sure how often that's going to happen.

So the "paper silver" who bought a $200 ticket for a 700 mile trip and hasn't flown any other US flights isn't going to take a seat away from a Silver who qualified on flying last year and has flown more. The impact might not be as bad as it sounds.
Yep you beat me to it dcpatti
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Yes, but if you are any preferred member you can call and request the seat if it is open 48 hours prior to the flight.

The last flight I was on from LAX to CLT the guy sitting next to me said he called at 4am and got the open FC seat for a flight that left at 11am. I had mine (luckily somehow) on the upgrade list but I cant imagine how many other SP let alone gold, plat and CP didn't get the seat.

The whole thing that started this rant was on a flight today from PHL to LAX where a lady sitting 2 rows in front of me was flirting with the FA to get an open first class seat. He even said "i'll put your name on the list and let you know if they show up." A bit taken back, as well knowing I was probably towards the top of the list, I also inquired to which he responded that I was the 10th person so far to ask.

Right before the doors closed the last two people showed up and sat down in their FC seats and the FA came back to the woman and apologized there was no seats, to which she responded about why did she buy this Silver Preferred membership if she doesn't get upgrades lol
Old Jul 6, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
As of a few months ago, you couldn't call in to force an upgrade any more. I have heard in this forum that an agent sometimes pushes the upgrade through against policy, but I don't know the magic words to make that happen. The CP desk won't do it for me and I've found the sweeps do what they're supposed to do. How recently did this happen for you?
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
I think the old saying holds true more today than ever, if you want to sit up front you need to pay for it.

This year I started out as Silver and was fairly lucky with upgrades and one my first flight with Gold that has F I got upgraded to CLT and then to DFW. Of course this makes me happy but if I did not upgraded I would not be upset. If I really wanted to sit up front I woud have paid for it or I would have tried to book the ticket using miles.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

As of a few months ago, you couldn't call in to force an upgrade any more. I have heard in this forum that an agent sometimes pushes the upgrade through against policy, but I don't know the magic words to make that happen. The CP desk won't do it for me and I've found the sweeps do what they're supposed to do. How recently did this happen for you?
this was back in mid May. if i could find a flight with open FC seats within 48 hours, I would buy it and try it myself... but slim chance on that
Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bossku69
this was back in mid May. if i could find a flight with open FC seats within 48 hours, I would buy it and try it myself... but slim chance on that
I am flying CLT-DFW on Thursday and my flight still has 6 empty first class seats. By this time all Silver members should have been upgraded.
Old Jul 6, 2010, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neotope
I am flying CLT-DFW on Thursday and my flight still has 6 empty first class seats. By this time all Silver members should have been upgraded.
is that a pretty popular flight?

my flights from PHL/CLT to LAX are almost always completely sold out so its really rare to find an open first class seat, let alone aisle seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.