Search

Upgrade Dilemna-- what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2010, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Upgrade Dilemna-- what would you do?

I know it's still a couple weeks out but I like to plan ahead

We're booked US 1439 CLT-LAX on 9 July. ExpertFlyer and KVS both say F6 which is less than half of the FC remaining on this A321. My boyfriend is Gold and I am CP and we are on the same PNR. In this situation, would you:

--leave the PNR as-is and cross fingers that there will be enough inventory released at the CP window (or sometime before the Plat window) that we will both be upgraded together ? We'll end up together either way.

or

--break the PNR, knowing that the CP upgrade will have a better chance of going through on its own, then try to upgrade the Gold on miles or wait for Gold window based on what's showing in inventory after the CP's ? We might end up separated.

We have exit row already (row 9, on the right) so we should be OK if we don't get cleared, but we're starting out on a pretty long International trip and would rather have F if we can get it. Our return flight on the 23rd is showing F7 so we'll probably follow the same protocol coming back. Already called to try to upgrade with miles and they've not released the inventory yet.

What would you do in this situation?

thanks as always!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by dcpatti
...What would you do in this situation?...
(from one CP to another): Oh Ye of Little Faith

I've done several US1439s on Fridays this year; on every one, we (+ companion) have been auto-upgraded, though usually not at the window but a few days after.

Knowing as a CP that the odds are with me, I won't split the PNR until F0 or F1 is showing. Like you, we have exit row seats booked.

In short, if it were me, I'd leave the PNR as is, until F0/F1

Good luck!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Yes I do have little faith
and I'm not used to doing the transcon's with a companion; we usually do tatl together (upgrade on my certs or our miles) or east coast trips from dca where we are at 100% upgrade success. I'll relax and keep my fingers crossed!
Old Jun 19, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LUS DM CP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Emerald Exec
I would second Kudzu - leave the PNR together - I've been doing transcons via CLT (LAX, SAN) the past couple of months with Mrs. RTVLaw (CP me and SP her) and we've been upgraded R/T each time. Of course, the 5:45 am DCA to CLT is a bit painful....
Old Jun 19, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: US C.P.
IMHO, you are certainly best to leave the pnr alone. For me, the deciding issue is that you hold 9D,E. Those seats are every bit as good as F. There is actually more leg room, and whoever gets 9E doesn´t even have to compete for the armrest, since there is no 9F. The seats are almost as big, so unless one of you is a much larger person, they are great seats. My opinion might be different if you were in 31B and 32B, but where you are, take your chances, save your miles, and have a comfortable and wonderful flight.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 8:50 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by itsme110
For me, the deciding issue is that you hold 9D,E. Those seats are every bit as good as F. There is actually more leg room, and whoever gets 9E doesn´t even have to compete for the armrest, since there is no 9F. The seats are almost as big, so unless one of you is a much larger person, they are great seats.

Every bit as good as F??? That's a little over the top, no? F seats are wider and recline more.

I agree that for coach seats, 9D and 9E are great, especially for couples. I prefer 10A or 10F because I like the window view.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

Yep, the porthole on row 9 leaves a lot to be desired!
Old Jun 20, 2010, 12:20 am

Programs: None
As you know, there's also the meal/adult beverage advantage to F if that's important. FWIW, I did check availability this afternoon and it was 6 open seats as ExpertFlyer and KVS showed. Coach was showing 68 open seats so you might be able to have one side of a row to yourself although as you say it's still to early to guess what the load will end up being.

Jim
Old Jun 21, 2010, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

KVS now shows F3 so I guess I will just be happy that we have 9DE, and enough time for a drink in CLT!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.